AKG K240 Studio Review
Jan 9, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #92 of 150
It may depend. They sound very alive and natural to me with '70s/'80s electric guitar tones. Thinking Savatage, Malmsteen, even ZZ top type stuff. Not nearly as good as the K 702s, but great for the price.

For a more modern ultra saturated Peavey 5150 metalcore/screamo/br00tal chugguh chugguh burpy vocals stuff maybe not. Not exactly my favorite genres so I never tried, but I did try them with hard EDM/EBM and they did not pass that test -- they lose control with busy mixes and extreme bass.

For those genres something with lots of smooth headroom like the SRH840 or Beyer 880 might be better.

Notably I found the SR60s absolutely unusable and painful for metal so maybe our ears are just different...

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #93 of 150
They lack the bass extension for EDM styles. I was basically agreeing that the SR60 would be bad for metal cause it's going to be way too mid forward. The K240 has some minor ringing in the upper mids so it can make guitars sound a little harsh depending on the song but I don't find it forward at all compared to my least favorite headphone of all time, the MDR-V6. My god, do NOT buy something like that for metal.

If you don't care too much about super deep bass, I really think the 240s are great for metal as they have lots of detail up top, way more than their price would usually indicate, and that helps as metal tends to be mixed with cymbals a bit muted compared to the mid-forward guitar distortion, but it obviously depends on what mix you're listening to. I find they bring out the texture on the drums and also thicken up the guitars with their slightly boosted low mids and upper bass but also have a nice attack in the mids - a great combo.

Overall the 240 is a pretty incredible headphone for $70. It manages to deliver around 75-80% of the experience of a Q701 at almost a third the price. I own both.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #94 of 150
Agreed -- I was indirectly responding to zunehdrocks. The K 240s are definitely better for the type of classic/80s metal I listen to.

They're also fun for practicing guitar if you have an axefx or amplitube etc. But I've become a mid frequency junkie and I'm the same way with guitar amps (Marshall)... So again I can't vouch whether they handle modern bass-heavy tones.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #95 of 150
I totally agree, I've been playing guitar for over 10 years now and as a guitar monitor for recording, they're awesome. Pretty accurate and also the mids are forward enough to prevent you from making the sound overly sharp for the final result.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #97 of 150
The above comments are really making me impatient on getting these! I am also glad you guys mentioned that these are great with guitar, I've been playing for 5 years and own a Gibson SG. The music forum I am a part of is doing a cover band compilation thing, so this is good timing!

Also, an example of my favorite band in which I will be listening to with these cans. Symphonic elements and strong female vocals should sound amazing from what I have read. :)

http://youtu.be/14mQ4meUj1k

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #98 of 150
^ I'm mostly into symphonic metal with great female vocals, I lot of people said female vocals sound great with these. :)

Not a high quality video, but an example of what I am specificly aiming at:

http://youtu.be/j3efotyFjDo

If you're looking for something fairly balanced the koss pro dj100 with genuine m50 pads would be a good pick. Its strengths are bass speed, vocals, and detail retrieval.
Its weaknesses:
Overall bass impact
Isolation
Stock pads

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #101 of 150
  ok so your review is very good and asnwers alot of my questions but can you help me out i wrote a forum and woul like some answers if i could get some

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750861/samson-sr850-vs-akg-k-240

240 hands down. The SR850 is basically a Superlux rebrand, and their treble is quite brittle. I heard one in a store once. The K240 generates a lot of attempts to actually copy its design and sound, but I find that nothing succeeds except the 240 itself.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #102 of 150
  240 hands down. The SR850 is basically a Superlux rebrand, and their treble is quite brittle. I heard one in a store once. The K240 generates a lot of attempts to actually copy its design and sound, but I find that nothing succeeds except the 240 itself.

thats very helpful would the 

Behringer UCA202  be a good pairing with this im just using my laptop and i will get an amp but idk when just yet, i just wanna be able to get the best out of this for the price ya dig?

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #103 of 150
  thats very helpful would the 

Behringer UCA202  be a good pairing with this im just using my laptop and i will get an amp but idk when just yet, i just wanna be able to get the best out of this for the price ya dig?

Honestly have no idea. They aren't the easiest to drive though. You can always get a FiiO E6 to push them harder if you need it.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #104 of 150
Honestly have no idea. They aren't the easiest to drive though. You can always get a FiiO E6 to push them harder if you need it.
fiio e6 is a good choice.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #105 of 150
There really isn't a point to the fiio e6 unless you:
simply need more volume
need an amp with a very low output impedance for low impedance headphones

I prefer my koss prodj100+iphone 4s to the koss prodj100+fiio e6+ iphone 4s with fiio line out
The e6 adds a bit of bass impact but adds too much warmth to the sound (transparency problem)

If you want to try a new dac/amp check out:
Hifimediy sabre Dac
Fiio e7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back