AKG K141 Review and Appreciation Thread
Nov 3, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 33
Yeah they weren't designed supra-aural because they were meant to be portable.  They were designed that way for sonic reasons because the original drivers they used in the headphone couldn't produce proper bass in a circum-aural design (The Sextett used passive radiators to make it work).  They were designed to be studio phones.  They have new drivers now, but it's just an evolution from the original design and I bet the new ones aren't any better, but probably easier to drive from your ipod or portable amp. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 33
Thought I would take the jump leads to this thread as I recently got the K141 mkII's after reading the glowing review here by donunus.  I was looking for the energy of Grado but with a smoother presentation.  These are now my favourite headphones to date.  Though not the most detailed cans in this price range I find they just have a really nice sound signature for music listening.  The midrange is especially fine.  The fact that this appreciation thread seemed to have died a death is testament to unpopularity of these phones.  It is a shame they are often overlooked.  Having both these and the 240 studio I actually find these to be far better for music.  The 240's just seem a bit flat to me. 
    My enthusiasm for these headphones has made me purchase a pair of nos silver sextett driver K141s online. (though new to posting here I've been lurking for a while and my bank account has already suffered considerably!)  I don't have them yet so unsure of their condition but I shall post my uneducated findings/comparisons for anyone who is interested.  My amp is an E9 so maybe not the most powerful for 600 ohm headphones but I'm hoping it will suffice. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #18 of 33

They really are underappreciated.
The treble section is equal to / better than my Hifiman HE-300. The mids are about equal, with the HE-300 having more body and the K 141 being more analytical. But the bass is really lacking. Sub bass, mid-bass, upper bass, impact, rumble.. it doesn't make music enjoyable.
And it's a $100 difference between them. AKG really makes great products for low prices.

Quote:
Thought I would take the jump leads to this thread as I recently got the K141 mkII's after reading the glowing review here by donunus.  I was looking for the energy of Grado but with a smoother presentation.  These are now my favourite headphones to date.  Though not the most detailed cans in this price range I find they just have a really nice sound signature for music listening.  The midrange is especially fine.  The fact that this appreciation thread seemed to have died a death is testament to unpopularity of these phones.  It is a shame they are often overlooked.  Having both these and the 240 studio I actually find these to be far better for music.  The 240's just seem a bit flat to me. 
    My enthusiasm for these headphones has made me purchase a pair of nos silver sextett driver K141s online. (though new to posting here I've been lurking for a while and my bank account has already suffered considerably!)  I don't have them yet so unsure of their condition but I shall post my uneducated findings/comparisons for anyone who is interested.  My amp is an E9 so maybe not the most powerful for 600 ohm headphones but I'm hoping it will suffice. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #19 of 33
Got myself a silver Vintage AKG K141 Monitor. It is a ridiculous 600 ohm can that is being driven by my Fiio E9 and sounds quite marvelous... very good for what I paid for a BRAND NEW vintage k141 Monitor. Still in burn in process

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #20 of 33
How do these compare to PX100-ii's?

I know they are different leagues but the Senn's were my first foray into decent headphones and I love their signature. However I now find myself wanting a bigger sound and a bit more oomph while retaining a smooth & laid back signature.  I also found myself craving for a bit more isolation than the Senn's offered so I am guessing the AKG's provide this.

Would the K141's be a suitable upgrade?

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #21 of 33
Not much isolation on the AKG and they are much harder to drive vs the px100-II. Their sound is different from the senns. The K141mkII sound cleaner but won't necessarily have more oomph.

If you want the same sound signature as the PX but upgraded in every way, try the hd650. Be prepared to get a good amp for them too. They don't isolate though. For a closed headphone with a good smooth and neutral sound sig I suggest you get the Beyer DT250. Choose the impedance depending on what source/amp you are going to be using them with. I find the dt250 to be everything the k141mkII is and more.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 33
i had to sign up to spread my love for these. two years ago I lurked for 141 info here and there wasn't much.

I LOVE them, especially the midrange. they're a little wooly around 100-125, but I can deal with that. or could, until the mini xlr developed some shorts.

I bought a pair of k240 mkii hoping for a really close sound to 141 mkii but more comfort. god was I wrong. the 240 don't have the same excellent midrange that the 141 do. they feel scooped and lacking kick drum punch.

I'll be looking for an old 600ohm version while I try to repair my mkii.

i just wish they didn't make me look like a flight control operator when wearing them.

strange looks in public...

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #23 of 33
Take it like a man (or a woman of course) !!!
smile.gif

Also, you could do a lot worse. When I had to evaluate recordings of one of my bands, I took my K271 Studio onto the train. They make you look like an alien
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #24 of 33
absolutely. I bought a pair of k240 mkii (65.00$ brand new!) because I wanted circumaural. they're even crazier. I do prefer the midrange of the 141s, however. but damn are the 240s comfy.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #25 of 33
That's a pretty good price for a new unit - often well-used ones go for that amount. I have a K141 Studio to fix up, somewhere a connection has gone bad. If I like them after the repair, I might keep them …
smile.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 33
k141 MKII are in my opinion one of best headphones in the range of around $100.
For longer listening I love their velour pads, as they are very comfortable to wear and I think that they make sound a slightly more lush.
Anyway, great product, highly undervelued, as you can get them on ebay even for less than $100 which is a steal.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #27 of 33
The K141 Studio I had here for repair turned out to be a very nice phone – and extremely comfortable, even with the stock pleather pads. For financial reasons I decided to sell it though :D

May 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #29 of 33
Hi all.

1st post.

JeckyllAndHyde:
You can use the same as the ones for the new AKG 141, difference is old model needs glue or double sided tape, new model has twist lock.

Had some K540 that really sucked, not bad sound, but horrible build quality!
But I modified the pads to fit on the silver 141's. The silver K141 with K540 pads now sound somehow more detailed than my gold 600 ohm K141 Monitor with velour pads. May have to switch cables on the Monitors to keep up. Hard to describe the difference between them, but gold monitor sounds flat and neutral, silver with K540 pads sound reasonably flat but full of life. They sound very alike, until you start listening for micro details. No complaints about the bass on either. But they need a lot of voltage.

May 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #30 of 33
The 141 silver ( vintage 600 ohm ) is a great can. I gifted it regrettably to a friend who is a top notch musician ( Shakhachi trained in Japan) and he is still really impressed with them. I did remove the old pads and remake exact profile new ones out of some really nice sheep leather that definitely helps, as well as made sure to check the inner foam.
 I keep wanting to hear them again so maybe I'll have to spring for another.

The 140 is no slouch either. I do like the 140/141 supra-aural aspect. And the look of the newer 142 i think it is, really nice. I do not allow myself to look at pictures or it will magically show up here.
Anyhow the vintage 141 are still on my mind I liked them that much FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back