AKG K271S Cable Replacements?
May 22, 2005 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a bit of extra cash laying around and was thinking about getting an AKG K271s cable replacement.

I was looking at the AKG K271s upgrade cable from Zu Cables and they look really sweet.. but expensive nonetheless! They cost almost as much as the actual headphones did!
eek.gif

Will the cost justify the improvement? Will they be totally new headphones as the price may suggest, or are they only adding slightly? I want real, unbiased answers to this question - I don't mean "slightly" better midrange clarity as being "a whole new headphone". Will bass be improved by any means? Will soundstage be enhanced? Will the detail be enhanced? Will highs be more realistic?

I mean, I might as well get new headphones if the cables aren't worth it, am I right?

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Andrew

May 22, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 15
You might want to contact philodox about this, since I think he's one of the few members here with Zu Mobius for K271S. I do know that they're fairly stiff. At least you can get it in shorter length than 3.0m (I dislike the length of the stock cable).

May 22, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
You might want to contact philodox about this, since I think he's one of the few members here with Zu Mobius for K271S. I do know that they're fairly stiff. At least you can get it in shorter length than 3.0m (I dislike the length of the stock cable).

Yeah, I know what you mean about that -- I am very annoyed by the fact that the cable is TOO long.

May 23, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 15
I've liked all of the things I have from headphile, and noticed a big difference between the stock and new cable with my DT770's. With the other cables its more subtle, but is there. I'm not sure how good the stock k271 cable is, but I doubt that you'd be displeased with the headphile cables.

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 15
dredging a dated post...

Did you end up finding a difference between stock and Zu cable?

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramstryke
dredging a dated post...

Did you end up finding a difference between stock and Zu cable?

Well Salt Peanuts had the Headphile cable, not the Zu one.

I never ended up buying the cable, and put the money towards something more important. I think that the cable is in my future, but just not now
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 15
Ahh thanks.

Ok, for those that have... is there a discernible difference worth the $$ of the cable? Inquiring minds want to know..

Sorry, I'm a ultra newb and am wondering can a cable make that much of a difference?

Like the man said.. it costs as much as the headphone.. !
eek.gif
!

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 15
Here is a link to a thread with a few impressions of the Zu Cable Mobius AKG, although it is relatively old.

I got mine for less than half of the price that they now charge because it was the first one made, I gave them the idea and did the beta testing. I was quite impressed with the improvement that it made and still am. However, I am not sure that it is worth the cost they are now charging. I would recommend emailing them and telling them the length you need and see if they can cut you a deal.

The performance increase with the Zu Mobius basically amounts to slightly more bass and an overall refinement of sound. If you have heard the difference this cable makes on the Sennheiser line, it is just as dramatic.

I have since had my Zu Mobius resleaved and reterminated as it was a little too long and the stiffness and microphonics of the techflex can get irritating. It is now sleeved in a 'audio technica like' covering and has a switchcraft termination. After having this done I noticed no difference in sound whatsoever, but the ergonomic issues are basically gone. If you are having a new one made, you might want to check if they have any alternative sleeving that they can use instead of the techflex.

I'm dont know too much about their cable geometry [b3], but the zu mobius is basically silver coated stranded copper... so I'm sure that if you had a cable builder make you a cable with that material and with good terminations, it would sound basically the same in short runs. I highly recommend headphile as I have been very pleased with the work that Larry did on my K340 recable.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Would you say that you recommend Headphile OVER Zu? Thanks!!

I've never had them side by side for a comparison... I have Zu on my K271S and Headphile on my K340. Also, it is important to note that Headphile has many different cables. I think that with BlackSilver you could expect a different sound than with the Zu Mobius, but perhaps his BlackMax/BlackCoral/BlackGold would be a little closer... I will say that I am very impressed with Larry's work.
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Hey philodox, how hard is it to resleave the zu cable.

After ditching the akg for the a900, I traded it back for my old akg 271+zu combo(thanks epsiarch!!) I think the zu cable adds the extra edge needed to make the akg my favorite closed headphones under $1500 dollars, but I actually returned to the stock cable because the microphonics of the zu were driving me crazy.

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 15
I didnt resleave it myself, I will PM you details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back