AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Sep 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,322 of 4,058

The housings are small enough to disappear in my ear, with over the ear fit, giving me a pleasing aesthetic, unlike the much larger TG334 or 1+2. (When do the beautiful ladies arrive?)  Also, the k3k has to be the best low volume iem on the market, it’s simply fantastic at low volumes.

Ladies do not like to see guys wearing their expensive & stylish-looking phones with the cables over the ears — they'll think you're either weird, a geek, stupid or too juvenile (read: desperately trying to be different). A cable-down fit is the only way to impress all the ladies. Save the cable over the ear fit for Head-fi meets only, though people there will still look down on you for having spent so much on The King of Incoherence, Master of treble peaks & grainy treble and Guru of bloated slooooow bass.

Bottom line: For the ladies only a cable-down fit will do; for serious Head-fi meets take a pair of RE-400, GR07, ER4, UERM or JH13 FP.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,324 of 4,058
^   Wait a little longer and you'll get them for $99—guaranteed price during the Black Friday sales for a brand new pair! I'd get 3 pairs just for the packaging and hand-made leather case.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,326 of 4,058
  Also, the k3k has to be the best low volume iem on the market, it’s simply fantastic at low volumes.

I've not come across an IEM yet that performs as well as the K3003 does at (very) low volumes. (Credit must go to Mr Uncool, aka james444, for being the first to notice this excellent and rather unique feature of the AKGs—excellent, at least, for those who appreciate listening to music at [very] low volume levels — sometimes late at night...)

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,327 of 4,058
Once again listening to my beloved HD800s—the summer heat, and what has appeared to be some kind of Indian summer this year in my neck of the woods, has prevented me from enjoying my favourite phone for a few months—though only for a few minutes this time because the heat is still quite present and I, as a good old fart, refuse to use air con. The ER4S is a stellar phone, but the Parterres and, specially, the K3003s get so much closer to the wonderful sonics of the Senns...

And to think that some people think the HD800s are bass-light! Oh dear, oh dear...

...but the Ety crowd will probably call them bass-head phones!! Oh dear, oh dear, OH DEAR!...

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,328 of 4,058
I have had my eye on the K3003 for awhile now, and I think I am just about ready to purchase.
(a little birdie told me that they were good, but the shotgun has forced me to take my wallet out!) 

One question though: I have ear canals similar to how I have seen james444 describe his (that is to say...big!).
I am a little concerned that I won't be able to get a good seal. Are the included large tips reasonably large?  Thanks!

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,329 of 4,058
Once again listening to my beloved HD800s—the summer heat, and what has appeared to be some kind of Indian summer this year in my neck of the woods, has prevented me from enjoying my favourite phone for a few months—though only for a few minutes this time because the heat is still quite present and I, as a good old fart, refuse to use air con. The ER4S is a stellar phone, but the Parterres and, specially, the K3003s get so much closer to the wonderful sonics of the Senns...

And to think that some people think the HD800s are bass-light! Oh dear, oh dear...

...but the Ety crowd will probably call them bass-head phones!! Oh dear, oh dear, OH DEAR!...

Sorry if I've missed it, but what filters do you use for the K3003? Also I didn't find the HD800 to be too bass heavy for my tastes. But the 5k peak was a little much on flat sources. Sibilance was an issue for me, more than average imo. A lot of people were trying to tame that peak with tube amps.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,330 of 4,058
Most people use (and agree upon) the reference filter. It's supposed to be the most balanced. I've never tried the bass nor the treble filter myself since I was immediately content with the reference. I've got no issues with sibilance with the K3K fwiw.

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #1,331 of 4,058
Sep 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,333 of 4,058
I was just telling this to a friend:
If you were asking me a year ago what the most important aspects are of a top performing iem were, I'd have said resolution, imaging and articulation. Over the last twelve months I've come to realize that above ALL, tonality means more to me and is by far the number one criteria. Tonality, instrument realism, vocal engagement are what keep you interested and coming back for more. And in these categories, the k3k is simply the best in my book. I couldn't be happier I bought it.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,334 of 4,058
Tried it today. For me, fit is as good as with stock. Very similar tips. I very slightly prefer stock tips.

Thanks for this, much appreciated. Judging by photos the e-q5 eartips seem just slightly more oval/olive shaped compared to the k3003 eartips.

I might track them down and buy them. I'm hoping that they're slighty smaller and can be inserted deeper into my eyes for a better seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back