AKG IEM supplied by Samsung Note 8 smartphone.
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Francisk

Headphoneus Supremus
I wonder if anybody have noticed that the recent Samsung Note 8 comes with a surprisingly good sounding AKG IEM. I'm not sure if they're hybrid or just a dynamic IEM but it sounds to me like a dynamic driver IEM but I may be wrong. Built quality is about average like other IEMs that comes supplied with phones but the cable is less microphonic than some. It's a very fun sounding IEM with a U shaped sound signature with good extension on both ends of the frequency spectrum. Mid is slightly recessed but remains clear. Low frequency extends down pretty well yet remaining tight and punchy without leaking to the mids. High frequency is pretty detailed but may sound slightly bright on some tracks but overall pretty smooth without any annoying treble sibilance. I might experiment with some foam tips and report back later. Please share your thoughts on this surprisingly good sounding IEM.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 11
They are dual drivers, 8mm & 11mm. They're actually available separately for $99. Haven't heard them, but I'm sure they're much better than the craptacular earbuds that come with the iPhone. Unlike Apple, it seems Samsung actually cares about music lovers.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 11
Are they the same ones that comes with the S8? If so, they are ok, not really good. Not much mids presence. I would rather listen to Tenore at the $40 price point than rediculous claims by Samsung that the iem is worth $99. Heck no.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 11
Are they the same ones that comes with the S8? If so, they are ok, not really good. Not much mids presence. I would rather listen to Tenore at the $40 price point than rediculous claims by Samsung that the iem is worth $99. Heck no.
I actually prefer the AKG IEM over the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore. The AKG definitely has a much better and tighter punch at the bottom end without muddying the mids and the high extension is better giving it a more airier sound. The soundstage of the AKG is also slightly wider too. The only thing that the Tenore does better is the mids area but not by far but of course that's solely my own personal experience.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Here is the measurement of it

AKG iem.jpg

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 11
I got a pair of the grey s8 ones and dude the tuning sounds real bad. The manufacturing and bulk packaging looks a bit too good for a fake, and the driver is full range and sounds ok-ish after my panicked EQing, but of course that doesn't mean fakeness is out of the question. If genuine though, I either stumbled upon a real bad pair, there is a mountain of gain from 1k to 5-6k (i'm talkin -10db to correct), making them sound the nasal-iest and harshest thing ever, and then the highs are really low, wayyyyy off any measurements I've seen of it. A review of them on here mentioned the shallow insertion depth causes this mismatch between measurements and real life experience of them and showed a graph of them measured shallow which is closer to what i experience (though many liked listening to them too, but if they sound like mine there is no way)

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back