AKG K240 Studio pads
Jul 2, 2008 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tdaliviu

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I am displeased with my original K240 Studio pleather pads (get greasy and harden with time), so I thougth I would change them. I tried the K240 Studio Mk. 2 velour ear pads, but they change the sound pretty much and are very unkomfortable to my rather big ears. The question is what other headphone velour pads would fit the K240 and does anyone know where to get a hold of these in Europe?

Thanx.

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 16
Apparently the Beyerdynamic DT770 pads fit the K240's. But also any velour pad is supposed to change the K240 sound. If you want the same sound as before then youll want the normal k240 pleather.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 16
The Beyer pad will provide more room for your ears.......and they can be dyed any color with ordinary fabric dye. I've done them in red, and also black - it works very well.
In Germany, they can be obtained directly from Beyerdynamic, or Musikhaus Thomann.........and several other places.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Strange... I found different part numbers for the same part name. In the 2008 year BD catalog the cushions are named "EDT 770 V" and have the part number 926.660, while the same "EDT 770 V" in another source (probably older) have the part number 426.660... Does anyone know what number should I look for? And as I understand Kabeer mentions optional BLACK "EDT 770 VB" with p/n 904.155?

BushGuy, thanks for the dyeing tip. If I get a hold of the gray ones and I don't like the colour, this would be a consideration.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdaliviu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange... I found different part numbers for the same part name. In the 2008 year BD catalog the cushions are named "EDT 770 V" and have the part number 926.660, while the same "EDT 770 V" in another source (probably older) have the part number 426.660... Does anyone know what number should I look for? And as I understand Kabeer mentions optional BLACK "EDT 770 VB" with p/n 904.155?

BushGuy, thanks for the dyeing tip. If I get a hold of the gray ones and I don't like the colour, this would be a consideration.

As far as I know, the EDT 770 V has order number 926.660
There are also black soft PVC pads that fits the AKG: EDT 330 S, ordering number 907.097.
see: beyerdynamic accessories

But on Search Results - Page 1 - Dutch International Cyberstore
the number for the EDT 770 is 426.660. Someone must've made a mistake, swapping the 9 for a 4.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Tiemen, thanks for clearing up. But still two PDF's I found include 426.660 as p/n (see here and here).

Anyway, I'm going to ask for the 926.660
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks everyone...

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Me again.
With all the help from everyone in here, I visited a local Beyerdynamic dealer and sweet heavens, they had the part IN STOCK!
biggrin.gif
Boy, was it a joy. Once I arrived home I immediately put the new pads on. They are much, MUCH more comfy than the original ones AND the velour ones from AKG! Another question that remains is how they change the sound. I left this for later exploration...
For now I wanted to show the results of my little tweaking I've done to my K240s
smily_headphones1.gif

The mods include:
- BD DT770 pads (thanks everyone!);
- custom DIY wire with high-grade connectors;
- defoaming.
Click on the images to zoom them.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 16
Me again.
With all the help from everyone in here, I visited a local Beyerdynamic dealer and sweet heavens, they had the part IN STOCK!
biggrin.gif
Boy, was it a joy. Once I arrived home I immediately put the new pads on. They are much, MUCH more comfy than the original ones AND the velour ones from AKG! Another question that remains is how they change the sound. I left this for later exploration...
For now I wanted to show the results of my little tweaking I've done to my K240s
smily_headphones1.gif

The mods include:
- BD DT770 pads (thanks everyone!);
- custom DIY wire with high-grade connectors;
- defoaming.
Click on the images to zoom them.

How does it sound?

Jul 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Wow, it's for the first time someone asks me about something I posted 10 years ago :). Tempus fugit!

I am sorry, but I won't be able to answer the question simply because I already don't remember :-D I think they sounded better then, but I remember defoaming didn't do any good to my ears - they hurt if I listened for a long time because the cans were pressing against them. I still have the cans, although went back to foam and stock cable (much more manageable). Nowadays I use them as drum monitor cans and for everyday tasks as watching movies on my laptop.

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Wow, it's for the first time someone asks me about something I posted 10 years ago :). Tempus fugit!

I am sorry, but I won't be able to answer the question simply because I already don't remember :-D I think they sounded better then, but I remember defoaming didn't do any good to my ears - they hurt if I listened for a long time because the cans were pressing against them. I still have the cans, although went back to foam and stock cable (much more manageable). Nowadays I use them as drum monitor cans and for everyday tasks as watching movies on my laptop.

Sorry, I was searching google about an upgrade to the pads on my k240 mk2, and didn't see the thread was this old... :D

But, since you're here, let me question a bit further, I'm interested on the comfort and the sound quality of the Beyerdynamic pads, do you remember if the sound is any better or at least don't get worse?

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 16
No problem. Comfortwise the cans got much better with the BD pads. In terms of SQ, I don't think anything has changed much. Maybe the cans became less boomy? Anyway, for 20 EUR you can definitely try this experiment.

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 16
shure 1540 i found worked with older Austrian M n S models. I went with 770VB on vintage Monitor (600 ohm)and 1540 on Sextett (LP).

Worth a shot.

I prefer comfort of 1540 over 770VB/770V

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 16
If one's ready to pay twice the price of DT770 pads for the Shure 1540 - sure, why not experiment? Of course the price of a new pair of AKG K-240 Studio is about the same (55 EUR on Thomann), so that'd make me think twice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back