AKG Hearo Wireless headphones
Dec 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

roofus

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my AKG Hearo 999 Audiosphere II Wireless headphones via UPS. I am listening to "The Essential Paul Simon" as I type. I am very, very impressed with these 'phones. The list price is $1200 US (YIKES!) but I picked them up for $449 from Eighth St. Music in NYC. Sorry I didn't buy the package that included 2 sets of phones for $649. I think the price is low because: 1) they are discontinued; and 2) they didn't sell that well because of the high cost.

The sound quality is excellent (probably not up to the standard of the best wired 'phone from Grado, Sennheiser (sorry I can't spell that name!), or AKG; but excellent none-the-less.

I will post a more detailed review later but for now:

Comfort=good (a bit heavy due to receiver, antenna, and batteries in headset)

Sound Quality= excellent (not as good as the best wired ones but we're wireless here!)

Versatility is first class: they accept analogue or digital signals via coax digital, optical digital, headphone jack analogue (2 sizes), or pre-out analogue.

There are all sorts of "tuning" options for the sound - most of which make very little difference to the sound. They are just confusing n my view . . .

Battery life is too short but that's a common complaint in eveything from cars to vibrators!

More details to follow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by roofus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Battery life is too short but that's a common complaint in eveything from cars to vibrators!

Uhhhhh...
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I was always interested in this kit. I'm anxious to hear any other impressions.

Y Yo tambien.

Dec 3, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 17
I have a Hearo II. Don't use the wireless phones that were included. It has an RCA Audio Out. Selecting a Good Amp with wired phones. Achieves a much more satisfying result. The Audio quality of the wireless phone is just O.K. They are heavy. And need better foam cup. Your ear rests on thr driver housing. But don't require line of site. Not I/R. But F.M. transmission. A good advantage.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 17
I thought they were DIGITAL and not FM
confused.gif

My have DIGITAL transmission, just great
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Hearo II. Not I/R. But F.M. transmission. A good advantage.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 17
To those with experiece of watching/listening to movies wih the Hearo:
What about dialogue?
Is it made clearer?
In the way listening to a movie with a stereo headphone adds clarity to dialogue.
Or does dialogue become harder to pick out, surrounded as it is by the more
resonant reverberance of the multi-chanel presentation?
Whch was my experience while trying out a Sony surround-sound headphone system.

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 17
Roofus,

Thanks for the tip; this is my first post and I found this site from A/V Forums. I am a new and first time HD/Surround sound purchaser but I reside in a quiet townhouse setting along with residents that act as "community police."

My system is a little overpowered for my living arrangements and I find myself having to turn down the system more often then I'd like because I am a sensitive to the quiet environment that our community shares Also, the prime listening position is very narrow due to the size of our listening area.

I've been looking for a quality set of "wireless" surround headphones and I've been scanning posts, here, for the last 24 hours and have settled on the Hearo 999's and actually ordered them from the same place that you did, with an extra set of "cans" as the veterans here call them... :)

I'd like to enjoy wireless surround as noise free as possible and still enjoy preety close to the surround realism that I enjoy with my speaker system at whatever level I prefer at the time...also for my girlfriend/lifepartner to enjoy at whatever level she prefers at the same time.

The Hearo 999's seem to be very well respected on this site and I do realize the I may be giving up a little sonic quality for the lack of a wire but then, again, I am now listening to most of my music from IPod's so I doubt that I will be disappointed by the sound quality of the 999's

Anyway, thanks for sharing so that I am now able to take advantage of the monetary saving that is obvious from the price of the package.

Thanks,
Raptorx

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 17
Glad you found my post helpful. I continue to enjoy them and I have found the sound quality to be excellent. Comfort is good too.

The only real weakness is battery life. The phones come with Sanyo batteries listed as AAA 1.2 volt 800 mAh. I replaced them with AAA 1.2v 1000mAh batteries from PowerX and I get much longer life. The man at the battery shop told me that you should charge them in a dedicated charger periodically to condition them . . . that however is a pain so I doubt I will do that on a regular basis.

I don't know if there are better batteries than these of not but apparently these are the batteries of choice for pro photographers who need a lot of flash power. Http://www.mahaenergy.com

Another nice feature is the versatility. The phone accept input from optical digital, coaxial digital, analogue (from the pre-out rca jacks) or analogue from the headphone jack (adaptor included for full size or mini)

Happy New Year to all!

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #14 of 17
I'd get those in a heart beat if it supported DTS as well.

Also, while it says it supports Dolby Digital, does it also support Dolby Headphone? I'd assume such, but find it odd that it doesn't specifically state that it does.

I have the Pioneer 800c infrared wireless setup. It supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Headphone. But the build quality is MUCH cheaper then the AKG HEARO... especially the easily broken headphones.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get those in a heart beat if it supported DTS as well.

Also, while it says it supports Dolby Digital, does it also support Dolby Headphone? I'd assume such, but find it odd that it doesn't specifically state that it does.

I have the Pioneer 800c infrared wireless setup. It supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Headphone. But the build quality is MUCH cheaper then the AKG HEARO... especially the easily broken headphones.

I believe it does, but the manual is not clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back