AKG K141 MKII
post-8838200
Post #1 of 2

jiaemo

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
American Musical Supply is having a nice sale on these headphones this week.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with listening to metal music on them, particularly progressive metal and death metal.  I'm also wondering how they would be to track metal guitars, do rough mixes, and occasionally watch movies.  It seems kind of hard to get information about this particular model of AKGs for some reason.

I've heard they have similar characteristics to some of the Grado headphones but are generally considered to be far more comfortable and not quite as bright but still fairly bright.

I never realized what a difficult time I'd have picking out headphones, I've read more reviews and posts to make my head spin over the last week and still am tossing around a handful of models to consider.

As I stated before, I need something that's going to be good for listening to metal music, and occasionally watching some movies, but also be comfortable to wear up to 6 hours a day, which I've heard the Grado headphones can be extremely uncomfortable.

My other considerations are:
Grado 225i, Grado 80i, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone, Beyerdynamics DT770, Creative Aurvana, or maybe something from Sennheiser?, basically anything that is COMFORTABLE, and sounds great for metal music, including bands with a lot of instrumental work such as Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc.  I heard recommendations for the Grado but would like some other people to chime in if possible if they have any of these other headphones or other suggestions in the 100-200 dollar price range (if it could potentially drop around 200 or under on sale, that's fine too).  I'm seriously considering the K141 MKIIs since they are only $89 right now which seems like a good deal, but I'm not sure if their tonal characteristics are suitable for metal which is why I'm posting this and asking you guys for help.  Keep in mind, I'm upgrading from a Logitech G35, so I'm pretty sure most of these types of headphones would be a vast improvement.

-J.

post-8838336
Post #2 of 2

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
app.gitbook.com
If they're anything like the older K141 they should be quite comfortable, but they (like the Grado) are supra-aural, so they're not perfect for long listening sessions, but more comfy than Grados. If you small ears you probably won't find the Grado 225i (with bowl pads) to be THAT bad (I find my RS2i fairly comfortable, sometimes even more so than my k141 due to my small ears), but for metal I would put any Grado at the top of the list for the fast forward mids which makes guitars REALLY rock. You can't beat Grados for electric guitar tone and crunch (some orthos come very close, but it's never as perfect as a Grado).

Also I believe the new k141 has velour pads as opposed to pleather - this makes a big difference in bass response - velour has less bass, but it's still present and tight - pleather pads (I don't even know if they make them for the new K141) give a better seal around the ears and increases bass volume and slam: it doesn't become a bass monster but it can sound a little dark at times depending on the track, and may sometimes sound less defined, but never 'boomy'. 

I would avoid the M50 (bassy) and any Ultrasone (most are bass monsters) for metal. A lot of sennheisers have a very laid back sound and are supremely comfortable - if you love listening to music for hours at a time I would solidly recommend the HD598, but that (and similar models) while they sound excellent and have good value for money, they don't have the same 'excitement' of a Grado. This is of course subjective and is something everyone on headfi would recommend you find out for yourself by auditioning headphones before buying. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)