AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
May 24, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #527 of 1,184
May 24, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #528 of 1,184
May 24, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #529 of 1,184
Oh! You're right! I fits better now too!
Great! Now, I would love to hear your thoughts after eq when you have the time. I think that veiled will vanish and you will hear a whole new perspective.

May 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #530 of 1,184
Great! Now, I would love to hear your thoughts after eq when you have the time. I think that veiled will vanish and you will hear a whole new perspective.
Well, gotta wait like 10 hours from now, cause I'm heading to work soon, and today is a busy day unlike yesterday, so I won't have a chance to sit at my desk and listen all day XD I'm curious though. How does everyone transport their K340s? I carried it in a Pelican case yesterday which housed my Sennheiser HD650 previously, and now my AKG K712

May 24, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #531 of 1,184
Well, gotta wait like 10 hours from now, cause I'm heading to work soon, and today is a busy day unlike yesterday, so I won't have a chance to sit at my desk and listen all day XD I'm curious though. How does everyone transport their K340s? I carried it in a Pelican case yesterday which housed my Sennheiser HD650 previously, and now my AKG K712
No hurry, I haven't had the need to transport. Enjoy your day.

May 24, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #533 of 1,184
May 25, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #534 of 1,184
Well... Heck yea! Just that the guy who got it for USD$35 was probably a lucky guy, if he got the bass heavy version! But I can't complain since the original asking price for my set was like USD$105, to drop 35 bucks off it was a steal!

Well... I have no idea how long it's been sitting in a ziplock bag, and the seller wasn't very talkative either. From what I understood, he was the original and first owner, and used it for mixing, but he looks to be younger than I am, and I'm not even halfway into my 30s, so if I wasn't born, how can you be born? Hah! But it didn't matter of course

Oh yes, it feels sturdy. My set looks to be in pretty good shape for a 40 year old set, just that the cable isn't as coiled as it is in pictures so I'm having thoughts of getting the cable changed, or to even just change the jack to a sturdier one, like Neutrik.

As to how they compare with my most premium headphones... I use the Beyer T1 and Empyrean to compare... These are my opinions based off my setup and my hearing though. The T1 is clean and detailed, almost clinical? The Empyrean is a little warmer, not as detailed but still plenty of details? But the K340.... Is like looking at a bride with her veil on. You can see the color of her skin and her make up, you can make out her features, but there's just that veil masking it a little. In comparison, the T1 and Empyrean are like... Watching the bride up close in 8k video, you can see all the imperfections in her skin, but you still enjoy looking at the scene. If that makes any sense hahah, I'm bad with descriptions, as I explained to my friend. When it comes to photography, I can tell you exactly what I see, but when it comes to audio, I listen and either enjoy or don't enjoy, or just plain don't pay attention.

But with the K340, I do enjoy listening to them and I make an active effort to hear them. I had thoughts of getting it modified but probably at a later time
You described what the K340 sounds like with thick pads, which is nice but takes off some of the "magic" of it and makes them a good headphone to just relax and fall asleep.
From my experience, the classical AKG pads, such as the K240's, or even third-party ones, without the cloth (it must be cut off if present), are the best combination. Keeping the drivers closer to the ears improves presence, resolution, soundstage and micro-dynamics.
This effect is present even with the original K340 pads, but usually they are very aged, hardened and unpleasant to use.
Thicker pads will improve the presence of the bass but not the extension, at the cost of the aforementioned characteristics, and will add some veil.
With shallower unclothed pleather pads, the bass will not thump as high, but will present itself with a timbre resolution, a texture, which is rarely seen in other headphones.
With velour AKG-compatible pads, it is still quite enjoyable, but the mids get somewhat too intrusive.

May 25, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #535 of 1,184
You described what the K340 sounds like with thick pads, which is nice but takes off some of the "magic" of it and makes them a good headphone to just relax and fall asleep.
From my experience, the classical AKG pads, such as the K240's, or even third-party ones, without the cloth (it must be cut off if present), are the best combination. Keeping the drivers closer to the ears improves presence, resolution, soundstage and micro-dynamics.
This effect is present even with the original K340 pads, but usually they are very aged, hardened and unpleasant to use.
Thicker pads will improve the presence of the bass but not the extension, at the cost of the aforementioned characteristics, and will add some veil.
With shallower unclothed pleather pads, the bass will not thump as high, but will present itself with a timbre resolution, a texture, which is rarely seen in other headphones.
With velour AKG-compatible pads, it is still quite enjoyable, but the mids get somewhat too intrusive.
Hmmm.... The veil to me, occurs with the original pads though hahaha, I still have it, just not really a fan of that small design, but I might try it again

May 25, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #536 of 1,184
I have the Bass light model with original pads and the bass is as you described. Textured with Resolution and Timbre. The best I've heard. SubBass can be EQ'd in if desired.
Ears touching the back of the pads is important for this to happen.

May 25, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #537 of 1,184
really got earcancer from the original ones and had luck with some chinese ones.
I also got them on my k240 sextett and love em. Still enough magic :wink:

May 25, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #538 of 1,184
I heard it with the EQ and yes, the slight veil has been lifted, the top and bottom feels just a little punchier, to me at least hahaha

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #539 of 1,184
Yesterday I put on what are literally just a $7 set of pads from AliExpress...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801104525378.html

...the 110mm version. What happened to the sound of my K340 can only be described as transformative.

20221004_190551.jpg

I'm surprised how many people here are still using the aging stock pads. If you own this headphone you OWE it to yourself to play around with some pad rolling.

This is literally the ONLY thing I changed about this headphone. I haven't done any of the internal mods. And just with different pads, not even expensive ones, they seal better, are more comfortable, and the bass on these "bass-light" K340s hits harder, goes deeper, and the soundstage widens due to the depth of the pads. The thin cloth on the back of the pads actually helps control the treble, which can be pretty fatiguing otherwise (particularly the upper treble).

Everything is evened out, and I don't get the midrange shoutiness I used to. Their performance overall has just been greatly elevated, and as hard as it is for me to admit, there's some music I'm hearing on these right now that sounds shoulder-to-shoulder with the two other kilobuck headphones I have sitting on the desk here.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #540 of 1,184
Yesterday I put on what are literally just a $7 set of pads from AliExpress...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801104525378.html

...the 110mm version. What happened to the sound of my K340 can only be described as transformative.

20221004_190551.jpg

I'm surprised how many people here are still using the aging stock pads. If you own this headphone you OWE it to yourself to play around with some pad rolling.

This is literally the ONLY thing I changed about this headphone. I haven't done any of the internal mods. And just with different pads, not even expensive ones, they seal better, are more comfortable, and the bass on these "bass-light" K340s hits harder, goes deeper, and the soundstage widens due to the depth of the pads. The thin cloth on the back of the pads actually helps control the treble, which can be pretty fatiguing otherwise (particularly the upper treble).

Everything is evened out, and I don't get the midrange shoutiness I used to. Their performance overall has just been greatly elevated, and as hard as it is for me to admit, there's some music I'm hearing on these right now that sounds shoulder-to-shoulder with the two other kilobuck headphones I have sitting on the desk here.

Honestly, I have no idea the preference with some people too. I swapped the original pleather for sheepskin I bought from Aliexpress on various headphones and I don't pay enough attention to hear the minute differences, and for some such as my Sony MDR-V6 and of course as this thread is, the AKG K340. I feel they're so much more comfortable! Granted the AKG K340 I bought the Brainwavz, but my AT M50-x, Sony MDR-V6, UE 9000, Sony MDR-7Z are the ones off the top of my head that I remember that are using earpads from Aliexpress that costs less than 10 USD probably. They're definitely not expensive. They sound good, they fit good, seal good and don't feel like my ears are gonna overheat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back