AKG K270 Playback's arrived - Impressions and pics! - UPDATED-
Jul 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I prized off the badges (which was really easy as the glue seems to have gone all melted and weird) and undid that screw and stuff to replace the elastics, which seems easy enough. But if I shine a light into the back of the driver, under where the AKG badge used to be, there seems to be some foam which has gone all crumbly (like it does over time). Should I replace this foam or what? How do I get into that part behind the driver?

It's not as big of a deal to replace as it is in on the K240 due to the completely different earcup structure, but it certainly won't hurt to replace it. To get to it, you have to have the back of the earcups open like when going to the elastics. On the left and right side there will be a little tab right where the hinge is you can see from the sides, and you just gotta pry them inwards with a screwdriver to separate the two parts of the earcups. The wires will still be passing through the two sections, so be careful not to put too much strain on the wires when you have them apart. The replacement foam is just be a thin little 1/4" x 1/4" x 4" strip of foam curled up into a circle.

EDIT: Part number for K270 foam is 2123Z1101, listed in the service docs as "damper strip."

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #17 of 23
If it doesn't affect the sound much I don't think I'll go to the effort and risk of replacing that foam.

I did replace the elastics but the only elastic thread we have is a bit thinner than the original stuff so it might not last as long. Seems good though, a bit loose so I might wind them round a bit more. I couldn't be bothered putting it through all the little holes and stuff which looked to be impossible, so I did it the ghetto way with some tape.

Gonna stuff the pads next then on to the review. So far, I like em.

Oh also, does anyone know what year the K270 Playbacks were in production?

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 23
Sorry, still no sound impressions. Trying to adjust the comfort still.

Would a rubberband make a good substitute for new elastics? The elastic thread I chose doesn't seem to be tight enough as the headphones still slip down my head.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #19 of 23
Updated my first post with sound impressions. Sorry, they're a bit vague. I might update them more later when I'm in more of a listening mood.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #20 of 23
Thanks for the impressions. From what you said it seems like the K270 is pretty to close to the sextett which I would also describe as a mix between a Grado and a Senn.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions. From what you said it seems like the K270 is pretty to close to the sextett which I would also describe as a mix between a Grado and a Senn.

Yeah. People have said these are like closed sextetts. It has the up-frontedness and energy of a Grado, but it is more dark and in that way is kinda like a senn IMO.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #22 of 23
On another note, lol@Dick Smith router :p
(For the Americans, Dick Smith is like the 'Bose of electronic goods' down here in NZ...insanely overpriced (for most things) yet the public flock in drove to buy from there due to advertising and well, being plain dumb. For the older folk, you may of remembered their stores in the US back in the '80's).

Nice review btw Fras
smily_headphones1.gif

Spend some more money so I don't don't have to review them from a Kiwi perspective :p

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note, lol@Dick Smith router :p
(For the Americans, Dick Smith is like the 'Bose of electronic goods' down here in NZ...insanely overpriced (for most things) yet the public flock in drove to buy from there due to advertising and well, being plain dumb. For the older folk, you may of remembered their stores in the US back in the '80's).

Nice review btw Fras
smily_headphones1.gif

Spend some more money so I don't don't have to review them from a Kiwi perspective :p

Hey, its not too bad! It was only about $50 and works pretty good
wink.gif

Plus the box makes a good speaker stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back