AKG K240 MKII Classical Music???
Nov 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
AKG K240MKII headphones and I'm thinking of buying them. I primarily listen to classical music so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these headphones are good for classical music and why???

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 64
These have a lower mid ranger/upper bass emphasis with mild treble and not much of any clear sub-bass extension.  

I liked them for viola, cello, vocalists, etc. but they sounded easily overwhelmed/crowded by large orchestral pieces. I don't know what your budget is but the higher end K 702 keeps the energetic midrange and adds a sense of "space" with far superior extension and clarity.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 64
The AKG k702 is way out of my budget. So is the AKG K240 MKII bad for classical music? Cause it is the best pair I can order, so what should I do? I currently own the klipsch s3, will I notice a significant better performance with the AKG K240 MKII?

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 64
Yes, it's good, but check into the cheaper K240 Studio first. You can find a pair for under $100 easily. It just doesn't include extra pads and cables.
The K240 is darker than the K601, K702, but still good enough for classical. It's soundstage isn't that large though.

Just as a note, it needs an external amp based on my experience. It doesn't get loud enough from any of my portable devices.

Another alternative is the KRK KNS-8400.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 64
Quote:
These have a lower mid ranger/upper bass emphasis with mild treble and not much of any clear sub-bass extension.  

I liked them for viola, cello, vocalists, etc. but they sounded easily overwhelmed/crowded by large orchestral pieces. I don't know what your budget is but the higher end K 702 keeps the energetic midrange and adds a sense of "space" with far superior extension and clarity.

Agreed. I love my K240, but the soundstage feels slightly small. Maybe it was my recordings though. Hmm.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 64
I'm a college student who has a roommate in a fairly small room. If the headphones leak I'll probably listen when my roommate isn't there, so mostly quiet. So do you think I would still need them for classical music?

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 64
Quote:
The AKG k702 is way out of my budget. So is the AKG K240 MKII bad for classical music?

The K-240MKII are about 80% of the 702s sound stage, I've try the 240s on the Phonitor and they sounds great for acoustic and classic music, the 702s have more sub bass, as well for the 702s to sounds best you'll need some investment.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 64
Quote:
Is there anything I can do to improve the sound quality for classical music with these headphones on my laptop?

Heya,

AKG K271 MKII or K272 HD with a Fiio E10 (USB DAC/AMP) would be a very nice setup for a quiet room classical listening station with minimal leaking of audio both ways, comfort (both have velour pads; and are light weight). The Fiio E10 would give you advantages over the internal workings of the laptop so that you can remove noise/interference from moving parts (hard drives, cd drives whirling, etc) and add a little current to your headphone via the amplifier to perhaps help with sound staging by increasing speed (maybe) of the driver.

Other headphones perhaps to consider:

Brainwavz HM5
Shure SRH840
AudioTechnica A700X

Very best,

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 64
My ears are ringing a lot right now, so I am having trouble hearing exact differences between amped/unamped. I can't tell if its tinnitus or earwax... and I'm young for this forums's standards! 
confused_face_2.gif

For sure the amp offers more control over the precise volume of the K240 (for low volume listeners) - I found that its a pain to control the volume on my unamped K240 because it never hits the right spot. I blasted my ears because I forgot to turn down the volume after unplugging them from my amp... ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back