AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #257 of 1,489
If build is an issue on these, maybe that's another reason to spring for the modular, more padded, more advanced, aluminum build K267 model?

I'm keeping my order on them at least. The only plastic headphones I've ever trusted have been the M50's and the TMA-1's, by Audio Technica and AIAIAI respectively.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #259 of 1,489
It hasn't even been one month, why wouldn't you be able to just get it replaced and be careful next time around.

The K618, which uses the same design and on youtube was said to be made of "hollow and thin plastic, thus prone to cracking" has held up fine for me. I'm sure these aren't as fragile like a , m100 :cool:

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #260 of 1,489
Quote:
I'm sure these aren't as fragile like a , m100
cool.gif

wink.gif

EDIT: I'm happy to report that after some serious burn-in, they're no longer just a reasonably bassy phone, but a bass-heavy phone. This phenomena has never happened to me before with burn-in. Bass AND volume. They're louder too. They have now the same quantity of bass of my old Xears TD100 that I got right here (and some of you know how bassy Xears IEMs are). But much tighter and detailed. My burn-in method consists in playing extremely bassy music at the loudest volumes possible, without distorting (even because if distortion occurs, you end up hurting/damaging the drivers).

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #261 of 1,489
Quote:
If build is an issue on these, maybe that's another reason to spring for the modular, more padded, more advanced, aluminum build K267 model?
I'm keeping my order on them at least. The only plastic headphones I've ever trusted have been the M50's and the TMA-1's, by Audio Technica and AIAIAI respectively.

Yeah, maybe paying extra for the K267 might be a better idea, but I don't care for the switch and I like how the K167 sounds already.  However I didn't pay MSRP for these (-$20 less), so I'm not gonna worry about it.  I don't like to baby my stuff.  If it can take my punishment, then it is a well built product.
This headphone gets one point off on build quality.  But the sound quality still gets five stars.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #262 of 1,489
so, finally my K167's arrived today!

first impressions (although these might have been already discussed here in this thread):

built quality:

> since there's nearly not a single piece of metal processed in these phones i thought they would be lighter...ok, they're still not heavy at all but according to some other opinions on these cans i was biased.
> touch and feel are ok though. the high quality plastics used for the K167 kinda reflects the price....a bit^^ (190€ would be a better original price for them IMO...but just because of the built quality and my first impressions)
> so far i couldn't find a flaw in the workmanship
> the packaging was indeed a bit cheap looking for the 230€ i've paid^^
> the standard length of the coiled cable is ok, but as mentioned before, a coiled cable always adds weight...which makes portable use a bit uncomfy.
> the clamp force is just right to give a very good isolation! but a bit more and it were too much IMO. so, their comfort is really good but not "incredible".

now to the sound quality (4hours "burn-in" only, so this is a pretty preliminary opinion):

> wth, out of the box i could really understand miow's fascination for the K167. initially they perform as they could be incredibly nice analytical headphones with a slight emphasis on more bass. and this bass can be sooo deep and clear...even with increased volumes.
> a big smile flashed over my face as i listened to Submotion Orchestra's "Thinking"! this track combines the previously stated strength of these cans perfectly. deep bass, clear vocals and some contemporary jazz elements paired in an electronica setup. just awesome for the first day. also the next track on this longplayer "snow" gave me goosebumps! and this all compared to my M-80ies which are also really nice headphones as you all know but i always didn't feel at home with them...at least i know now that with the K167 i'm really close to what i initially wanted to have with the M-80. short, the K167 deliveres...from the first second on...and i hope this experience gets even better when they have some hundered hours of playtime on them.
> [edit] some early words on the soundstage: definitely wider than with the M-80 and the Aurvana Live!....but i have to listen more/longer...

...there's more to come, i'll keep you updated if i find out more.

so far i am really happy with the purchase....thinkin of selling my M80ies.

p.s.: i will compare more different music genres with the M-80 and also with one of my favourite "bang for the buck" phones, the Aurvana Live!

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #263 of 1,489
Thanks for the impressions, droid, I'm glad you loved them as much as I did, I will add your post with first impressions to the OP, ok? :)

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #265 of 1,489
Done :)

Hey, and you brought something interesting into the table: M-80's. I knew these would be competition for the M-100s, not M-80's
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #266 of 1,489
wish i had the M-100 here for comparisons, too since they're circumaural as the K167. at least the M-80 and the K167 share the same driver size of 40mm :D

right now i'm listening to Submotion Orchestra's new album with the Aurvana Live! again: the Creative Aurvana sound definitely darker and they are a bit louder...but that might also have something to do with the more prominent bass (which is clearly not as precise as the bass of the K167!), the more narrow soundstage and of course they have hundereds of hours on them. the treble of the Aurvana's is also nothing compared to the 167's. they sound quite "dirty" directly compared (anyhow, still ok for 50€ headphones :wink: )
but hey, you won't regret paying four times as much for the K167 at all.

the trumpets and soundeffects on the Submotion longplayer are resolved in an incredible, natural way on the 167....and when the bass kicks in i always have to smile.
(i momentarily use my pc with an asus xonar essence soundcard and playing flac files or wavpack of my audio-cd's)

edit: just listened tothe following songs for bass comparisons with the Aurvana's:
"Yppah - D.Song"
"GusGus - Deep Inside"
"Swarms - Roulette"
"Noisia - Split the Atom"

conclusion: the bass on the Aurvana's is just kinda bloated. way too much, i could not really enjoy these tracks. only in really quiet surroundings where you can listen on low volume to the Aurvana's its "ok" (also because the isolation for closed cans is "poor" in the Aurvana's). so for bass heavy music where you still want to have a very good level of mids and highs, just go with the 167. I know, that the Aurvana's can shine with rock music...especially prog. rock or post-rock (e.g. Russian Circles, Hammock, Caspian, etc.)...going to put on some of these albums soon on the Tiesto's.

please take the time and listen to the tracks mentioned above (if you are into electronic music of course)..and also on the new Submotion Orchestra - Fragments album as a whole! this will get your endorphins goin' ...i promise :wink:

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #268 of 1,489
Quote:
Crap. I was dead set on getting the M100s... And now these. I think I'll just wait until sometime next year, when a verdict comes out on the K267s.

If you want to save serious money, you won't go wrong with these. SQ is fantastic. If you have the patience and the cash to wait till next year, it's maybe a wise decision to wait for K267's veredict as those potential buyers have the M-100's.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #269 of 1,489
Quote:
Well everyone, I found the weakspot.  The same spot for almost every headphone.  If you stretch the headband too wide while putting them on/off the angle part right there hits the bottom part.  In enough time (here less than a week), it will crack.  The hinge is still intact and that outer cosmetic piece just needs to be replaced I think.
The left side started creaking all of a sudden when I took them on and off, and I was like What is that?  Then I noticed that..  So much for stronger polymer plastic.
I already know this could have been prevented if the parts weren't so sharp and had a little more gap.  It you want to prevent this from happening, you could take the hinge apart and sand that bottom area slightly so that there is a small gap between the two pieces.  Or if you don't want to take them apart, just get some sand paper and move the bottom piece out of the way so you can sand the top piece.

Ok, so build quality and quality check is an issue here, like my problem:

K518 have more sturdy plastic compared to this.
Hello AKG, what happened?

Yeah, maybe paying extra for the K267 might be a better idea, but I don't care for the switch and I like how the K167 sounds already.  However I didn't pay MSRP for these (-$20 less), so I'm not gonna worry about it.  I don't like to baby my stuff.  If it can take my punishment, then it is a well built product.
This headphone gets one point off on build quality.  But the sound quality still gets five stars.

Dont make excuse, @K167 price it should built better than this.
Should call AKG. their cans usually very sturdy compared to sennheiser

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #270 of 1,489
Quote:

If you want to save serious money, you won't go wrong with these. SQ is fantastic. If you have the patience and the cash to wait till next year, it's maybe a wise decision to wait for K267's veredict as those potential buyers have the M-100's.

The thing is I pretty much need detachable cables, and if I am going to get new headphones now, I want a pair that I wont want to upgrade for a long time. The K267s are also made of aluminum so that is another plus. I can wait as I don't exactly need headphones right now.

I pretty much am trying to find the best basshead can under $300... And there are so many enticing options. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back