AKG 501/701 purely for gaming
Sep 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Random-

New Head-Fier
Which would be the better choice purely from a gaming perspective. From what I have found, probably 501 because they have tighter bass. Also, from what I have found the 701s need an amp, and the 501s don't. Is this true for gaming also? Last, I read the thread about putting 701/601 pads on the 501s, again, for gaming would this be smarter? or would the bass be too overwhelming.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 48
What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

What type of gaming? Chess? Pinball? (my favorites)... lol.
Are you wanting headphones to do well with positional audio? Are you wanting headphones that will have great bass impact like for explosions? Is the gaming emphasis more to win or more for enjoyment?

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 48
/fellow gamer here/

the 501 have almost zero bass, i know from personal experience, even with a strong amp. the highs are very dry also. the 601 has more bass but still very little, tho the mids and highs are much superior. nice soundstage though. a gamer with a 701 could chime in on that headphone.

they all need strong amps. period.

what is your source and budget? also what kind of sound do you want? airy highs, in your face highs, boomy bass, tight bass, etc. for gaming i prefer in your face highs and slightly boomy bass that hits a very low note

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 48
Really an overkill here; you can get the AD700 at much lower price and it'll do mostly what K501/k701 would be good at for gaming (soundstaging and positioning) just as well, without the need of an amp at that (like 501/701 will).

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 601 has more bass but still very little

Posh. The bass is there, you're just used to exaggerated impact.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 48
Hopefully the OP isn't wanting powerful bass impact like for explosions. He'd be better off with closed headphones for that. Of course if playing chess or pinball, it really wouldn't matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really an overkill here; you can get the AD700 at much lower price and it'll do mostly what K501/k701 would be good at for gaming (soundstaging and positioning) just as well, without the need of an amp at that (like 501/701 will).

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 48
Right now I am using a Asus Xonar DX with ATH-700s, however they are broken which is why I am needing new cans. As far as sound, obviously I want something with a huge soundstage. As far as bass, very tight. They also have to have a lot of detail (duh). I loved the 700s but I was looking to step up maybe, however I don't have and amp and not needing one would be a plus. There is a loose budget of maybe 200ish, cheaper is good but I'm not afraid of putting in more if its going to give me a lot more.
The AD-700s are definitely a possibility, just looking for something different.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 48
Double posh. Maybe its bass depends on what it's plugged into.

Edit:
You know, explosions like in many violent video games today are quite loud and have a great deal of impact in real life. But you really wouldn't know that unless you've been around it, like dynamite, grenades, and such. Headphones without enough bass just don't do violent explosions justice. And so headphones seem to make us choose: sound stage and positional audio vs bigger and more real sounding explosions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posh. The bass is there, you're just used to exaggerated impact.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 48
If you want headphones for gaming with a huge sound stage for ~$200 and you won't use additional amplification, then you buy the AD700 and hope you don't have a problem with its fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I am using a Asus Xonar DX with ATH-700s, however they are broken which is why I am needing new cans. As far as sound, obviously I want something with a huge soundstage. As far as bass, very tight. They also have to have a lot of detail (duh). I loved the 700s but I was looking to step up maybe, however I don't have and amp and not needing one would be a plus. There is a loose budget of maybe 200ish, cheaper is good but I'm not afraid of putting in more if its going to give me a lot more.
The AD-700s are definitely a possibility, just looking for something different.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 48
AD-700s are basically open A700s, right? So the fit shouldn't be a problem. As for amps, if I could get a fairly cheaper one, I wouldn't have a problem with it, I don't really want to close any doors, just want to see all my options.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 48
No, actually the consensus seems to be the AD700 and A700 are not alike. I owned the AD700 and A900 at different times, and they did not sound alike at all to me, except both had a big sound stage. They even fit different too. Search "AD700".

Your priority seems to be a huge sound stage. That would be the AD700. Any of these other headphones would take up too much of your budget and leave nothing left for an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD-700s are basically open A700s, right? So the fit shouldn't be a problem. As for amps, if I could get a fairly cheaper one, I wouldn't have a problem with it, I don't really want to close any doors, just want to see all my options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back