AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #2,071 of 4,058
  I listen to everything from cabaret, classical, to death metal/deathcore.. I am looking for something with enough treble [ie8 has enough with 16-20khz +8DB][ultrasone dj one pro has enough], enough bass [more sub bass, less 100hz bass]. I listen everywhere, from a silent home to outside, with volumes from medium inside my home to loud outside. I like recessed mids.. 
Money is not a problem, as long as it sounds good. 
The main fear of me, about both is that they will not have enough treble.the high extension is much more important than the rest, for me, because i demoed a lot of iems, and all falled short in soundstage and had not enough treble..
like, even if i pump up ie8 with +8db at 16khz, the cymbals still feel better on my ultrasone dj one pro, they are louder, more realistic...

i am also going to buy the best source alavaible, mostly chord hugo, because i need it porable. 

looks like you need an iem with a V-sound, K3003 doesn't seem to be the one you need....

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,072 of 4,058
dunno how much of the thread you've read skerry but i haven't seen any complaints about the k3003's lack of detailed and extended highs. plus it comes with a treble boost filter. the k3003's mids aren't recessed. can't help thinking that it won't satisfy your need for sub-bass. it has a balanced presentation. like proedros says, you might be happier with a more "fun" sound - something with a v shaped fr.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,073 of 4,058
The K812 is a very very good sounding headphone but the K3003 is more UNIQUE in BUILD Quality and i prefer the K3003 sound more than from IE 800
And this Product from AKG will be for a longtime TIMELESS

Sorry for my Bad English

REAGARDS NOMAX

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,074 of 4,058
hm... i am ok with how it is described, afterall, the only reason i ever wanted recesed mids was because there was a lot of clipping with my cheaper headphones... sennheiser hd380pro, for example has some clipping at loud volumes in mids... in fact, i think that i would love something that does not have clipping, and has good mids!
biggrin.gif

My actual headphones are... i don't know anymore... i don't think that they are flat.. if anyone has ever heared live cymbals, they pierce your ears, they hurt.. my headphones do not reproduce that, but the cymbals sound pretty loud, and 3D.. also the bass is... a lot in the under 80hz region, and recessed in the 100-220 hz region... this makes them sub-bass happy and bright... something like this... 

i am looking for something that sounds... good... i cannot know what i like, but, if something is very very good, it can be tweaked by a good eq..
probably, i should just go, listen to ie800, buy k3003, if i like k3003 better, keep, if i like ie800 better, return k3003, then buy ie800. 
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT:: the reason i am worryed about highs not being enough is because of the graph response on golden ears... ie800 seems superior judging only from the graphs on golden ears... i thought that site was pretty much good..

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,075 of 4,058
  I listen to everything from cabaret, classical, to death metal/deathcore.. I am looking for something with enough treble [ie8 has enough with 16-20khz +8DB][ultrasone dj one pro has enough], enough bass [more sub bass, less 100hz bass]. I listen everywhere, from a silent home to outside, with volumes from medium inside my home to loud outside. I like recessed mids.. 
Money is not a problem, as long as it sounds good. 
The main fear of me, about both is that they will not have enough treble.the high extension is much more important than the rest, for me, because i demoed a lot of iems, and all falled short in soundstage and had not enough treble..
like, even if i pump up ie8 with +8db at 16khz, the cymbals still feel better on my ultrasone dj one pro, they are louder, more realistic...

Sounds more like the IE800 than K3003 in my book. And if you want something similar to the K3003, I'd even recommend the 1plus2 over them in your case.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #2,076 of 4,058
  My favorite tip was the Meelec biflange so you're not too far off. Just experiment til you find what works best for you 

Hello Idsynchrono. I wonder if you could clarify which Meelec Tip you are referring to. I need to order them so I want ti be sure I order the correct ones. Are these the bi-flange tips you mention? These are the Tips for there Meelec M6. 

Thank you.

Meelec Electronics BiFlange Tips

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2,077 of 4,058
Yep, those are it. I used the black pair though, I just liked how the black matched the phone's aesthetics 

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts1-df-35-bk.htm

I'd probably go with one of the combo sets just so you have a couple more tips to play with, or ordering multiples in case you lose a pair, since it's just a few dollars more. And what worked for me, may not necessarily work for you, but here's to hoping: 

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts3-df-35-bk.htm

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts6-cmb-35-bk.htm

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,078 of 4,058
dunno how much of the thread you've read skerry but i haven't seen any complaints about the k3003's lack of detailed and extended highs. plus it comes with a treble boost filter. the k3003's mids aren't recessed. can't help thinking that it won't satisfy your need for sub-bass. it has a balanced presentation. like proedros says, you might be happier with a more "fun" sound - something with a v shaped fr.

Yes, may I suggest the JVC FX850 (or perhaps even the JVC FX1100)? I wouldn't call the FX850 "fun" in any derogatory sense of the word as it is a phone with true TOTL sound (I personally don't limit TOTL sound to neutral or even close to neutral) in its own way, especially with james444's FX850 mod.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2,079 of 4,058
EDIT:: the reason i am worryed about highs not being enough is because of the graph response on golden ears... ie800 seems superior judging only from the graphs on golden ears... i thought that site was pretty much good..

took a look at those graphs. unless i'm reading it wrong, the k3003 has more treble energy than the ie800 and is closer to the golden ears target in that area. it also has more midrange presence. ie800 has moar bass tho. innerfidelity's measurements are similar. but the headroom comparative graph shows the ie800 having more treble energy, similar mids and bass - go figure. fr graphs vary. like I said, the only way you'll know if the k3003 is for you or not is to try it.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #2,080 of 4,058
how big an 'improvement' should i expect , coming from the RE-272 and RE-600 ?

I will be using them on a DX90

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #2,082 of 4,058

Cool, thank you. Do you connect the iPhone 6 directly to the DAC of the TEAC? How is that done, with a USB/Lightning cable?

Does the TEAC improve the SQ of the K3003 when driven by the iPhone 6 vs just using the iPhone6? ... the K3003i appears to be easy to drive so I wonder about the need to use an external amp/dac. Any feedback on SQ will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

From my experience, the AKG 3003i out of an iPhone 6 sounds very nice. Adding the TEAC ha-p50 bypasses the internal dac of the iPhone using a standard usb to lightning cable. The added dac and amp of the Teac with iPhone and AKG 3003i renders the sound more 3D, adds depth and improved instrument separation and overall SQ improvement. In short, this combination sounds more organic and liquid. Hope this helps. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,083 of 4,058
  Yep, those are it. I used the black pair though, I just liked how the black matched the phone's aesthetics 

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts1-df-35-bk.htm

I'd probably go with one of the combo sets just so you have a couple more tips to play with, or ordering multiples in case you lose a pair, since it's just a few dollars more. And what worked for me, may not necessarily work for you, but here's to hoping: 

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts3-df-35-bk.htm

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts6-cmb-35-bk.htm

Perfect, I just ordered them, the variety pack as well. Thank you.

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2,084 of 4,058

From my experience, the AKG 3003i out of an iPhone 6 sounds very nice. Adding the TEAC ha-p50 bypasses the internal dac of the iPhone using a standard usb to lightning cable. The added dac and amp of the Teac with iPhone and AKG 3003i renders the sound more 3D, adds depth and improved instrument separation and overall SQ improvement. In short, this combination sounds more organic and liquid. Hope this helps. 

Wonderful, thank you very much for the feedback. I think I will give it a try and see.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #2,085 of 4,058
thanks everyone for help so far! 

The thing was that i don't actualy want the SQ i already have, too much bass and too much treble are not that great either. but i want the bass and treble to be there. I remember akg 272 not having enough bass if fed from cowon j3.. this made me return them at that time.

i will follow around, and if i fiind any interesting info i will come to ask again. thanks again, for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back