AKG IP2 - Real or Fake?
Jun 13, 2009 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Judge Buff

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got a pair off of eBay from an HK vendor, and before all of y'all start telling me that they are fake for that reason alone, just bear with me being a noob for a minute. I know that being boxed with professional looking accoutrements doesn't mean much towards proving being genuine, but this one was. (Yeah, I know that pics would help here, probably.)

I'm just asking if any of you AKG addicts have any knowledge of these IEMs. I was actually expecting overpowering bass, but the overall presentation is very balanced with fairly warm bass and mids, but very bright and detailed highs without being harsh. Bass isn't as colored as any of my Sonys, though. They aren't as airy as PL30s, but they have a wonderful clarity. I have about 30 hours of break-in on them and they are very comfortable with biflange tips (not supplied).

What I'm trying to do is entice one of you real reviewers to actually review this upgraded 324. I am hoping for pics that I can compare this set to, but I'd take any review that I could get...

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 9
I haven't tried these (or the K324), but I believe the IP2 is the earphone that AKG packages with their wireless monitoring system. It would make sense, therefore, that the IP2 has a more balanced frequency response as opposed to the K324, which many reviews describe as being like a more refined/detailed CX300. I wonder if Sennheiser's IE4 is the same as/similar to this AKG, or more like the CX300.

Quote:

The AKG IP 2 in-ear headphones, originally packaged only with the IVM 4 wireless monitor system, is now available separately. The IP 2 offers total acoustic isolation that blocks out all ambient noise. To ensure perfect fit and comfort, the IP 2 comes with three different-sized sleeves that are easily interchangeable. The grey colored, dynamic, in-ear headphones have a frequency range of 12Hz to 23.5 kHz, maximum input power of 20 mW and rated impedance of 16 ohms.

AKG Revamps Headphone Line; IP 2

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Checked out reviews from Amazon and says that it sound better than they look!

I think Akustische und Kino-Geräte GmbH outsources its earphone and consumer headphone manufacturing to PRC.

btw i just won it for $13, new in box!!!

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 9
here's the specs

* Sensitivity: 121 dB SPL/V
* Frequency range: 12 - 23,500 Hz
* Rated impedance: 16 Ohms
* Max. input power: 20 mW
* Cable: 1.15 m / 3.8'
* Connector: 3.5 mm stereo jack
* Net weight (without cable): 3g (0.11oz.)

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think Akustische und Kino-Geräte GmbH outsources its earphone and consumer headphone manufacturing to PRC.

Mine were 10.50 NIB. Good phones... slightly lifeless compared to my S4s, but not bad for 10.50.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 9
Never heard about fake AKGs...

usually they aim for the mainstream makes (sencheiser etc.)

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard about fake AKGs...

usually they aim for the mainstream makes (sencheiser etc.)

Yeah, I don't think that these are fake, now. As this thread is kinda old, I've had these phones for a while. They match-up well to the few reviews out there. I don't think that they are $80 phones, as my S4s blow them away, but if you can get them for less than $30, they are okay...

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as I know. AKG's are made both in Austria and China and the same goes with others as well including Sennheiser who also outsources to China and Germany.

There is nothing wrong with the AKG's made in China infact to me they just as good as the ones made in Austria and to me AKG is AKG.

My AKG K450's that are made in China sound beter than some of my friends Sonys that are made in Japan.

May 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Just got a pair of those, they are really excellent earphones. Much, much better than Klipsch S4 (and than Ultimate Ears UE220vi, BTW). They come close to my Shure E5, actually (well, the Shure E5 is still much better than the AKG IP2 :wink:.

I think that those who say different have fake AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back