AKG Hearo Wireless headphones
Jul 26, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #16 of 17

caol ila

New Head-Fier
I go the HEARO 999 deal with 2 headphones for $649 back in Dec 2007. I get wonderful sound and have had no problems, beside having to replace the batteries in both headsets. They had been in stock for quite a while and the batteries were deteriorated with 45 minute runtime. The Radio Shack batteries I purchased have gone on for over 3.5 years now. The secret is to NOT get the ones with the highest milliamp hour rating; the lower milliamp hour batteries are more rugged and longer lived and have less capacity loss after charging then sitting a few days.

I have had no other issues since then. The transmitter base functions as an outboard DAC for my CD/DVD player and as a preamp in my modest home theater setup. The wired headphone amp drives my AKG K601 cans to perfection. Problem is it turns DT880 cans into borderline bass monsters, so I just use my K601 cans, and they sound VERY near to what the wireless cans sound like.

I dumped my uncomfortable Grado cans for the AKG cans, and I have no regrets. I now have lively and engaging sound without the fatigue the Grado cans always produced.....for pop/rock music. Classical and acoustic music usually gets served by my DT880 cans and the old Technics CD player at my computer station.

It must have been the price that turned folks off, as well as the fact that audiophile reviewers ignored the HEARO 999. The setup could do so many things and replace several pieces of more expensive gear in systems, that I believe the high end review system with its oversized and overpriced advertiser base were threatened by this type of high performance and very versatile gear. It's much more than a wireless headphone setup. Add a switchbox to the transmitter base, and it could replace my Conrad-Johnson preamp while adding outboard DAC and headphone amp functions beside the wireless headphone function. Magazine owners and editors were probably saying, "Best that folks don't know what all this can do....or sales of gear might go down....and so will our ad revenue."

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 17

optical10

New Head-Fier
I've had two failures on the charging socket on these mega headphones at £176 each time so i think its time to switch and hopefully find a set of wireless headphones that will work with the audiosphere 2 transmitter unit, any suggestions guys?

Users who are viewing this thread