AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Feb 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #617 of 1,737

Quote:
K240 pads: $20.70 for a pair from Frank.  The pricing is $10.35 ea, so you have to make sure to order 2 of them.

You can ask him on the phone what's in stock vs not.  In stock stuff ships in a day or two.  Very fast.

You beat me by a few seconds. If I saw your post before I would've just bought them from Frank instead of Sweetwater. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #618 of 1,737

Quote:
Quote:
K240 pads: $20.70 for a pair from Frank.  The pricing is $10.35 ea, so you have to make sure to order 2 of them.

You can ask him on the phone what's in stock vs not.  In stock stuff ships in a day or two.  Very fast.

You beat me by a few seconds. If I saw your post before I would've just bought them from Frank instead of Sweetwater. 
rolleyes.gif

Either way you can't go wrong. Since Sweetwater is a retail establishment I would say they'll be more prompt about shipping out your items quickly (they actually called me a couple hours after I made the hour to confirm, which was a little odd). Then again, AKG direct *IS* straight from AKG...

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #619 of 1,737
You're probably right about the shipping. And, I have also bought a few things from them in the past so I know they are trust worthy. It's just that ordering from Frank would have simplified ordering of several different parts. Plus, it's kind of good to see companies backing up their products with real people instead of automated computers.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #620 of 1,737
I got a set from Sweetwater too before I did the "big" order with Frank later on. 
smile_phones.gif

The odd thing about the Sweetwater order, is that they came in a big honkin' box for some reason.  Maybe they didn't have a smaller box on hand or something.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #622 of 1,737
After listening some time to my Sextett LP, all I can say is: yes they are worth it.
If I would be forced to keep only one headphone, it would be this one.

The sound they produce is coherent, musical and realistic.
It's a fun sound (lets you enjoy the music) with enough hi-fi to let you hear all the details you need to hear (on par with my DT880).

They do very little wrong, and a lot good.
And they work with every type of music to boot.

But you need to have some luck with finding one in decent condition.

Quote:
Regular-condition Sextetts seem to be going for up to $120-130 here on Head-Fi, and I've seen recabled/refurbished ones that sold for $200.

I can't say I've experienced the full Sextett magic, seeing as I've only heard one working driver, but I have to ask: are they really worth more than 100 dollars for the sound alone; i.e. are they overhyped? The one driver I heard, I'd describe as fun, not high-end or anything like that; based on this experience I wouldn't rate them technically higher than the K 501 for instance – which go for about the same price, right?

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #623 of 1,737

Quote:
After listening some time to my Sextett LP, all I can say is: yes they are worth it.
If I would be forced to keep only one headphone, it would be this one.

I feel that way too.  I'm always going to keep them because in case I have to sell all my gear in a financial crisis which doesn't seem all that unlikely with all the corporate mobsters running the states right now, I could be happy with just the Sextetts. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #624 of 1,737

Quote:
Quote:
I got a set from Sweetwater too before I did the "big" order with Frank later on. 
smile_phones.gif

The odd thing about the Sweetwater order, is that they came in a big honkin' box for some reason.  Maybe they didn't have a smaller box on hand or something.

The big box is so they can fit in that phonebook-sized catalog in with your order...

I got really mad when I got that stupidly huge box and that worthless huge catalog and I called them and told them I would never buy from them again because of it.  But they didn't really care...

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #625 of 1,737

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
smile_phones.gif

The big box is so they can fit in that phonebook-sized catalog in with your order...

I got really mad when I got that stupidly huge box and that worthless huge catalog and I called them and told them I would never buy from them again because of it.  But they didn't really care...

When I got my pads they just sent a padded envelope. And they included candy! Who doesn't like candy? I'm a little surprised they didn't care because when I made my order a guy called me to personally confirm that I had made the order and they were shipping to the right address. Just seems weird that they didn't care they weren't going to get someone's business again.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #626 of 1,737

Quote:
Quote:
smile_phones.gif

My big box didn't have a catalog in it.

frown.gif

Maybe they forgot.

smile_phones.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #628 of 1,737
Has anyone come across a headphone that shares most of the qualities of the Sextetts (nice detailed mids, somewhat-bassy, slightly recessed but fun treble) but does everything better - i.e. more detail in the treble, more control over the (imo slightly bloated/bloomy) bass, more soundstage?

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #629 of 1,737
The W11JPN is the first headphone which comes to mind. It has some strong tonal similarities to the Sextetts but the JPNs are more resolving across the board and have a larger and better defined soundstage.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #630 of 1,737
I've been through dozens of headphones, but the one thing that kept reminding me of the Sextett (LP)  is the Koss Pro DJ100. I compared them side by side for an hour one night. It fits your description exactly but ONLY when amped very well, but it doesn't have a bigger soundstage. The mids on the DJ100 are slightly more forward though and far better for vocals. The Sextett feels like a semi-open version of the DJ100 that's far harder to drive. I actually prefer the DJ100 in every area except for the Soundstage. DJ100's soundstage is actually very good for a closed headphone.

It's basically a toss up if one has more detail than the other. The sound is slightly more clear on the DJ100 though. That's my main issue with the Sextett. The sound just isn't as clear as it could be, but not bad for what was once a $75 headphone!

Kind of reminds me of a portable version of the Sextett. I use mine with the Sony MDR-V6 pads, so that may change the sound slightly.

Quote:
Has anyone come across a headphone that shares most of the qualities of the Sextetts (nice detailed mids, somewhat-bassy, slightly recessed but fun treble) but does everything better - i.e. more detail in the treble, more control over the (imo slightly bloated/bloomy) bass, more soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back