AKG K317 $24.99
Mar 21, 2011 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rds

Headphoneus Supremus
$24.99 at amazon with free shipping if you add another few cents to your cart: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-317--Ear-Bud-Headphone/dp/B0028N786G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300734929&sr=1-1

Really great price considering the retail is $89.99.  Hope some people can get in on this while it's still available.

Btw, I own the k319 and they're really great sounding ear buds with a k701-like flatness and great detail.  However, I'd only use them with the provided foams on top.  Without those I find the sound too treble heavy.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 9
how exactly does the lanyard-fit type thing work? Is there a photo of someone wearing these anywhere?

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 9
An example lanyard :
http://www.advancedheadphones.co.uk/shop/images/MXL570_Large.jpg

Main loop worn like a necklace (plastic blob at top is a catch to open it).
The two leads to earphones go from either side of neck up into ears.
Bottom loop can hold portable player (I loop it round Clip+ clip) and those few inches of lead to jack plug clip into it there.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, I was interested so I bit & they just arrived a little while ago. Build quality & included accessories is excellent, given the $25 price tag. The lanyard fit is a little weird, but not too bad. Out of box, they sound pretty good, although I'm going to have to do more in depth comparisons between these & my Senn MX580 which was around the same price. Stay tuned...

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I have read in a couple of reviews that these are really large.  Although pictures are deceiving, do you think they are larger than your 580?

I too was worried about the size of these things since only smaller, non iem earbuds seem to fit my freakishly small ears. I had to return the MX 880s because they were simply too big & kept falling out. 

The AKG's are definitely larger than the 580's, but oddly enough, they (AKGs) actually fit better & feel more comfortable. The way that center ridge is caved in actually contours to the upper bony part of the earlobe (sorry, ear anatomy isnt my thing,) creating a surprisingly comfy, snug fit. They don't feel like they're going to fall out at all. 

SQ-wise, still analyzing... Early impressions, definitely warmer than the MX 580 & 880s w/ less sparkle on the top end. Still, they seem pretty detailed w/ good bass impact & quality (better than my PK3s.) The mid-range stands out to me most in terms of sound quality. Almost feels like a less refined SE530. Nowhere near the same quality, but feeling like the same general signature.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 9
I bought these recently, overall quality seemed good, nice accessories, the lanyard length seemed good. However, at least in my ears, the sound was awful. It was all highs, barely any mid and no bass. I found that if I really pushed the bud into my ear to point down the canal then some good sound was actually there, but I wasn't getting any of it with them just resting in place. I guess this is a result of the unusual size of the buds. For size reference I tend to pick the smallest silicone tip on offer, eg with my JVC FA-67 and girlfriend's Sennheiser CX-400.

I returned them, sadly, and am looking for lanyard-style canalphones, though pickings are very slim.

I should add, I obviously didn't give these phones a chance to burn in. Like I said, I think my issue was with the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back