AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Aug 5, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,561 of 1,737
Thanks, I literally just found and watched that same video. I've seen a part removed (shown just under his thumb in that pic). I'm not sure if it's necessary or not, to get to the inner foam ring? I'm assuming that you need to unsolder the whole side to be able to slip[ on the ring and put it in place, unless it has a slit in it. Or do people just cut it and fit into place?
There are peoples that say it is there just to limit the swivel of the capsule and others (like me) that it is there for acoustic reasons too (i posted way back saying that the difference is not abysmal but like a 5 to 10% tuning). If the one in Yours is still the original, for sure is crumbled and there is a mess over there that need to be cleaned (and it is up to You to decide to Put another in or leave it be, btw if You cut it to pplace it, You don't need to do all the desolder to Put it on). Opening that is easy, just a blunt and slim object, pry it moving to the external until it pops out

Attachments

• IMG_20210806_003723-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210806_003723-01.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210806_004158.jpg
    IMG_20210806_004158.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 5, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,563 of 1,737
Thank you! Super helpful. I'll do a follow-up and try to show pictures. I'm considering replacing or making a new headband too, as the Sextett band has a few edge cracks. I'm going to explore ways of fixing vinyl to see if that can be done well.
Happy restoring, and eagerly waiting for the comparisons between the headphones You mentioned :beerchug:

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,564 of 1,737
Hi all. This seems to be the closest to a dedicated K240 thread so it seems like a logical place to post a question about K240 pads.

I got a K240 itch a few years ago and picked up a working set of 600 ohm K240 Monitors on eBay. Don't recall what I paid but it was less than $100. I think at the time I dated them to early/mid 1990's. I refurbed with oem pads, foam, hangers as they were all shot. I have never found them to be very comfortable and ultimately I think it is the pads. The material isn't soft enough and padding is a little too stiff.

I replaced the pads a couple of weeks ago with a set of Shure SRH840 pads. The difference is night and day. However, much like the stock pads I find that they get hot and sweaty pretty quick and are still a challenge for prolonged listening.

I am game to throw $10 at a set of velour Geekria but I am also tempted to throw $40 at a set of Shure SRH1540 Alcantara pads.

I expect both will have an impact on the sound signature but I am more concerned about comfort, eq addresses the former. Any opinion on either as to head sweats? (I can guess there may be earlier posts but I didn't have the fortitude to peruse them or the chops to yield a useful search result).

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,567 of 1,737
Photos please! I'd like to see how it fits compared to the Brainwavz oval hybrids that I have. :)
I hope this shows what you are looking for. I am not posting head shots! :dt880smile:

They were a minor pita to mount but I managed to not damage the surround or the material. They are mildly oval but once installed are circular. Do the Brainwavz retain a more oval shape?
pk53jDy.jpg

gMkunmX.jpg

DWt10oT.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,568 of 1,737
Thanks for your pics, it looks great!

The Brainwavz oval hybrid pads also are a minor struggle to install (pre-stretching the over-flap gently really helps). But as you can see in the 1st pic, they do retain an oval shape. All-in-all, they sound balanced and are supremely comfy w/o getting too hot (the all-pleather is a different story!).

How's the bass response with the Alcantara pads? Cheers.

IMG-3906.JPGIMG-3908.JPGIMG-3909.JPG

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,569 of 1,737
Thanks for your pics, it looks great!

The Brainwavz oval hybrid pads also are a minor struggle to install (pre-stretching the over-flap gently really helps). But as you can see in the 1st pic, they do retain an oval shape. All-in-all, they sound balanced and are supremely comfy w/o getting too hot (the all-pleather is a different story!).

How's the bass response with the Alcantara pads? Cheers.
No real change in LF. I am not a bass head but I consider these to be somewhat bass light (as compared to Senn HD650, various Grado and Koss). But I was only listening from my preamp last night (Anthem Pre2L, tube out on the headphone jack). I expect that on my desktop (Liquid Spark with APO eq Harmon Sextett settings) they will be as lf monstrous as ever. :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,570 of 1,737
Just swapped some pads on my LPs, took off the Dekoni hybrids and put on ZMF Auteurs in perforated suede. Really good sound. Bass is clean and noticeable, and overall clarity is fabulous... sounds way better than my 6XXs and almost as good as my Auteurs.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,571 of 1,737
Just swapped some pads on my LPs, took off the Dekoni hybrids and put on ZMF Auteurs in perforated suede. Really good sound. Bass is clean and noticeable, and overall clarity is fabulous... sounds way better than my 6XXs and almost as good as my Auteurs.
Just looked 'em up...those pads look truly luxurious! Enjoy! :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,572 of 1,737
I tried some Brainwavz hybrids on my MP Sextett. Little bit more fullness to the bass, but it may have made the highs just a little bit harsh, I'm noticing some sibilants I wasn't noticing before. Hard to tell if that's just placebo, though, pads are such a pain to A/B test. Bass improvement is definitely real, though.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,573 of 1,737
"I tried some Brainwavz hybrids on my MP Sextett. Little bit more fullness to the bass, but it may have made the highs just a little bit harsh, I'm noticing some sibilants I wasn't noticing before."
That sounds close to what I hear. Except my Bottlehead Crack tube amp doesn't allow the highs to get all the way to sibilance or harshness. With my setup, the synergy allows a lively bite to the highs that is exhilarating and lifelike, but never harsh. Hope you find the right surrounding gear to really enjoy your K240.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #1,574 of 1,737
Yeah, the BHC is on my shopping list. I was originally just looking for a tube amp to pair with my HD6XX, and then learned that the BHC also pairs particularly well with the Sextett and I was sold. Next time there's a discount, I'm going for it.

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,575 of 1,737
Yeah, the BHC is on my shopping list. I was originally just looking for a tube amp to pair with my HD6XX, and then learned that the BHC also pairs particularly well with the Sextett and I was sold. Next time there's a discount, I'm going for it.
BHC is fantastic with Sextetts and really any 600 ohm AKGs. I'm listening to my K240DFs on mine, it's brilliant. Also a lot of fun to build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back