AKG K1000 and THE WAVE AV-8
Aug 8, 2001 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

holderlin

New Head-Fier
I asked at Headwize about the compatibility of these two and was told that they're not. I can't get back to the explanation so I'm wondering if anyone here either knows or remembers why these won't work together.

Aug 8, 2001 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 20
The Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8s are tubed monoblock power amplifiers. You would need a pre-amplifier with these to be able to use your AKG K1000 with them. Aside from that, I should think it would work, though. I'll look into it further and get back to you today.

Aug 8, 2001 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 20
I don't think a preamp is needed, unless need to switch between inputs.

Actually, i'm not sure if the AV8s have volume controls...

I'd think that the only problem would be an impedence mismatch between the two....

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 20
Thomas, a pre-amp is what allows you to have volume controls. A power amp outputs a steady output, but a pre-amp outputs a variable-level signal to the power amp.

Note, though, that some DACs and sources can act as pre-amps.

Aug 9, 2001 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 20
Just stick a ganged pot at the input of the power amp. Crude, but clean. Can refine it later with a stepped one, but i think the mis-match must be more fundamental than this, asheadroom would have suggested the use of a pre-amp.

Aug 9, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 20
As I remember it, the AV-8 should not be used because, according to ASL, the amp was not designed to drive such a high load (120ohms). Using it for this purpose would affect the damping factor and probably distort the sound.

Aug 9, 2001 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 20
The AV8's are just a monoblock amp (I own a pair), and they don't sound too good without an active preamp to bump up the signal from the CD player.

You'd pay $200 for the AV8's, and the cheapest active preamp I know of is $149 (and that's in a kit version).

For less than 300 bucks you can get the MG Head from ASL, which has a "preamp" stage integrated into the unit. And it sounds good.

Aug 9, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 20
First, you need to add volume control to amps. Second, at it's full output w/ 3% distortion, you can only crank K1000 to a little over 70dB. I rest my case.

Jan has K1000 and special matching amp on sale for $850 (?). This is the way to go if you don't have K1000 yet.

Aug 9, 2001 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by templeboy
First, you need to add volume control to amps. Second, at it's full output w/ 3% distortion, you can only crank K1000 to a little over 70dB. I rest my case.

Jan has K1000 and special matching amp on sale for $850 (?). This is the way to go if you don't have K1000 yet.

Yes. I am waiting for my shipment to arrive from Jan. And in my insanity I'm already contemplating what the headphones might sound like through a tube amp as opposed to solid state equipment. I picked up the ART Di/O today, ordered a new cdp, and am contemplating a power conditioner/regulator/surge protector.

Can anybody tell me when this madness will end?!

Aug 10, 2001 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 20
Why didn't somebody tell me before I collected all of this stuff?

Oh well, no point in stopping now.

Holderlin, which CDP did you opt for? I need a better unit, and am trying to learn what is around right now. My first gen NAD is having troubles (after 15 years) and none of my changers sound all that great.

I know how you feel waiting on the stuff from Jan. I have gotten spoiled by 2nd day shipping, and the wait is killing me (or maybe just making me more insane...).

Later

Aug 10, 2001 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 20
Hmm, perhaps you're right, M. Videoshielded, care to comment?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2001 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 20
Sorry to be vague . . . I just meant to weigh in on the preamp issue, not the headphone/system matching issue. The MG Head is pretty good as a preamp for the AV8's, and it's comparatively cheap for a tube preamp. But, for dedicated preamp service, you can doubtlessly do better. Still and all, unmodified AV8's are not going to "change your life," regardless of the preamp used. But what do you want for $99 a channel?

Plus, I haven't done it yet, but I'm betting $35/channel worth of mods will turn these babies into a category-owner. 'Bout $50 worth of mods into my MG Head, and it's in a whole new class now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back