AKG 701 + Ipod 5 gen = too loud for my ear !! normal ??
post-7601572
Post #1 of 9

macmata

New Head-Fier
Reaction score

Hi first time on the forum. 

I'm using AKG 701 on my ipod 5 gen without any problem and actually it even too loud... From what I reed everywhere those big headphone usually need amp. Is it normal ? 

tks 

post-7601868
Post #2 of 9
Reaction score
The built in amplifier in the iPod can supply enough voltage to make it very loud but is it applying enough current to properly control the speakers, no. This is where external higher quality amplifiers excel.

post-7601923
Post #3 of 9

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

Quote:
The built in amplifier in the iPod can supply enough voltage to make it very loud but is it applying enough current to properly control the speakers, no. This is where external higher quality amplifiers excel.

Spot on, using K701 on Ipod5 unamped is a very very bad idea and with all due respect, kinda stupid...
. K70x is one of the most amp demanding head phones. Not because it's hard to make em loud, but hard to make em right. I wonder why would u have to use em on an IPOD since you can't really take em anywhere. The open design of K701 would allow everyone around you hear what you are hearing, clearly. In addition, the poor isolation would allow all kinda of noise around you come through the headphone, which really limits the potential of your enjoyment. Also the size of the headphone is very big....and with very long cable.... if you wanna portable around ear headphones,  there are plenty to choose from. If you wanna the best out of em( which in ur case not even remotely the K701 is so demanding that lesser amp won't even brought the bass out of em. I don't know if there is any portable amp to do em justice.  ) get urself a complete system. 

Reactions: Acix
post-7602081
Post #4 of 9

mikeaj

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Wait, are you implying that two different sources outputting the same voltage to the same headphones (thus same volume) will provide different total amounts of current?  I think I understand what you're trying to say, but please take another look at Ohm's Law or something similar.

Anyway, to answer the original question, this means that the internal amplifier in the iPod is capable of enough voltage to make it loud enough for you with the music you listen to, probably without clipping.  A different amplifier or source may just be able to drive the K701 more accurately, as in the output voltage waveform to the headphones may be closer to what's actually in the music file.  Lower-quality amplifiers and the DACs (digital-to-analog converters) behind them will distort the output (more) in various ways, given different loads and conditions.

Whether or not pursuing more expensive equipment to get a somewhat cleaner signal to the K701 is worth the additional cost and bulk/weight carrying around, is up to you.  Keep in mind that the headphones themselves distort some too, and they have significant frequency response variations and other oddities.

post-7602277
Post #5 of 9

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

Quote:
Wait, are you implying that two different sources outputting the same voltage to the same headphones (thus same volume) will provide different total amounts of current?  I think I understand what you're trying to say, but please take another look at Ohm's Law or something similar.

Anyway, to answer the original question, this means that the internal amplifier in the iPod is capable of enough voltage to make it loud enough for you with the music you listen to, probably without clipping.  A different amplifier or source may just be able to drive the K701 more accurately, as in the output voltage waveform to the headphones may be closer to what's actually in the music file.  Lower-quality amplifiers and the DACs (digital-to-analog converters) behind them will distort the output (more) in various ways, given different loads and conditions.

Whether or not pursuing more expensive equipment to get a somewhat cleaner signal to the K701 is worth the additional cost and bulk/weight carrying around, is up to you.  Keep in mind that the headphones themselves distort some too, and they have significant frequency response variations and other oddities.

Keep in mind that the low impendance HPS are relied on the current.  portable gear or OTL amp would have, somewhat, problems to provide enough current to drive such HPs instead of "some what" accurate voltage waveform

post-7602407
Post #6 of 9

Macius

New Head-Fier
Reaction score

Quote:
Keep in mind that the low impendance HPS are relied on the current it provides the portable gear or OTL amp would have some what problem to provide enough current to drive such HPs instead of "some what" accurate waveform

See kids? This is why we don't use google translate for communication.

post-7602427
Post #7 of 9

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

Quote:
Quote:
See kids? This is why we don't use google translate for communication.
lol it's late i've lost my mind : )
thanks for pointing out the problem 

post-7603323
Post #8 of 9

macmata

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thank you all  for your answer.

post-7627916
Post #9 of 9

droido256

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
wow really? Nothing I have can power them directly. I'd have to max out the volume to get something worth while, and even then, there just isnt enough oomph from the amp in the ipod, android, receiver, or computer to get the voice coils moving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)