AKG K240
Nov 22, 2002 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redbike2001

New Head-Fier
I just happened upon a pair of AKG K240 headphones that I bought several years ago. They are marked 600 ohms. Are these things any good? Curious if someone could give me a comperable to what is on the market today. My primary headphones are the Senn 497s.

Thanks for the input!

Eric

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm guessing what you have are the AKG 240Ms, since they are 600 ohms. I have both the 240Ms (600 ohms) and the HD 497s also. I became interested in my ~10-year-old 240s when someone posted about them being one of their favorite old standby headphones here... do a quick head-fi search!

The 240s sound nice, they really do, but the bass and the highs are both pretty relaxed by modern standards, but I think the tonal balance is pretty good. If you want to sit down for a relaxing, very comfrotable, long term listening session, the 240Ms might be just your thing. A legitimate and balanced but maybe outdated sound, IMHO.

If you check headroom I think you'll find some more modern 240s with the same general tonal balance but a more modern sound in the highs and lows. But for that kind of money you can get... A PAIR OF HD 580s at newegg.com !!!!

The HD 497s I think you'll notice have a lot more PUNCH in the bass and sizzle in the highs thant the 240Ms, but are still smooth. The price.. maybe the midrange is just a little de-emphasized. The 240Ms relax on the high and low ends, so that you get a comfortable, close, relaxing listen where most of the music is, in the midrange. Geez I'm full of it.
biggrin.gif

What you do have is two really different sounds.... I think that's really nice to have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
I'm guessing what you have are the AKG 240Ms, since they are 600 ohms. I have both the 240Ms (600 ohms) and the HD 497s also. I became interested in my ~10-year-old 240s when someone posted about them being one of their favorite old standby headphones here... do a quick head-fi search!

I'm guessing that it was me who made that post.

I love my old 240's...I've had them for 20 years, and they replaced what was said to be the best available at the time - the Koss Pro4AA.

As Steve999 says, they are a bit neutral by today's standards. However, I still find them to be warm and natural...very non-fatiguing. By comparison, I can only listen to my Grado 225's for so long before I need to take a break.

They don't get much use here any more, but they are by no means ready for the glue works. I'm going to give them to my younger brother, who is only now getting into the whole headphone thing. My guess is that he gets at least another 10 years out of them.

Based on what I've heard, I'd compare them to some of the mid-to-higher priced Sony headphones. Hope that helps...

biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 5
I too have a pair of 20 year old AKG240's. Did a fairly long comparison with a pair of Senn 580's. More detail in the 580's, but the AKG gave a fair run for the money. The AKG's are a very relaxing fit, and very easy to listen to.

----------------------------------

Kevin

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5
i have an old pair of 240m that i repaired. i don't use them without an amp, at 600 ohms. these cans have a dry, neutral sound, with little treble sparkle or bass oomph. they are excellent for baroque and classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back