AKG K-1000 wiring question
Nov 30, 2002 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

squirt

500+ Head-Fier
I wanted to try out my K-1000s again after a long hiatus but i'm not sure anymore about the wiring arrangment to connect it to my integrated amp...So can someone let me know if this is the correct wiring? Or is it reverse?

Right Speaker connect:
Blue + / Red -

Left Speaker connect:
Black + / White -

Thanks

Nov 30, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by squirt
I wanted to try out my K-1000s again after a long hiatus but i'm not sure anymore about the wiring arrangment to connect it to my integrated amp...So can someone let me know if this is the correct wiring? Or is it reverse?

Right Speaker connect:
Blue + / Red -

Left Speaker connect:
Black + / White -

Thanks

According to my K1000 instructions the connections are as follows:
Right --- Red + Blue -

Left --- White + Black -

Nov 30, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 7
mikeg, thanks for the info...i couldn't find my instruction book so i wasn't sure anymore...i tried it both ways and guess what? they both sounded great...i have them back to the correct wiring now...

i'm realizing why i loved the K-1000 so much...its been many months since i last listened to them. i also have the sub running with them again...so sweet...

You've mentioned in the past there was no difference between the stock and Audio Art cable sound quality wise...is it still the same?

Nov 30, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 7
After all I've been through with these phones, I only trust one approach. Unscrew the back of the 4 pin plug on the headphone cable. Red is right positive, and white is left positive. You can see which pins they go to, and figure out the other end from there.

gerG

Nov 30, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks Greg i'll have to remember that trick...funny though i had them reversed for a while with good results...i guess since both sides were reversed meaning Right: Blue + / Red - and Left: Black + / White - they remained in phase so sounded fine? of course reversing only one side would sound bad i presume...

Nov 30, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi squirt. I don't remember which wires on the extension that the headset wires correspond to, which is why I always check.

I forgot to mention, once you unscrew the back of the connector there is a plastic clamp that must be slid back. No big deal to peek, then slide it back in. Mind the locator tab which sets the correct alignment.

I did have mine out of phase more than once, and it is not as obvious as I would have thought. Part of the problem probably rests in my out of phase brain, but it was not the sort of ghastly mess that comes out of speakers when they are out of phase. More subtle, like when only a tweeter is out of phase in a 3 way system. An experiment that I want to try is to add a phase switch to one channel and do an A/B comparison. If nothing else it will be another way to give myself a headache. Most fun things seem to do that these days.

gerG

Dec 1, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by squirt
mikeg, thanks for the info...i couldn't find my instruction book so i wasn't sure anymore...i tried it both ways and guess what? they both sounded great...i have them back to the correct wiring now...

i'm realizing why i loved the K-1000 so much...its been many months since i last listened to them. i also have the sub running with them again...so sweet...

You've mentioned in the past there was no difference between the stock and Audio Art cable sound quality wise...is it still the same?

Hi squirt - I haven't compared the cables lately, but I'll begin doing some interesting testing tonight. I've hooked two types of amps to my ASL Passive TIDT passive preamp, with the two cables of interest connected. The first type of amp consists of a pair of ASL Wave mono block amps, while the second type of amp is the much more expensive ASL AQ-1005DT. I connected the stock K1000 cable to the Waves, and the Stephan AudioArt cable to the AQ-1005DT. I'll do an A/B comparison of the sound from these parallel systems in order to see whether I wasted my money by buying the much more expensive amp. If there is a noticeable difference, I'll then see whether the cables contribute to the difference. In any case, by the time that I finish (but perhaps not tonight) I will know whether I hear any difference between the stock cable, and the Stefan cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back