AKG K 701 - I am excited
Oct 7, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #106 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I think you are misunderstanding my reasoning for what I've said so far... let me explain:

hey....no worries. Everybody places different values on sound. 99% of the general population thinks that 99% of the headphones that we like in this forum are overpriced.

Oct 7, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #107 of 210
i seem to have accentally pre-ordered some 701's also... damn whats the world coming to
icon10.gif

my wallet hurts a lot, HF-1's on order & 701's on order
blink.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #109 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Considering that people dump hundreds, or thousands of dollars into headphones/amps/cables/sources/music collections, $500 for one set of 650's doesn't really seem outrageous.

High end headphones are LUXURY items, and by the definition of the word "luxury", you can't really say $500 headphones are outrageous.

Considering that some consider the HD650 the FINEST dynamic headphone right now...$500 is not outrageous.

I spent $50 on two steak dinners last week.

The 650's will give you 5-10-20 years of musical bliss. That's $50 per year over 10 years.

I spent $500 fixing my car the other day....$60/hour labour rate, now THAT'S outrageous.

You see, it's all how you look at it.

Exactly. Worth is all relative. To some $500 headphones is an outrageous some to others...not so much. I easily spend a few bills a weekend for a Friday/Saturday night on the town so the price of these cans that will stay with me for years seems like a bargain for sonic bliss.

Oct 7, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #110 of 210
Here is the dilemma, I have some HF-1's on the way, but what do I get next:

Channel Islands VHP-1

or

K601

?????

Oct 7, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #111 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Here is the dilemma, I have some HF-1's on the way, but what do I get next:

Channel Islands VHP-1

or

K601

?????

Wait for your HF-1 and decide then.

Oct 7, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #112 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Wait for your HF-1 and decide then.

Well ya, I won't be able to afford either for at least a couple months. I'll probably go with the amp though...since I don't have one yet. My SR-80's sound great without one.

Oct 7, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #113 of 210
Originally posted by flecom
i seem to have accentally pre-ordered some 701's also... damn whats the world coming to

Man, how can you pre-order these without any feedback or reviews whatsoever? And they don't even offer a discount or anything considering you're buying an unheard product!!! Believe me, I'm tempted!!! What was your breaking point?

Greg

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #115 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcogreg
Man, how can you pre-order these without any feedback or reviews whatsoever? And they don't even offer a discount or anything considering you're buying an unheard product!!! Believe me, I'm tempted!!! What was your breaking point?

Greg

Those reviews don't come about until after somebody has bought them though. There always has to be someone to test the uncharted waters so to speak. That aside, AKG is a highly regarded company on the whole for headphones, and the chances of their high end flagship headphones sucking is slim at best. Also add to that HeadRoom's return policy on the off chance that they do dissapoint for any given reason, and its a risk free purchase. If you've got the cash and are interested... why not?

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #116 of 210
I'm still hoping the white was some kind of pre-production/show model thing. $500 seems a bit much when I can get a set of Sennheiser HD600s from Headroom for less than $350. For those of you taking the plunge, I salute you (and eagerly await reviews)
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #117 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcogreg
Originally posted by flecom

Greg

10% off for contributing members, 30 day return policy...

Oct 8, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #118 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Cool, congrats on the new purchase. Did you get that set where Larry tried the new type of screening that uses acoustically transparent material instead of larger holes?

No - my K340s are modded with the larger holes. I wasn't aware that Larry was trying out a new mod - but I am not surprised. He's done amazing things for our community!

I am glad to see that Headroom is going to be selling the new AKG headphones. Hopefully their "coming soon" description will change to "they're here" pretty soon so that all of you who have accidently ordered them can tell the rest of us all about them.
biggrin.gif

Holly

Oct 8, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #119 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
I'm still hoping the white was some kind of pre-production/show model thing. $500 seems a bit much when I can get a set of Sennheiser HD600s from Headroom for less than $350. For those of you taking the plunge, I salute you (and eagerly await reviews)
biggrin.gif

Where did you get $500 from? They are $400 at Headroom...

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #120 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Where did you get $500 from? They are $400 at Headroom...

Perhaps he meant that in $CAD instead of $USD, and with overnight shipping and no contributor discount... Seems within a few bucks of what it would cost in that case.
wink.gif

[Edit: Noticed Canadian shipping from HeadRoom is $26 so with that factored in instead of the incorrect overnight, $500 CAD seems to be pretty much spot on... if that is indeed what he meant.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back