AKG K 271 with an Ipod
Feb 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

justinmonty

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I was wondering about the AKG 271/ 272 and how well it did with an ipod I do not have a portable amp just one for my desktop computer/tv. I am very interested in purchasing some however I'm getting mixed reviews on how well it does without in amp on something like an Ipod

Thanks

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 8
If you want them to sound ok with your ipod as source, you will have to turn the volume more than half. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 8
you should be just fine.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Amplification is not about volume 
deadhorse.gif
- it is about providing enough current/amperes to move the speaker with adequate force to match the sound signal/waveform.  The largest distance traveled by the speaker is in the bass (1/f), which is what drops off when a headphone does not have enough driving current.  K271 require gobs of current, and in my experience, they lose what little bass they have played out an ipod and portable amplifiers.

Check out Saint Panda's detailed review/comparison of 15 closed headphones, where K271 are among the ones with with the greatest ("manditory") need for amp.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/128983/15-closed-headphones-2-canalphones-and-a-discussion-on-frequency-graphs-reviews

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Shouldn't be a problem at all.  To me, the iPod and my desktop amp sound exactly the same with those headphones (unlike other headphones).  I didn't have a problem with getting them more then loud enough.  My iPod can drive them to a level that is to loud for most tracks, even in a moderately noisy area.  I guess it depends on your iPod, on how loud it can go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back