AKG 701 frequency response plot?
Mar 1, 2006 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
Once upon a time I think I thought I saw an early HeadRoom plot for the AKG 701 posted by Jamey.

Problem is I can't find it. Anyone have a link to it, or one that someone has done? I'd really love to see one from gerG of the Senn 650 and AKG 701 on one plot.

Let me know.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it me or does the AKG 701 plot look a lot like the Beyer 990 plot? It should be pretty punchy sounding. The 10K peak is lower but wider. Anyone compared the two?

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it me or does the AKG 701 plot look a lot like the Beyer 990 plot? It should be pretty punchy sounding. The 10K peak is lower but wider. Anyone compared the two?

The 701 is a much cleaner sounding headphone than the 990. Plus, the 990's dont sound as refined; atleast to me.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 21
Ah so more of a difference in presentation and quality than overall energy levels.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 21
Well you've heard all 4 I guess sacd, which is your favourite rock headphone? Senn 600, Senn 650, Beyer 990, AKG 701? Also guessing not the 990
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 21
Solude, FYI, the K701 does not sound like what the FR graph suggests, it sounds more like the K601 graph.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Solude, FYI, the K701 does not sound like what the FR graph suggests, it sounds more like the K601 graph.

I agree. At first, I was worried about that bass hump, but the 701's sound very linear.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Well you've heard all 4 I guess sacd, which is your favourite rock headphone? Senn 600, Senn 650, Beyer 990, AKG 701? Also guessing not the 990
wink.gif

Right ... not the 990 ... although the recabled 990 mikey01 has sounds good. I dont like the 650. The 600 had ended up my favorite phone, so guess it would be my rock phone, even though it can sound a little polite for some rock. But now that the 701 is here I have to say I am almost sure I prefer the 701. Every other headphone has had a flaw that eventually distracts me to some degree. The 701 is so well balanced and seemingly flaw free I just want to listen to the 701.

People have been focusing on the major strengths of other headphones and comparing them to the 701; senn 650 bass, grado mids, sa5000 speed, k1000 soundstage. When you break down each individual trait like this and then do a best of comparison .... of course the 701's appear lacking. The bass isnt as good as .... the soundstage doesnt match the ....

But while the 701 doesnt do any one thing best it does them are very well. In fact, in most of these comparisons the 701 is near the top in each area. When you evaluate the 701 as a whole this headphone offers the whole package .... and thats what makes the 701 special .... the total presentation

I can see why people say this isnt an exciting headphone. On a short listen nothing stands out .... like say the senn 650's bass. But listen to them for a prolonged period and you soon understand how well this headphone performs.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
those graphs show them to be heavily rolled off. maybe the mic is not accurate cause both the 601 and 701 go down above 10k

Yes these measurements of the AKG 701 worried me from the second they appeared, but they really don't seem to match the gist of impressions most people have provided.

Pretty much everybody has said the 701's have a more neutral overall balance than the Senns 650s. Less bassy/warm and slightly more present upper registers without making it a bright headphone. That appreciation really does not match this response graph. This graph would suggest the 701 would probably be even bassier than the 650, and also rolled-off in the treble in comparison.

Moreover, a roll-off right after 10K is perfectly listenable and should be very obvious to pretty much everybody. Even older people with normal age-related hearing loss are capable of hearing usually up to at least 14 Khz. Yet noone has pointed out any lowered, missing, or significantly rolled off frequencies in the treble regions of the K701, even though in the graph it appears significantely rolled off, and relatively speaking, I think it appears lower than the 650's treble.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 21
What's the source for this graph? Headphone frequency response measurements are tricky to make and notoriously inconsistant. I think you need a reliable baseline comparison, and a thorough explanation of the methodology.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Right ...
But while the 701 doesnt do any one thing best it does them are very well. In fact, in most of these comparisons the 701 is near the top in each area. When you evaluate the 701 as a whole this headphone offers the whole package .... and thats what makes the 701 special .... the total presentation

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma, a weak ago
The K701s don't excel in any particular area.They just seem to be the second best in everything, without deficiencies sticking out.Being the second best in everything seems to be not very impressive, but in this case the whole is more than the sum of the parts, resulting in a headphone not easy to beat regardless of price.

Well, your english is better than mine, but across the cultural gap the sonic impressions are similar.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fmplautus
What's the source for this graph? Headphone frequency response measurements are tricky to make and notoriously inconsistant. I think you need a reliable baseline comparison, and a thorough explanation of the methodology.

Headroom made the measurements, and their measurements and methods are allegedly thumbed up even by several headphone manufacturers.

However I agree. I think another round of measurements of the K701 would be a good idea. And not just for the K701. To make sure we are comparing apples and apples, a round of measurements of the other main headphones should be taken during the same time, so that the same equipment, and people, and measuring techniques, and smoothing of measurements, and plotting methods are used.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back