AKG-601 & 240 w/ schiit magni
Nov 5, 2014 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rapoon

100+ Head-Fier
hoping someone with experience with either of these headphones paired with the magni can chime in.

my pc setup is as follows: LiTe DAC-AH (connected via toslink) and the schiit magni. when listening to the 601's it's painfully bright to the point my ears want to bleed. bass is non-existent. 
I plug them into my TEAC CD-H750 and they sound phenomenal.  i'm experiencing similar issues with the 240s.  i'm not a basshead, but when i'm listening to bass heavy tracks and
the bass amounts to nothing more than a minor thump, there's a problem.  i know neither of these headphones are known for being bass heavy.  i don't know if these headphones aren't
a good pair with the magni? i'm very frustrated, so i'm not entirely sure where i'm going with this.  i've never experienced anything like this; it's to the point this equipment is effectively
worthless with my current headphones.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 5
So if you plug the headphones into the TEAC CD-H750 and they sound great, why not just keep using the headphones with the TEAC CD-H750.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 5
The teac is my bedroom unit, where my primary components are (pc is in different room).  Othewise, that's a good suggestion.

After I made the initial post, I found an adapter for my brainwavz hm3's, plugged those in the magni and they sounded incredible (little overbearing on the bass, but that was expected). 
I guess those are my primary cans for the time being. 

I did find another thread (on a different forum) where a user was describing an identical issue w/ his 601's through a rotel (and oddly enough, sounded wonderful through a teac). 
*shrug* my guess is the 601's are very picky.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 5
  The Teac is my bedroom unit, where my primary components are (pc is in different room).  Otherwise, that's a good suggestion.
After I made the initial post, I found an adapter for my Brainwavz Hm3's, plugged those in the Magni and they sounded incredible (little overbearing on the bass, but that was expected). 
I guess those are my primary cans for the time being. 
I did find another thread (on a different forum) where a user was describing an identical issue w/ his 601's through a Rotel (and oddly enough, sounded wonderful through a Teac). 
*shrug* my guess is the 601's are very picky.

I'm guessing the 32-Ohm Brainwavz HM3 works off very little juice.
Where as the 120-Ohm AKG K601 wants a lot more voltage to make it perform.
But I would assume the Magni would have been up to the job?
Could the Magni be somewhat defective?

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 5

I'm guessing the 32-Ohm Brainwavz HM3 works off very little juice.
Where as the 120-Ohm AKG K601 wants a lot more voltage to make it perform.
But I would assume the Magni would have been up to the job?
Could the Magni be somewhat defective?

Yea, the magni should be enough for the 601's and more then enough for the 240's.

I sent schiit an email because now I'm thinking along those lines.  I've spent the last 3 hours swapping out cables,
testing all my headphones (iem's included) and with the exception of the brainwavz, all of them are absent of any bass.
I've never experienced issues with defective equipment so i was hesitant to jump to any conclusions.  Now I'm leaning
in that direction.  It's very bizarre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back