AKG K271S alternative
Jan 23, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Banfi T.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am on a hunt after a good closed can and I could use some advice...

I hart draws me towards and AKG271S, but it seems no one has experience with the recabling of this phone and I can't go back from balanced operation, so this is a must.

As for my preferences I had a Sennheiser HD565 Ovation and a HD600 before (driven with solid state and tube amplification as well), but I did not liked the laid back presentation of the Sennheisers. I have a really old Beyerdynamic 880 which I quite like, but my favoured is for some time is 501. Once I got use to its uncolored mid presentation there was no turning back.

However, I badly need a closed headphone which I could use till things get quiet in the house.

What I would like to have in these phones:
- a lively presentation, I really do not want to fall asleep while hearing music
- good noise seal
- and if possible an airy presentation
- no extrem highs or bass
- no special connector like those mini XLRs on the K271S

Price range is about the price of the 271, but here in Hungary prices are very different, so first suggestions, then I look up where can I buy them for how much
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks...

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 6
IN competition with the K271's is much of Audio Techinca. Im my mind, they are the other maker of closed headphones. The ATH900 and 700/500 are both praised around these forums and incredibly comfortable. As for the sound, I didn't listen to them as much as I wanted to at the last meet, but a search should reveal some impressions.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the input, but I just couldn't find any shop in Hungary selling Audio Technika headphones (cartridges are accessible).

Could some point me to a realible on-line shop in Europe (Germany or Austria would be the best of course.)

Also any other comment?

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banfi T.
What I would like to have in these phones:
- a lively presentation, I really do not want to fall asleep while hearing music
- good noise seal
- and if possible an airy presentation
- no extrem highs or bass
- no special connector like those mini XLRs on the K271S

ATH-A900 and W5000 series:

+ lively, yes
- noise seal, not from outside, don't leak much at all though
-/+ airy presentation, not the best, but better than many other closed
(-) extreme highs, matter of debate, but these are not the most subdued in the highs, much less stingy than Ultrasone, though
+ ordinary connectors, have to recable yourself (A900 one-sided, W5000 two sided cables)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back