AKG, AT, or Senn?
Feb 7, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Well, comfort isnt a problem. Grados just dont game well, because of the small soundstage. Also, I'm looking for closed headphones. Hm, looks like I'll end up ordering online and returning if I don't like them.

They don't game as well as, say the DT 770 or the A900, but they certainly do better than average consumer headphones. Sure, they are pretty open though.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 27
I own the SR-80 and K240S and used to own the A500. I prefer the K240S out of all of them, and then the SR-80s as far as sound goes. I didn't really like the A500. It had something weird about the sound that I just couldn't get used to, a sort of..."scooped out" sound. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I ended up selling it.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 27
Well, I'm going to order the K240s from TTVJ soon. If I don't like them, they go back and I get SR80s and flat/comfy pads from Audio Lab.

Thanks for helping guys... Now I gotta make a full year long budget plan to convince my parents that I have enough money.

Feb 8, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 27
The K240S was one of my first headphones as well, nice bass, though a bit flabby at times. Their midrange is great and they have a nice spacious sound. Not closed though. I hope you like them... if not, do a search for my comparison between them and the K271S to see if they sound more like what you are looking for.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r
I didn't really like the A500. It had something weird about the sound that I just couldn't get used to, a sort of..."scooped out" sound. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I ended up selling it.

Very similar to my experience. I kinda liked them, but that "scooped out", soulless sound just got to me so I sold them.

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
Very similar to my experience. I kinda liked them, but that "scooped out", soulless sound just got to me so I sold them.

Ditto, that is what I heard with the A900's as well... not my thing.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
The K240S was one of my first headphones as well, nice bass, though a bit flabby at times. Their midrange is great and they have a nice spacious sound. Not closed though. I hope you like them... if not, do a search for my comparison between them and the K271S to see if they sound more like what you are looking for.
wink.gif

Well, I don't have the money for the k271s right now, I can barely afford the k240s., which squeek in at just under 100 with shipping. Highschool student without a job, etc etc. Parents are being really whiny about the "Expensive 100 dollar headphones!?" too...

the k240s are "semi open" - will they block out the noise of a computer fan more than say, my portaPros do?

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
the k240s are "semi open" - will they block out the noise of a computer fan more than say, my portaPros do?

Probably a bit more since they are circumaural [around the ears]... I haven't found many semi open headphones that truely isolate though. It is more a terminology to describe the way the chambers are constructed. You will probably be fine if you are just worried about blocking out some semi loud computer fans... but don't expect to wear them on the subway and block out that kind of noise.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Probably a bit more since they are circumaural [around the ears]... I haven't found many semi open headphones that truely isolate though. It is more a terminology to describe the way the chambers are constructed. You will probably be fine if you are just worried about blocking out some semi loud computer fans... but don't expect to wear them on the subway and block out that kind of noise.
wink.gif

I'm not going to be wearing them on the subway anyway, I'd probably get some extremely strange looks. Looks like I may end up ordering both SR80s and k240s, and returning the pair I don't like. If I decide to go Grado though, I'll probably order MS1s, since its just an extra few dollars.

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #25 of 27
Went to guitar center to try out AKGs, but they didn't have them. Tried the HD280s, and wow, totally no bass. Do they need a powerfull amp or something?

Anyways, after reading up on the k240s it looks like they might not be what I'm looking for. Now I'm leaning towards the Grado MS1. Does the MS1 have the same sound signature of the SR80s, just more clarity, detail, and extension? And what about the Grado SR225?

So far I've ruled out AKG 240s, Sennheiser HD555 and HD280, and since people are telling me the AT 'phones have a scooped out sound I'm knocking those off of the list too. Looks like I'm in trouble. I'd go back to what I originally wanted, the Westone UM1, but I really want some full sized headphones. I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770 and Sennheiser HD580, but both of those need an amp to run at their full potential. What else is there in the 100-175 ish price range, that doesn't really need an amp?

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #26 of 27
I thought you already ordered the K240S', why not wait until they arrive and you hear them?
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #27 of 27
Nah, didn't order them.
frown.gif
Parents are being extremely annoying about purchasing expensive headphones. I need to find a store that has them in stock, but everyone is out. Seem to be very popular headphones here in Boston. Ah well.

Looks like I'm stuck with the portaPros for a bit longer, it's not that bad. I've also read some threads with people being very happy with the A900s, though the 700s don't seem to be as good. What I really need is a Boston Meet so I can try everything out.

edit, sorry for being so confusing in my previous post.

edit again, I'm still thinking MS1, k240s, or A900. Looks like my parents want me to hold on for a bit longer though, so I won't be buying any of these immedietly, sadly. Thanks for helping guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back