AKG K240 studio
May 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RobustOrange

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing these. I don't own a pair of flat(ish) headphones, and I thought I should get these after seeing the good reviews of them. Though, no one has ever mentioned how they sound with metal or industrial, because that's what I listen to.  I thought I maybe could EQ them, though that only does so much. Thanks for the help. 

May 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 13
AKG K240 series have a good mid range and in general are good for music, but may not be bassy enough for a metal head.
But i do think they are a good value for the price.
The Superlux HD668Bs are a lower cost tawian knock off of the AKG K240s

May 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Ah, I see. I've heard of the superlux, though they may be too bright for me. Do the K240 respond well to EQ?

Never use the EQ myself.

May 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 13
What? the 240 studios defiantly is pretty bassy. i think of them a very warm sounding akg. can solve that by taking the foam discs out but then it'll turn into a sibilance mess that'll stab inside your ears senseless so it's better to just leave it in there. it is pretty warm sounding though and the treble sounds very relax(rolled off). probably my least favorite 240 model but it is pretty good headphone and do like it a bit.

what will you be running it from? if it's pretty decent source i rather snag up pair of 600ohm 240 monitors instead. much more neutral overall and defiantly better extension at both ends of the spectrum with better clarity. you can find them cheaper or around same price as the retail price of the studios and monitors are still pretty common too so finding them on ebay is no sweat. or even local craigslist they might be popping up as well. that's if you don't mind going used(finding NOS[new old stock] monitors is still pretty rare).

May 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 13
The newer model K240s have a rather warm, slightly boomy sound compared to the older K240M, which had a very flat response. Look around for a used pair of K240Ms or I would suggest a different model AKG if thats the headphone style you like.

May 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't have the proper source for something with a high impedance, A laptop and a fiio E6. So something that is 600 ohms wouldn't be possible. I mentioned EQ because I listen to various genres, so I often have to change EQ even now to accomodate them.

May 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I don't have the proper source for something with a high impedance, A laptop and a fiio E6. So something that is 600 ohms wouldn't be possible. I mentioned EQ because I listen to various genres, so I often have to change EQ even now to accomodate them.

The thing about EQ is that built ins for players like iTunes and Songbird are not professional EQs; The precision isn't good and, since you want flat response, you'd have to EQ every song separately. It's why audiophiles don't use EQs but instead favor a certain headphone's color for whatever genre they listen to. I don't know what your ears favor, but I do know you don't want headphones with a boomy low end. It's not precise and its uninteresting to listen to.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 13
Hey Robust, did you wind up picking up a pair of these?  I picked up a pair about two weeks ago and it sounds great for most things . . . but I get a strange concert hall type of reverb running Headhunter (Funker Vogt Mix) through it.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Hey Robust, did you wind up picking up a pair of these?  I picked up a pair about two weeks ago and it sounds great for most things . . . but I get a strange concert hall type of reverb running Headhunter (Funker Vogt Mix) through it.

That's weird. Small audioworld.

I was listening to Funker vogt (although a different song) when I started to notice a weird bass reverb in my 240s. You know how that goes.. Once something brings it to your attention you start noticing it all the time. Driving me crazy now.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
That's weird. Small audioworld.

I was listening to Funker vogt (although a different song) when I started to notice a weird bass reverb in my 240s. You know how that goes.. Once something brings it to your attention you start noticing it all the time. Driving me crazy now.

LOL!  you're welcome!  Just paying it forward is all...

A couple of weeks ago, Beagle pointed out a flaw in an old Henley track to me.  In this case it's even worse because the track is effed.  Now I get to hear that flaw in EVERY SINGLE PAIR OF CANS I OWN, despite not having heard it ever in the past 22 years.  BIG THANKS BEAGUE! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back