AKG 501 / Sennheiser 590
Jan 27, 2002 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

RemedyLane

New Head-Fier
I am going to buy a new set of cans. I can get the AKG 501 brand new for $150 at cost and the Sennheiser 590 brand new for $230 including shipping. I listen to rock mostly. I am going to use an integrated amplifier's heaphone outlet to power them. What would be the best choice? Thanks.

Jan 27, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 15
From those two, your best bet would be the HD590. The AKG's require a dedicated headphone-amp and aren't really rock headphones. Your integrated amp should be able to power the HD590 nicely.
Is your choice limited to those two? There's lots of other good headphones available at or under that price such as the Philips HP890 and some Beyerdynamics.

Jan 27, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

....the Sennheiser 590 brand new for $230 including shipping.

Just for your information, the Senns can be purchased for $170, including shipping, directly from Meier Audio, one of the sponsors of this site.
And welcome to Head-Fi, RemedyLane!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 15
I am not limited to those two cans, but I have always wanted either a Sennheiser or a AKG set of headphones. I don't like Philips as a brand. I am sure they are good, but I won't ever own a Philips product except for their TV's, which I like a lot. Call me strange, but I am sure there are other people out there that just dislikes a certain brand.
wink.gif
I am unfamiliar with BeyerDynamics, and I don't have a clue of where to get them. I am not very tempted to import the cans, because they would probably be very very expensive when they go trough the customs. Does anyone else have experience with the 590's and rock music?

wab: Do you own the 590's your self? If so, what kind of music do you listen to?

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 15
@joelongwood:

Thanks for your reply, but as I wrote in my post back there, I am not very keen on importing the cans. I believe it would be quite a deal to get it through the customs without having to pay lots and lots of extra charges to our lovely government.

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I am unfamiliar with BeyerDynamics, and I don't have a clue of where to get them. I am not very tempted to import the cans, because they would probably be very very expensive when they go trough the customs.

I don't have any idea where you are located, RemedyLane, but there is no customs duties on stuff coming into the USA. The price listed on Meier Audio's website is the price you pay......period. That site also has info on the Beyerdynamics line of headphones. If you want to know more about the 590, do a search and I'm sure you'll come up with a good deal of useful information. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

wab: Do you own the 590's your self? If so, what kind of music do you listen to?

I don't own them myself but I have compared them to other phones in a shop. I think they are pretty good (also for rock music) but a bit too expensive for what they deliver. They are the most comfortable phones I have tried tho.

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks, both of you. This is a place where the replies are fast.
wink.gif

@wab:

The comfort is an important thing. Glad you think they are very comfortable.

@joelongwood:

I am located in Norway. I don't know if you read the article about my country in Los Angeles Times. Here you can: http://www.visitnorway.com/en/articl...ticleID=381513

Here's a part that I kind of smiled when I read:

Quote:

...And although there is much muttering over high taxes, many Norwegians contend that they should be giving even more of their money to solve the rest of the world´s problems.

Back to my point: Importing things into this country can be a very expensive affair for a private person...
tongue.gif

So it would be a chance to take. That's why the $230 price tag is acceptable...

Jan 27, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 15
For rock, I would reccomend the Beyerdynamic DT250-80. I think that's more up your alley.

Jan 27, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 15
RemedyLane: I don't snakker Norsk
smily_headphones1.gif
, but for rock music I'd recommend to try the beyerdynamic DT531, DT990Pro (both are open designs) or maybe the closed DT250/250 (sounds much better to my ears than the 80-Ohm-version). As mentioned above, the Philips HP890 is a nice headphone with very good price/performance ratio, too - but the automatic headband is a little weak, so the earpads rest a little too heavily on top of my ears. Comfort-wise I like the DT531 and the DT250 best.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I just learned today that Tandberg is still producing hifi stuff - a pleasant surprise. Do you have any information whether the products are still as good as in former days, by chance?

Jan 27, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
For rock, I would reccomend the Beyerdynamic DT250-80. I think that's more up your alley.

From everything I've read and heard, I would agree with Neruda -- for rock, I would try the 250 before the 501 or 590.

Jan 28, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

It depends, do you listen to rock or metal?

Both. Lot's of different styles.

Quote:

I don't snakker Norsk

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Do you have any information whether the products are still as good as in former days, by chance?

Sorry, but I don't know anything about that....
frown.gif

Quote:

I'd recommend to try the beyerdynamic DT531, DT990Pro (both are open designs)

I surfed over at meier-audio, and the 990 looks really nice. What about the 931 then? The website says that it's very comfortable to wear. It's only $30 more there... (But then again, I don't feel like ordering outside the country...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back