AKG Headphones Questions
Oct 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

darknessproz

100+ Head-Fier
I have several questions related to the AKG line of headphones.

1) What is the primary difference between the AKG K701 and K702?

2) Are they comfortable?

3) What is their sound signature like?

4) How do they compare directly to the Ultimate Ear's Triple.Fi 10s?

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 8
1. Color and detachable cable. Drivers are the same.

2. Depends on your head size. I wear them several hours at a time with little discomfort. Some complain that the ribbed leather band makes their heads sore. Using them will eventually soften the pads and band.

3. Even presentation. No one area is emphasized though the mid hi range is slightly peaked. Very tight bass with no bloom, technically an accurate sound without much excitement. Soundstage is pushed out and leaves the music somewhat thin unless you turn it up.

4. Not heard your example.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:

2. Depends on your head size. I wear them several hours at a time with little discomfort. Some complain that the ribbed leather band makes their heads sore. Using them will eventually soften the pads and band.

3. Even presentation. No one area is emphasized though the mid hi range is slightly peaked. Very tight bass with no bloom, technically an accurate sound without much excitement. Soundstage is pushed out and leaves the music somewhat thin unless you turn it up.

1. x2
2. x2
3. x2
4. x2

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

Would you say that the K702's are overly analytical? How do they fare with poor quality recordings? Is an amp necessary, or can it run straight out of a clip+/iphone 4?

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Some claim them to be overly analytical but it is in the make up of your rig. They are a tool for recording. If you are listening to poor recordings, they will reveal it. An amp will be necessary to bring them into the audio world. They are notoriously hard to make sound musical. If you set up around them, they can sound very good. Those with a lot more experience have said that the K501 sounds better.

Before going down that path, try to get to a meet where others have made the journey. Benefit with their investment by listening to them and see if that is what you want. You may find you like something else. I know this is vague but until you have comparisons, you will be buying deaf.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 8
I'll definitely go down to jaben or somewhere to audition them before purchasing. Do you think a Audinst HUD mx1 would be enough to drive them to decent levels?

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Any amp will be better than a headphone out of a pdp. A receiver headphone out might be an alternative if you have one. I'm not familiar with the unit you mention.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I think the K701 is definitely a little on the picky side as to amplification. I've heard them sound pretty anemic with the wrong amp. OTOH, I've gotten good results with amps I didn't expect to work well, like certain OTL tube amps, etc. You really just have to try them and see if they suit your taste. Personally, I find them revealing, especially for recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back