akg k271 vs k240
Oct 14, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 27
Tat's what I mean. Amp + Phone stacked.

The CMoy is built into an altoids tin - pretty small. The E7/E11 are likewise about the same size as your phone. Very portable.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 27
They'll be fine.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 27
Portable amp is not really worth the money and hassle.
There are very good portable amps, but then your problem would be the source..
So, the best way is don't go there....
Just pick a cell phone friendly headphone that fits your need.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
sorry for so manny  threads, i think and hope this will be my last one. i narowed it down to just 2 headphones

witch one of the 2 headphones are better (akg k271 or akg 240)?
i will not be using an amp! i will use my phone!  (galaxy s)

btw
[size=10pt] "  i like rock such as AC/DC, gunz and roses, pink Floyd, disco panic.[/size]
[size=10pt]i like folk, jazz, Irish music, western music, some hip hop, and classical music.[/size]
[size=10pt]as you can see I like a lot of types of music. i like to hear every thing clear, every "side voice"[/size]
[size=10pt]like in this song:[/size]
[size=10pt]"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M&feature=related"[/size]
[size=10pt]I want to hear every sound super clear (there are tons of instrument in this song.. that you can barely hear! I want to hear all of them! apart!) "[/size]

IMHO, the k240 is much better for rock, the semi U-shaped frequency response just sounds awesome for rock - really groovy. I don't listen to *lots* of hip hop, but electronica sounds pretty good to me as does the crossover hip hop stuff - beastie boys, black eyed peas, etc. I thought the k271 was sort nasal and bass lean, and just didn't care for it at all. I really really tried to like it. Neither isolates worth a damn.

So, hands down - k240.

No clue on whether or not your phone has enough juice.

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
I have both of them.
Yes, they both have detachable cable.
They will sound ok (but not great) from your cell phone.
The sound signature of those two are similar, they are good for people who cares about sound of instruments.
The so call "lack of bass" problem (the reason why some may not like it) is more prominent in K240 due to its open design.
So I would suggest K271 out of these two.
However, you may want to try other phones.
If you want to go for closed phones, try Shure SRH840 (even more easier to drive by portable players)

Can you confirm this one more time? Because according to the graph K240 is much more prominent in the bass region. I heard they supposedly share the same drivers so this is even more baffling.

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #25 of 27
Opened end phone needs to pump up the volume in low frequency to make it sounds similar to its closed brother.
The reason is quite simple, the amount of energy can stay in the closed air room in closed phones but not for open-end phones.

Frequency response does not tell us too much in terms of music listening, since people rarely listen to one frequency alone.
In order to make the overall presentation of music make sense, designers need to worry about how different frequencies are presented all together at the same time rather than merely those dots connected in FR.

Overall K271/K240 are similar in sound signature, one may found K240 a little bit plain comparing to K271 simply because open vs. close.

Quote:

Can you confirm this one more time? Because according to the graph K240 is much more prominent in the bass region. I heard they supposedly share the same drivers so this is even more baffling.

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
Opened end phone needs to pump up the volume in low frequency to make it sounds similar to its closed brother.
The reason is quite simple, the amount of energy can stay in the closed air room in closed phones but not for open-end phones.

Frequency response does not tell us too much in terms of music listening, since people rarely listen to one frequency alone.
In order to make the overall presentation of music make sense, designers need to worry about how different frequencies are presented all together at the same time rather than merely those dots connected in FR. 
Overall K271/K240 are similar in sound signature, one may found K240 a little bit plain comparing to K271 simply because open vs. close.

I'm aware of the general aspects of open and closed designs and the inaccuracy of the frequency response. I was asking because you said K240 was "more prominent in lack of bass" compared to K271, while poster above me thought otherwise, saying K271 was "nasal and bass lean" compared to K240. Two contradicting responses.

Are you sure K271 is more bass heavy than the K240?

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 27
Nope, they sound very similar, K240 is slightly plainer than K271 because of the open-ended design.

This is not conflicting with what's the FR graph shows.
The graph merely connects the dots of how loud one particular frequency a pair of headphone make in a very short period of time.
It does not tell you how different frequencies sound like to your ears when they mix together.
It does not tell you how long the sound wave will stay in the air room between your ears and the headphone.
I presume that people don't get to conclusion of "bass-heavy" by listening one second of very low frequency.
To make K240 sound similar to K271, K240 has to pump up volume in some frequencies.
Similarly, K271 would simply be unbearable if it has the same FR as K240.

Quote:
I'm aware of the general aspects of open and closed designs and the inaccuracy of the frequency response. I was asking because you said K240 was "more prominent in lack of bass" compared to K271, while poster above me thought otherwise, saying K271 was "nasal and bass lean" compared to K240. Two contradicting responses.

Are you sure K271 is more bass heavy than the K240?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back