AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Mar 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #2,701 of 4,058
  Regarding your mod, doesn't the swab alter the mids as well?

To some extent, yes. Attenuation starts in the upper mids and continues throughout the treble range. Top end extension is less affected than by the FAD tips though.

All things considered, it's not exactly the same effect, but close enough in overall tonality (slightly more polite highs and warmer / fuller mids), if that is what's desired.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #2,702 of 4,058
maybe i have weird ears , but i find the stock tips better both as fit and sound to the FA tips (type A/C)

i will do some more testing with all tips , but so far the stock tips sound just great and i have no complaints whatsoever

and K3 remains a great iem , anyway.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #2,704 of 4,058
Hi, a question for you owners of k3003s and high-end full-sized cans. I have the k3003s (used with small FAD tips for best seal with my ears - thank you Nomax) running from a Calyx M and absolutely love them.  I was about to pull the trigger on some Hifiman HE-500s for my home rig, which for these purposes is just a Project turntable run through a (for now) cr@ppy pre-amp with a headphone out.  I'm going to upgrade the pre-amp to a better headphone amp/pre amp like a Lehmann Audio Rhinelander or audio-gd c2 anyway and then hook up the HE-500s to that.  But it just struck me that the HE-500s might be a disappointment when compared to the k3003s, I remember someone on this thread saying they have both and barely use the HE-500s.  So far I've only used the k3003s for portable listening, but am not wedded to full-sized cans for home listening (though currently have some Sennheiser Momentums and a pair of Sony MDR-1s that I use at home, but looking to updgrade as I find them lacking in punch - probably to do with the bad pre-amp). 

Anyway, any views on whether I need the Hifimans for home use, or would be better off simply upgrading the pre-amp/headphone amp and use the k3000s with that? 

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm relatively new to this ridiculous hobby.. Saving myself some cash by not spending unnecessarily on the full-sized cans sounds like it might be a good idea though...  

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2,705 of 4,058
did any K3 owner also had the fitear parterre ? any impressions/comparisons with the K3 ?

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2,706 of 4,058
Having spent a full two weeks with the K3003 I am amazed how good this iem is.   I have owned some high end full size headphones but the best iem prior to this was the Shure 535 and I wasn't impressed.   Is there a legitimate step up from the K3003?  Can anyone with a v6 Stage and the k3003 give me their impression?  Thx.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #2,707 of 4,058
did any K3 owner also had the fitear parterre ? any impressions/comparisons with the K3 ?

I have the Parterre and my K3003 should arrive this week. I will post some comments regarding my comparison between the two.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #2,708 of 4,058
Well, after 6 weeks of anguish, my replacement K3003's should be here tomorrow.  I can't wait to be back in the game!
I will be relieved once I actually have them in hand, though.  For some reason, they have my shipping address with the right zip code but the wrong city name.  But UPS already notified me about the shipment so I think I am good.

I have to say that, in the end, AKG really stepped up to help with my issue once I got in touch with the right people.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #2,709 of 4,058
Having spent a full two weeks with the K3003 I am amazed how good this iem is.   I have owned some high end full size headphones but the best iem prior to this was the Shure 535 and I wasn't impressed.   Is there a legitimate step up from the K3003?  Can anyone with a v6 Stage and the k3003 give me their impression?  Thx.

you've had it for just two weeks and you're already looking to "the next level". you've got it bad man. :wink:

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #2,710 of 4,058

you've had it for just two weeks and you're already looking to "the next level". you've got it bad man.
wink.gif

Haha.   No not ready to buy.   Just curious what may be better.  I am just surprised how good the k3003 really is. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #2,712 of 4,058
Reading through the thread
better for you or the dude that's answering your question?
wink.gif

Reading through the thread most agree that as far as universals go the K3003 is at top of the food chain.  I am curious how the 1964 V6 universal model stacks up.   

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #2,713 of 4,058
it's so subjective tho. what i have to try and accept is that most folks here can never be satisfied with what they have.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #2,714 of 4,058
it's so subjective tho. what i have to try and accept is that most folks here can never be satisfied with what they have.

I am extremely satisfied and was shocked how good they sound.  I just didn't have much experience with iems and was inquiring if there is really anything better in universals.  Yes , I totally get that its personal opinions and very subjective.  

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2,715 of 4,058

I am extremely satisfied and was shocked how good they sound.  I just didn't have much experience with iems and was inquiring if there is really anything better in universals.  Yes , I totally get that its personal opinions and very subjective.  

JH Angie - 1300$
Noble K10u - 1600$
JH Layla - 2500$

supposedly these are 'better' iems but how much better is a mystery - whether the sonic improvement you get justifies going from 700$ to the prices they ask, is another thing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back