akg 701 + little dot mkIII ???? (EF-1)???
Dec 26, 2008 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
I have the akg 701 and currently use go-vibe v5s with 24volt elpac to drive out of modded x-fi. Ive been reading the forums and keep hearing that home amps are so much better, started to get the upgrade bug. also just got some yuin pk1s and they seem even more difficult to drive than akg are. the little dot looked pretty cool especially with the tube rolling capability but then i started seeing the debates about higher current demand of low impedance headphones. I never really had a problem driving akg to proper volume on govibe usaully never get past 10 o-clock on volume dial. would I be dissapointed with little dot? I am hoping to gain a little bass impact since theses phones are a little bass light. also hoping to gain a little soundstage and power with yuin pk1. Thanks in advance for your input.

(edit) now seriously considering head direct EF-!.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 31
I cannot recommend the LD MKIII for the 701s. It just didn't have enough grunt to drive them sufficiently. The 701s are extremely difficult to power... Perhaps a more powerful SS alternative would work better....

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 31
I have my suspicions on the lower priced Chinese amps. I've not been able to compare them to a higher priced amp because there aren't any Chinese amps around here.

I'm not against them for any other reason than the quality of parts. The price they sell at can only have the cheapest components. If the design is good, a modder could squeeze out better sound by upgrading components but by the time this is done, your in the same price range as other amp makers.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 31
what got me thinking tubes was the soundstage. it seems they have the best soundstage. I was thinking of the meier aretta, or at the more expensive end(i would have to sell something) the k.i.c.a.s. amp but neither one seem to get a very good score for soundstage. part of why i am hoping for more soundstage is to improve my pk1 and grado sr-125 maybe i am trying to achieve too much with one purchase. does anyone know if the darkvoice 336se would power 701? Ive also read a tiny bit about output transformers but am very confused about how to order them and have them built for this application. would like to know more about the transformer.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 31
I had 336i and K701 before and didn't like this combo at all. If you've decided on tube amp + K701, you should consider some transformer coupled ones like Woo 6, Trafomatic Head One or ASL MG Head DT.

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 31
i agree with 928gts, i tried to run akg 701 out of modded x-fi music card, and it certainly get LOUD but looses a lot of sparkle. I now run from x-fi to go-vibe v5 with 8610/8620 op-amp and 24volt elpac. I really like the way the 701s sound, the soundstage has width and depth, the highs seem better than anything else i have and midrange seems smooth and detailel, but i find the bass to be pretty pethatic. there is bass there it just never goes very deep and seem a little sloppy and uncontrolled. was hoping to get better more controlled bass. also really hoping to get a little better sound out of pk1 at home. i like the pk1 portably but would like a more 3D soundstage with maybe more detail. anyway starting to lean toward k.i.c.a.s amp or meier arrietta as all the feedback i seem to be getting about tubes is kinda frightening with akg 701. really want a noticible improvement over what i have now and want to spend less than $400. any suggestions?

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree with 928gts, i tried to run akg 701 out of modded x-fi music card, and it certainly get LOUD but looses a lot of sparkle. I now run from x-fi to go-vibe v5 with 8610/8620 op-amp and 24volt elpac. I really like the way the 701s sound, the soundstage has width and depth, the highs seem better than anything else i have and midrange seems smooth and detailel, but i find the bass to be pretty pethatic. there is bass there it just never goes very deep and seem a little sloppy and uncontrolled. was hoping to get better more controlled bass. also really hoping to get a little better sound out of pk1 at home. i like the pk1 portably but would like a more 3D soundstage with maybe more detail. anyway starting to lean toward k.i.c.a.s amp or meier arrietta as all the feedback i seem to be getting about tubes is kinda frightening with akg 701. really want a noticible improvement over what i have now and want to spend less than $400. any suggestions?

The 701's aren't really a bassy pair of cans,they're meant to give a rather accurate portrayal of the recording with little colouration. The uncontrolled bass is just your amp not driving it properly but don't think that by stepping up in the amp chain you'll find a newfound wealth of bass because the 701's are rather flat in nature.

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 31
99% of the problem you're having is the headphones you have.

If I was working for the CIA doing audio analysis of voice conversations picked up surreptitiously then 701's might be the tool of choice. But for music they suck ass through a straw.

There's so many other headphones out there that don't sound like 2 cans and a string. Do yourself a favor, sell the 701's, get something else...anything else, and then make a decision on what needs to be done.

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot recommend the LD MKIII for the 701s. It just didn't have enough grunt to drive them sufficiently. The 701s are extremely difficult to power... Perhaps a more powerful SS alternative would work better....

I agree especially after hearing the 701 powered by a M^3. A Woo Audio 6 will more than likely do the job nicely if you really want to stick with tubes.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 31
what about head direct ef-1? seems like with a ss output that might work. andyone tried this with akg 701? i just saw it on sale and itchen to buy but dont have enough info to make a decision.

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 31
I disagree with a couple of our head-fiers, I was about to sell off my K701's because I thought they were so neutral. I purchased a Darkvoice DV336i and now the K701's sound fantastic. All I know is they sound great together. Maybe it was the different tubes I put in?

David

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 31
I really like the akg 701 and its good to hear david say he likes them with darkvoice336i. I also pmd another headfier about thier experience with the head direct ef-1 and akg 701 and he gave it a big thumbs up. I am pretty excited about this. it seems the ef-1 can be modded all to hell as well with different tubes and op amps. anyone have any eperience with this combo?

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the akg 701 and its good to hear david say he likes them with darkvoice336i. I also pmd another headfier about thier experience with the head direct ef-1 and akg 701 and he gave it a big thumbs up. I am pretty excited about this. it seems the ef-1 can be modded all to hell as well with different tubes and op amps. anyone have any eperience with this combo?

A hybrid or a solid state amp is the way to go. EF-1 looks like a nice mate for your AKG's. Try a Mullard tube when you get your hands on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back