AKG K240 MKII headphones (55ohm)
Jul 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Just my little opinion on these headphones.

I use them on the lap top when I'm using spotify. They lack big detail, but they are very smooth and warm sounding headphones. Very nice easy going headphones.

On the left, it says made in Austria. I thought these are now made in China?

Regards.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 22
Hi,

great little headphones. I own a pair and love them. You are not exploiting them to their full potential straight out of the laptop though. I found these more sensitive to source then my Dt880 600ohm. From my laptop they sounded rather muffled. I now use them out of an iBasso D2+ boa amp/dac and they're noticeably better. Out of a Little Dot Mkiii, I found them absolutely brilliant.

These headphones are now being made in China. Actually, this has been the case since 2009 If I'm not wrong.

So you, like me, are the lucky owner of one of the last made in Austria pairs. I had both (China/Austria) for some time and I found they differed both in sound and especially in build quality.

Best,

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
Can I connect the little dot to my laptop?

You can with a 3.5mm jack that splits into two RCA connections. But I do not recommend doing this. Even if the laptop's jack is kind of quiet, you will still hear a bunch of background noise and stuff on the little dot if you plug it into it with the volume up. Get an inexpensive but good external DAC that does USB if you need to listen from the laptop and want to amplify with something like a little dot. Check out this this one (also, used one for $100 in the source for sale forum).

Very best,

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 22
I think the K240 Studios/Mk II are the most underrated headphones here on Head Fi. 
smile_phones.gif

I like them more than all of the AKG K501, K601, K701/702, Q701.  None of those have the balance for me that the K240 does.

I have a made in China Mk II, and a pair of Studios from Austria.  I was surprised how similar they sound actually.  Not much difference in build quality either, all cheap plastic.  I really wish they'd make a more expensive version of these, just more refined sound.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
I have a made in China Mk II, and a pair of Studios from Austria.  I was surprised how similar they sound actually.  Not much difference in build quality either, all cheap plastic.  I really wish they'd make a more expensive version of these, just more refined sound.

To each their own I guess. Mine (compared side by side) sounded different to my ears. The driver membranes had inaccuracies in the chinese version (there are pictures around the net confirming this, should I find the link I'll post it here). It might also be that  QC for the initial batches of Chinese-made 240  was somehow looser. Maybe it's perfectly fine now. Or maybe I had a bad Chinese sample. In any case, enjoy!

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
OK, just purchased an hrt music streamer ii. I have an old MF X-CAN V2 headphone amp that I can use for the time being.

The MF XCAN should be perfectly fine. It has a cult following on the UK "rockgrotto" boards - people there claim it's much better than whatever MF did after (V3, V8 and the new one, can't remember its name). It should be a great combination!

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Quote:

To each their own I guess. Mine (compared side by side) sounded different to my ears. The driver membranes had inaccuracies in the chinese version (there are pictures around the net confirming this, should I find the link I'll post it here). It might also be that  QC for the initial batches of Chinese-made 240  was somehow looser. Maybe it's perfectly fine now. Or maybe I had a bad Chinese sample. In any case, enjoy!

QC is what I was thinking too.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 22
Does anybody know if the "home use" ones are also made in china? I'm talking about the cream colored ones... The non studio versions.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 22
Been using the HRT for a few hours now. I notice the sound has better detail and separation. I used to use the AKGs just on the laptop. Now using the AKGs with the MF X-CAN & HRT, I don't find the sound very muffled anymore.

The AKG K240 MKII headphones have a very soft nature in my opinion. But still, they are very nice easy going headphones.

I do have some Senn H600 & Grado SR80 headphones too. Sadly the Senn are away having a repair. Will try it when it returns.

Soon, I might start saving up for that little dot, or maybe a Heed CanAmp?

009-2.jpg

008-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back