AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Nov 22, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,036 of 1,737
I really have no idea. Don't have a Vali. But looking at the specs, you won't quite reach 110dB based on the 115mW power output of the amp. 110dB would require 127mW. In other words the headphones should be able to be driven fine by the Vali. 110dB is fairly loud. Try it out and let us know.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,037 of 1,737
  I wouldn't use an O2 with them. They need much more voltage gain. If you use high gain (5x) they are ok, but not great. I bring out the big guns when I'm using my Sextetts. I like using my Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid, which has the oomph required to drive them. Maybe a LYR2 or Schiit's Valhalla 2 OTL based amp would work fine.

I'm not familiar with the O2, but I generally agree with your assessment. I need to use my E12 to make my Sextetts happy.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,038 of 1,737
  I really have no idea. Don't have a Vali. But looking at the specs, you won't quite reach 110dB based on the 115mW power output of the amp. 110dB would require 127mW. In other words the headphones should be able to be driven fine by the Vali. 110dB is fairly loud. Try it out and let us know.

If i get one, i shall do. Thanks for the elimination of the O2 anyway.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,039 of 1,737
Well I'm having a Sextett Sunday.  Pink Floyd Animals on tap right now.  These cans still bring a smile to my face like they did the first time I heard them so many many years ago.  
beyersmile.png

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,040 of 1,737
  I wouldn't use an O2 with them. They need much more voltage gain. If you use high gain (5x) they are ok, but not great. I bring out the big guns when I'm using my Sextetts. I like using my Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid, which has the oomph required to drive them. Maybe a LYR2 or Schiit's Valhalla 2 OTL based amp would work fine.

From my experience an efficient amp is essential, my now sold Bellari HA540 Amp was a poor fit, a portable ALO MKll was more up to the task.  From a spec standpoint it should have been the other way around.

If i get one, i shall do. Thanks for the elimination of the O2 anyway.

If you want a less expensive HP amp, check out the vintage amp/receivers from the 70's they powered these mid 70's HP's.  That was back at a time when all a receiver had to do was power a turntable, tuner, and two speakers.  Plenty of power left over for the HP out.

Well I'm having a Sextett Sunday.  Pink Floyd Animals on tap right now.  These cans still bring a smile to my face like they did the first time I heard them so many many years ago.  
beyersmile.png

A very musical soundstage and a unique vintage HP, nothing on the market sounds like these and that's a good thing 
L3000.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,041 of 1,737

O2 on low gain at 12 o clock is way louder than I can stand with my sextetts. The idea that it doesn't have enough power is kinda weird.

Joachim

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,042 of 1,737
I'll have to try it again. I seem to remember that it wasn't that good of an experience. Perhaps I was looking for more voltage gain and subsequent oomph.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,043 of 1,737
So I got my Vali today (finally!) and the Sextetts were the ones to break its plug virginity.

I have to say, I was getting quite frustrated with these headphones when using my Bravo V2 amp, they sounded hollow and narrow and screetchy and overall gross. I was ready to give up.

I am listening now using the Vali, and wow. They're like a completely different headphone. Easily now the best in my set, beating my K612 Pro & K551. I'll put some more detailed impressions up if anyone is interested.

One thing to note: they do still feel like they could use a little more oomph, but I'm happy as I am right now.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,046 of 1,737
I just bought a pair of K240 Sextett's, got a pretty good price and they look like they are in good condition by the pictures. They seem to be either mid-production or late-production. I've been wanting to try the Sextett for so long, just didn't bother in the past as I didn't have an amp that could drive a 600 ohm headphone.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,048 of 1,737
  I just bought a pair of K240 Sextett's, got a pretty good price and they look like they are in good condition by the pictures. They seem to be either mid-production or late-production. I've been wanting to try the Sextett for so long, just didn't bother in the past as I didn't have an amp that could drive a 600 ohm headphone.

An old receiver will work just fine pre-1985.  Buy it cheap off eBay or better yet a Garage sale or Craigslist.

Power to the HP out is the key.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,049 of 1,737

An old receiver will work just fine pre-1985.  Buy it cheap off eBay or better yet a Garage sale or Craigslist.

Power to the HP out is the key.

I have a powerful enough amp now, the Lyr 2, I'm not really worried about the amp except possible synergy issues.

Let us know what you think once you have them.

Will do. How do you think of them compared to the HD 600? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back