AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Mar 11, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #136 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you go into detail on the musicality difference between K340 and K501? On coherency I might agree but on musicality.....Please elaborate us.

Well to me compared to the K501 the K340 has a harsher, analytic sound. I just don't find those traits "musical" although I understand that some may disagree. The K501 is just so effortlessly smooth in how the different frequency ranges sort of meet up and blend together. Everything sounds like it belongs together as there is no disconnect between the mid range and treble nor is their a smooth mid range and a slightly harsher treble (a la K701).

I am not saying that the K340 isn't "musical" so to speak. It is less analytical and more musical than the K701 IMO. It is very enjoyable. I just think that generally the K501 is better at being musical. The K340 edges it out sometimes on music that demands more low end authority but not often.

Maybe with a more powerful amp the K340 would walk all over the K501. I can hear the potential if that is the case. Although my M^3 pushes them quite nice at the 12 o'clock volume mark.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #137 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darkvoice 336i have been recommended by others. Have not personaly heard it. I would at least stay away from amplifiers with high output impedance because it alters the frequency response of K340 too much and does no favours for the bass tightness. So I would at least stay away from Graham Slee Solo and similar high output impedance amplifiers. Receivers generaly have a high output impedance so stay away from them.

I have K340 and DV336i, it's a very very good budget combination. I use them as my main listening can these days. I have yet to hear a solid state amp that I like with the 340's. The Gilmore lite just didn't cut it, but the DV - it makes them sing.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #138 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd be like me - you'd end up buying another pair of K340's
biggrin.gif

I've thought about selling mine a few times in the past, but then I got a decent tube amp.. now I'd never sell them!

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #139 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well to me compared to the K501 the K340 has a harsher, analytic sound. I just don't find those traits "musical" although I understand that some may disagree. The K501 is just so effortlessly smooth in how the different frequency ranges sort of meet up and blend together. Everything sounds like it belongs together as there is no disconnect between the mid range and treble nor is their a smooth mid range and a slightly harsher treble (a la K701).

I am not saying that the K340 isn't "musical" so to speak. It is less analytical and more musical than the K701 IMO. It is very enjoyable. I just think that generally the K501 is better at being musical. The K340 edges it out sometimes on music that demands more low end authority but not often.

Maybe with a more powerful amp the K340 would walk all over the K501. I can hear the potential if that is the case. Although my M^3 pushes them quite nice at the 12 o'clock volume mark.

Thanks for your impressions. I feel that K501 can not keep up in the rythm department against K340. That is the deciding factor for me. But as you pointed out people looking for more coherent, whole presentation will probably like more of K501.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #141 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or If I was stupid to sell my K340, how much will I have to spend to better it??

Please keep them in this country
smily_headphones1.gif

Going rate in UK for unmodded K340s in good shape, I would guesstimate at 110-130UK...right now.

You will struggle to better them as they are unique.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #142 of 1,184
Ah, a fresh thread on the K340s. That was a fun read. Glad to see that people are still enjoying them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #143 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please keep them in this country
smily_headphones1.gif

Going rate in UK for unmodded K340s in good shape, I would guesstimate at 110-130UK...right now.

You will struggle to better them as they are unique.

smily_headphones1.gif

I got mines for a 100 here in the UK, and they are in very good nick
smile.gif

Come one, if you sold your K340 what headphone would you buy to get as close to it's sound?

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #144 of 1,184
You got a good deal there
smily_headphones1.gif

While there are plenty of headphones I wish to pursue (D7000/5000, DX1000/700, some Ultrasones) personally I sense that there are no headphones out there that are comparable to K340s. If you read up on the technical aspects, you will discover that they are a hybrid headphone combining electrostatic and dynamic drivers for different frequencies. AFAIK.

But I am very curious to listen to them with some decent, dedicated amplification. This will cost a tidy sum I also sense
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #146 of 1,184
Quote:

I wonder what is the ultimate Headphone amp for the K340?

If you ever discover it, please let us know!

I would take Skylab's recommendations very seriously, as he appears to have listened to many different headphone systems.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #148 of 1,184
Quote:

I wonder what is the ultimate Headphone amp for the K340?

I've yet to hear an amp that beats mine with the K340's, but it is a custom one off job. I don't think you could go wrong with the 307A amp that Pete Millet designed for todd the vinyl junkie. It's $6000 USD though, so that's a bit of a stretch for most [myself included!]. If I were on the market for a new K340 amp right now, I'd probably give the balanced little dot amp a try given how cheap it is. I hear the fan in it is pretty loud though, so I'd probably replace it or recase the amp to allow for better airflow.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #149 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you ever discover it, please let us know!

I would take Skylab's recommendations very seriously, as he appears to have listened to many different headphone systems.

My recommendation is not to sell them, obviously, since I have bought three different times after selling them the first two times. I always end up hating being without them
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #150 of 1,184
I still need to get around to recabling and modding the cups for less resonances. I think they should sound pretty good after that. If not, I'll mod the resistance going into the step up transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back