AKG K141 - replacing earpads
Feb 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

OHPC

Head-Fier
Hi, guys, I don't know if this is the proper forum to post, but...

I need to replace my AKG K141 earpads, mine are "melting" after little use - I have the phones for more or less two years, and I mostly use them to play (digital) piano and mix my own recordings. They are now covered in a black, disgusting "gum", so I have to replace the earpads.
Some questions:
- How to replace them? Just take the old ones apart and put the new ones?
- Is it possible to use the new velour earpads of the K141 MKII? If yes, where can I buy a pair (with international shipping)?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 9
I only had old-style K141 (those with the silver cups), but I seem to remember that new K141 pads use a bayonet system: basically you lightly twist them, remove them from the baffle, then do the same process in reverse with the new ones. MKII pads should fit.

The older K141 models had glued pads.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if it would be possible to fit a K271 velour pad instead of the K141 pad in the phones?

Any idea, anyone?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Why would you want K271 pads on a pair of K141? I think they are different size, and they probably won't slide on the K141 frame. Best way to find out would be to go to a guitar center which stores AKG phones, and ask them to try a pair of pleather ones on your K141.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want K271 pads on a pair of K141? I think they are different size, and they probably won't slide on the K141 frame. Best way to find out would be to go to a guitar center which stores AKG phones, and ask them to try a pair of pleather ones on your K141.

Because they seem much better than the ones used on K141, in terms of quality. My K141 was bought 2 years ago, and the earpads are in terrible condition, with almost no use. So... If the K271 fit I think they would a nice candidate for replacement.
wink.gif
But I think they are different, K141 is supra-aural, K271 circum-aural, they probable won't fit - this is the reason I am asking. And finding a store which sells AKG where I live is an almost impossible mission.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the answers.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because they seem much better than the ones used on K141, in terms of quality. My K141 was bought 2 years ago, and the earpads are in terrible condition, with almost no use. So... If the K271 fit I think they would a nice candidate for replacement.
wink.gif
But I think they are different, K141 is supra-aural, K271 circum-aural, they probable won't fit - this is the reason I am asking. And finding a store which sells AKG where I live is an almost impossible mission.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the answers.
A few days late, but I just checked... The pleather pads (same size I assume) fit on the earcups in a loose, but fully contacted way... the full rim of the pad touches the outer edge of the earcup, but there is no lip to hold the pad in place... it sits better if you leave your old pads in place... without tape they will only really be held on by the pressure of your head and can be pulled right off effortlessly... tonally (with old pads in place) they open the soundstage up a little, but rob mids of some clarity and the headphones of overall warmth... cleaner sounding, but less suitable for analysis ... if you love it, it's a close enough fit that double stick tape, under the edge of the pad, would hold them in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back