AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,021 of 4,058
Quote:
James, thanks for the comparisons! I was wondering if you would agree or disagree with the following:

Based on my k3003 review and memory, I remember the k3003 having more upper mid presence than the 1+2, so vocals on the k3003 were slightly more forward and sweeter sounding. But the 1+2 midrange, while more distant, seems more linear to me providing more transparency and detailing.

I also remember the k3003 treble being brassier and weightier than the 1+2 but this could be due to the triple flange tips I used. So the 1+2 seems even a little airier and grander in soundstage.

I agree on the bass differences you mentioned. I also think the faster and harder edged 1+2 bass probably gives some a better feeling of coherence, since coherence in these instances is being used to describe the sound of the different driver types, rather than a suckout or timing issue that some multi-ba's have. Regardless it didn't bother me in the least on either the k3003 or 1+2, although I've been accused of trying to minimize others opinions on this (oh the incredulity and outrage!).

Mids: that 's a hard question... I tried to EQ the 1plus2's mids to match the K3003 and it took only 2-3db for female vocals to achieve equal presence (I don't use tone generators). Going by Rin's K3003 graph that shows the AKG's upper mids slightly below target response, I wouldn't conclude that the 1plus2 are more transparent. But honestly, the difference being very small and taking spatiality into account, any interpretation of one sounding slightly more transparent than the other is fine with me.

As for detail, I actually thought the K3003's TWFKs were ever so slightly more resolving and refined, but again the difference was very minor and most noticeable only during cymbal decay in track #2. I heard no noteworthy difference in treble noteweight though.

The difference in bass also turned out smaller than expected, as I found the 1plus2's harder edge was only partly due to faster transients and partly due to more deep bass punch. If the K3003 were really significantly slower, it would have shown with track #7.

Btw, if you want to compare them side by side for yourself, I can get my K3003s to you sometime. Though, on second thought, it's entirely possible that you may not be able to hear them at their best with the triflanges.

Quote:
smaller is good for me so the k3003 sounds promising. I'll know soon enough.

Like shotgunshane said, it depends on your ear anatomy. I'd think that smaller outer ears are more problematic with the 1plus2, and smaller canals more problematic with the K3003.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,022 of 4,058
Quote:

... and smaller canals more problematic with the K3003.

If someone lives in Amsterdam, would they have any fit issues with the K3003s?

(as someone I know would say, "just couldn't resist!")

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #1,023 of 4,058
Btw, if you want to compare them side by side for yourself, I can get my K3003s to you sometime. Though, on second thought, it's entirely possible that you may not be able to hear them at their best with the triflanges.

Like shotgunshane said, it depends on your ear anatomy. I'd think that smaller outer ears are more problematic with the 1plus2, and smaller canals more problematic with the K3003.

That might be fun sometime in the future.

Regarding fit: I apparently have large, straight canals and the k3003 nozzle wasn't long enough for me. So with its stock tips I got some treble harshness from it sitting to shallow. Pressing it in with my hands alleviated the issue, so of course that easily showed me I needed deeper fitting tips and trips worked perfectly.

I think perhaps the trips took away a slight bit of airiness and added a bit of treble weight apparently. I was reading recently that shorter tips with a wide opening increase brightness and longer tips will remove harshness or resonance. Small changes but could account for the differences I remember hearing. I also remember loving the brassiness of the k3003 treble and thought it very realistic sounding.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,026 of 4,058
Mids: that 's a hard question... I tried to EQ the 1plus2's mids to match the K3003 and it took only 2-3db for female vocals to achieve equal presence (I don't use tone generators). Going by Rin's K3003 graph that shows the AKG's upper mids slightly below target response, I wouldn't conclude that the 1plus2 are more transparent. But honestly, the difference being very small and taking spatiality into account, any interpretation of one sounding slightly more transparent than the other is fine with me.

As for detail, I actually thought the K3003's TWFKs were ever so slightly more resolving and refined, but again the difference was very minor and most noticeable only during cymbal decay in track #2. I heard no noteworthy difference in treble noteweight though.

The difference in bass also turned out smaller than expected, as I found the 1plus2's harder edge was only partly due to faster transients and partly due to more deep bass punch. If the K3003 were really significantly slower, it would have shown with track #7.

hmm okay. thanks James.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #1,027 of 4,058
Can someone help me with this matter. My 3003 when plugged via 3.5mm. To 6.35mm adapter to my desktop amp sounds terrible/thin, bright. I have to pull the akg plug out slightly to get decent sound. I have tried 2 different adapters with same results.

If I plug the 3003 into the supplied piggy tail cable and then to the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter, all is well.

Seems strange! Any one else using the akg with a desktop amp?

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,030 of 4,058
Quote:
Can someone help me with this matter. My 3003 when plugged via 3.5mm. To 6.35mm adapter to my desktop amp sounds terrible/thin, bright. I have to pull the akg plug out slightly to get decent sound. I have tried 2 different adapters with same results.

If I plug the 3003 into the supplied piggy tail cable and then to the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter, all is well.

Seems strange! Any one else using the akg with a desktop amp?

Your 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter is designed for 3-pole stereo plugs like this:

However, the standard plug on the K3003i has 4 poles for use with iDevices:

If you use a 4-pole plug with a 3-pole socket, there's a chance that poles will short-circuit, depending on insertion depth. That's what you're experiencing. The included piggy tail cable contains a proper 4-pole to 3-pole adapter which eliminates the problem.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #1,032 of 4,058
Quote:
Anybody know where to get the non i version of K3003 that ships internationally? or at least one that ships to us freight forwarder?

I got my pair directly from AKG Austria, who told me they can also ship the non-remote/mic version to other parts of Europe or the US/Canada, Australia, etc. but you first need to contact an AKG distributor/dealer who will then be able to source a pair from AKG Austria. This is something to consider, particularly for warranty purposes.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #1,033 of 4,058
Quote:

I got my pair directly from AKG Austria, who told me they can also ship the non-remote/mic version to other parts of Europe or the US/Canada, Australia, etc. but you first need to contact an AKG distributor/dealer who will then be able to source a pair from AKG Austria. This is something to consider, particularly for warranty purposes.

Thanks music. May I know how much you get it for? I should contact A2A if they are able to source a pair

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,034 of 4,058
Your 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter is designed for 3-pole stereo plugs like this:

However, the standard plug on the K3003i has 4 poles for use with iDevices:

If you use a 4-pole plug with a 3-pole socket, there's a chance that poles will short-circuit, depending on insertion depth. That's what you're experiencing. The included piggy tail cable contains a proper 4-pole to 3-pole adapter which eliminates the problem.

Thanks for the info. Where can I get a 4 pole to 3 pole adapter. I assume they are not a common item. Akg should have included one in such an expensive headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back