AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Jul 7, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #196 of 1,184

Quote:
I'm listening to a pair of K340s' that I received yesterday, it's the first CD that I have been listening to, so I'm not going to say much, other than I like what I hear so far. I'll try to make a comparison with the K400s' that I have been using as my main cans for the last year and a half or so.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.  I also own a K400 which I really enjoy.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jul 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #197 of 1,184

Quote:
I would be interested to hear your thoughts.  I also own a K400 which I really enjoy.

I really like the K340s they seem fuller sounding, with slightly better bass, but are still as detailed or even more detailed than the K400, perhaps thx to the fact that the treble is more extended without being bright or sibliant. The soundstage is not as wide but it's better defined and might be deeper. With some music my EF2 amp might be holding me back for instance I felt that "Bitches brew" by Miles Davis was a bit slow with the K340s compared to the K400s, the same might be true for some John Scofield guitar jazz that I listened to yesterday, but I'm not too familiar with that record. Right now I'm doing some relaxed A-B'ing with "Free Jazz" by Ornette Coleman sporting a jazz quartet in each channel and here it also seems that the K400s are a bit better as they can keep the pace up, this could be down to amping, but I think it's worth noting. As you can probably guess I'm mostly listening to jazz music but The Beatles sounded really nice and I didn't find the midrange recessed as I could clearly hear the lyrics and I think I even managed to hear a word I never heard before, but my µDAC might be helping here as many find it forward in the mids. 
I will keep both headphones and I'm actually not in an hurry to upgrade my cans even though I think I will have to try the K50x and K240DF.
Please note that these impressions are thrown together very quick and that I don't have a lot of experience with different gear and headphones.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #198 of 1,184
Okay, I'm ready to put a few more thoughts down after listening to my pair for most of today.  I'll write a review in a couple weeks once my thoughts have settled more.

They are hard to drive, but they aren't THAT hard to drive.  My Denon receiver can't push them enough, but my Yamaha, custom amp, and Cute Battery II can all make them sound excellent.

In fact, these might be the best sounding headphones I own.  While I feel like I'm betraying my 990/600s by saying that, I've been stunned by how well these have handled everything I've thrown at them today.  I've discovered over the past few months that I prefer neutral sounding headphones on the most part, with a tendency towards brightness and clarity (but nice bass, too).  These are easily faster than anything else I've used, including the Fostex ortho and the GMP 450, which are really nimble.  With the electrets, that doesn't surprise me that much.  What does shock me is how darn musical they are.  They have this nice, punchy bass that really hits hard when needed, but stays completely out of the way the rest of the time.  Voices are totally spectacular, as are other instruments.  Somehow, they are a bit aggressive but also have a wide, airy soundstage.  The treble is crisp and sharp without ever getting sibilant and overly bright. 

I have yet to find a track that I don't like these headphones on.

Awesome discovery of the day?  This is the best I've ever heard The Mingus Big Band dish out Moanin'.  These handle everything happening all at the same time, while still tossing some oomph into the bassline and singing out each cymbal clash.  Glorious.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #199 of 1,184

Quote:
.... how darn musical they are. ....  Voices are totally spectacular, as are other instruments.  ....Somehow, they are a bit aggressive but also have a wide, airy soundstage.  The treble is crisp and sharp without ever getting sibilant and overly bright ....

I generally agree with the description as above except the parts which I had struck out. As for the bass, for me, it is present and is controlled with adequate extension and impact.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #200 of 1,184
The 340 induce a tingle down my spine with string instruments.. Accurate or not, they hit a part of me that goes straight to my soul.. I just wish I had a amp to really get the best of them.. Another hidden gem..

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #202 of 1,184
just got mine. will spend some time, try different amps, and compare to my fave akg, the 240m

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #203 of 1,184
My mint pair will never be sold, the K340 are something special!
Been a while though since i last really listened to them; hooked on the T1 sound atm.
Juust put em on; curse them coiled cables! but the sound is still very special, not comparible to the T1 though (or is it my brain that needs to be ajusted to the '70 sound again :wink:)

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #204 of 1,184
Recently acquired a K340 with box. Box is in a right state, but the cans are 99% mint! These are my first non-Grado cans, completely different sound; unfortunately my cheapo amps don't do my cans much justice. My Bravo hybrid comes closest to driving the 340, but considering their condition I'm probably going to box them till I can afford a more worthy amp. Anybody have any experience with the Darkvoice 336SE? I see people generally recommend the 336i, but this one is no longer available and doesn't turn up a lot 2nd hand (is it so good, that nobody wants to sell theirs
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #206 of 1,184
There are lots of mods you can do, but I think modding them is to head down the dark path. Better to amp them properly, and enjoy them for what they are, IMO.

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #208 of 1,184
When I had a modded pair, I did find stuffing the pads increased the bass, but at the expense of some clarity.

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #209 of 1,184

Quote:
When I had a modded pair, I did find stuffing the pads increased the bass, but at the expense of some clarity.

Which is not necessarily their strong point to begin with.  I definitely like mine as they are, though it really is true: they need more amplification than any of my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back