AKG K340 Bass-Light Version modded by kt88 vs Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 2005/250 Ω : A mini review
Nov 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ISALULA

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

First, i apologize for my poor English language, thanks for your indulgence.

Resistance is futile… Yes, i know… and for my wallet too ! Indeed, i can’t resist the urge to try different Headphones, again, and again, like many Head-Fi'ers…  

I wished to try another Beyerdynamic after have tried the DT 770 Pro 80 Ω, a few months ago. So, i bought an older DT 880/250 Ω Edition 2005. No other way, because meetings are extremely rare in my region and shops are rare or too far away. I was a fanboy of the K340 Bass-Light Version, they were been at the top for over two years.

081123060435.jpg

081123061403.jpg

I had never imagined that the DT 880 could have… But i speak, i speak… 
popcorn.gif
 Okay, let’s go now. So, it’s my first feedback on Head-Fi.

[size=11pt]About my setup : Source > Thule CD150B Digit II Headphone Amplifier > RudiStor RP-33 Special Edition Interconnect > Apertura Reference

Wich one has better soundstage ? It’s deepest and wider on the K340. However, the K340 are a closed Headphones unlike the DT 880 (semi-open) Once again, i realize the K340 are really an amazing Headphones and the great work making by kt88. The sound isolation is better on the K340.

The DT 880 are homogeneous, transparent, detailed without a hyper analytical restitution and they are never "boring" for my taste. They have a solid bass register, tightly controlled, not boomy. They have a sober mids, a clear high register. I like particularly the sound of stringed instruments and the piano. They are refined on the Beyerdynamic. And about the voices ? Timbre, nuances… To my taste, the DT 880 are now the best. For the first time, i realize i prefer the vocals on the Beyerdynamic. They are more truthful on the DT 880.

The DT 880 ? Of course, they are not a kind of perfect Headphones. But they are among the best dynamic Headphones tried or owned. Comfortable, very solid, they have a really excellent sonority : Coherent but never monotonous. In my humble opinion, they have a best synergy with a "warm" Headphone amplifier, but if the CD’s are harsh highs… No miracle, the DT 880 will be high harsh. Indeed, they could become sibilant, aggressive… For me, the DT 880 are an accurate Headphones, no more no less. Therefore, they will no mercy with the mediocre recordings.

The K340 ? They are a kind of “great seducer”, rich, colored, a little less energetic. However, don’t forget than the K340 are extremely hard to drive correctly (high impedance & low sensibility) No doubt about it, they are a "charmer" with warmth mids absolutely delicious and softly highs. A subtle blend between sweetness and transparence, a surprising alchemy to my ears… The bass are solid, not boomy, but a bit compact, a little less textured. However, a bad synergy with my source/amp cannot be ruled out.

Obviously, they are most conciliatory than the DT 880, rarely harsh or sibilant (with my source/amplifier combination)

The DT 880 are aesthetically pleasing, less impressive but more sleek than the K340. With regard to this criteria, i am unjust because they have been manufactured thirty years ago.

They are both comfortable, an essential criteria. kt88’s ear pads are very good but the DT 880 velour ear pads are more comfy. The Beyerdynamic headband has the stronger clamping force but it is not awkward.

In conclusion ? Intimacy and truthfulness on the DT 880, charming and spaciousness on the K340. Both are great Headphones, undeniably. No dilemma, i like them both.[/size]

[size=11pt]Concretely : Listening Kenji Kawai’s “avalon” or Supertramp’s “even in the quietest moments…” ? The K340 are an excellent choice. Listening Tom McRae’s “tom Mcrae” or Anaïs Mitchell’s “hymns for the exiled” ? The DT 880 are a gorgeous Headphones for my taste.[/size]

[size=11pt]I am really incurable. I warned you, no ? Santa Claus will be coming early, the DT 880/600 [size=11pt]Ω[/size][size=11pt] Edition 2005 are already on the way ![/size] [/size]

Regards
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 10
Fine review! Thanks. As an owner of a pair of unmodded K340s, I might just take the plunge and get them modded. Right now I'm breaking in a pair of AKG 701's. Very different cans.

Thanks again for your review.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the review. Between the DT880/2005 and the K340 (mine were the bass light version and had only the screen mod), I preferred the AKGs. Between the DT880/2005 and the DT880/2003, I preferred the DT880/2003. : )

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fine review! Thanks. As an owner of a pair of unmodded K340s, I might just take the plunge and get them modded. Right now I'm breaking in a pair of AKG 701's. Very different cans.

Thanks again for your review.

Thanks, very nice
smile.gif

The unmodded K340's are a very good Cans, it was love at first audition two years ago. But a few months ago I bought two pairs of expertly modded version, wow... Soundstage, comfort and sound
eek.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. Between the DT880/2005 and the K340 (mine were the bass light version and had only the screen mod), I preferred the AKGs. Between the DT880/2005 and the DT880/2003, I preferred the DT880/2003. : )

Thanks, very nice
smile.gif

I read several reviews about the DT 880 '03
ph34r.gif
Yes, I would like very much trying them
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

And the K340’s ? They are a “great seducer”, detailed, coloured, a little less energetic. However, don’t forget than the K340's are extremely hard to drive correctly (high impedance & low sensibility)

I thought this hobby as a whole has low sensibility. Always get beaten up by the other half for the ridiculous spending..
smily_headphones1.gif

To the OP - we all undertand what you meant - just messing and kidding..... have a nice day!

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Great review. Your knowledge of the English language exceeds that of the average American. Most people, sadly, do not have a vocabulary larger than what is needed to understand "American Idol". Most people have no idea what "conciliatory" means.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Thank you for this very nice review Isalula
wink_face.gif

From your comments, I believe I would indeed like a lot the K340
very_evil_smiley.gif
They should be definitely on my shopping list, especially if i can run them balanced.

I used to have DT880/2005 for about a year, but I think my amp was not doing them justice (Creek OBH21SE). I always found the sound too agressive and forward for me (pushing into my ears), though extremely balanced and detailed, uncolored, with a rather good soundstage. So I agree with all your comments,

Regards,

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcrib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. Your knowledge of the English language exceeds that of the average American. Most people have no idea what "conciliatory" means.

I was thinking the same thing. Nice review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back