AKG 240M Versus Grado SR80
Jun 8, 2004 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

maestro21

New Head-Fier
In the market for new cans, narrowed my choices down to the AKG 240M and the Grado SR80's. Was wondering which one of the two is the better pick overall.

Thanks

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 15
Please tell us why you narrowed it down to those two cans.
I really see no reason why anyone should want to buy the K240M
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 15
No particular reason, just wanted a good set of phones, and I've read in some reviews that the AKG's were good, and that the SR80's were good as well. Just needed an opinion which one of the two was the better pick in terms of sound quality, comfort, etc....

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 15
The 240Ms are 600 ohm and really only suited for studio applications, or if you have a really beefy amp that's capable of driving that. The SR-80s on the other hand are 32 ohm, and are pretty easily driven.

There is a solution to this, the 240S. It is a 55 ohm version of the 240M, and from what I've seen has a number of improvements over the Monitor version. As far as which one is better to pick, they both have their own sound. The 240s are warm and groovy, with a smallish soundstage. I'd recommend searching on the board(if the search is up) for reviews of these phones.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Well, what kind of sound do you want (Smooth, laid-back or agressive, involving)? How important is comfort? What's your budget? Closed (Isolating) or open (non-isolating)?

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 15
I had originally decided on the grados but had heard that they have some comfort issues and thats what got me looking back into the AKG's, however, are the grado's really that bad in terms of comfort and if so is there a solution, or anyplace where i can get their new ear pads?

Thanks

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 15
maestro21,

Which source and/or amp are you planning to drive your new headphones from?

If your only source/amp is a portable player, you cannot use the AKG K240M's at all - at a nominal impedance of 600 Ohms, they require far greater voltage output than what any portable player can put out. The K240S (not the K240M), on the other hand, can be driven directly from a portable player to moderate listening levels but will still sound better with an amp.

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by maestro21
I had originally decided on the grados but had heard that they have some comfort issues and thats what got me looking back into the AKG's, however, are the grado's really that bad in terms of comfort and if so is there a solution, or anyplace where i can get their new ear pads?

Thanks

Grados are not uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, there are many headphones out there that are worlds more comfortable, however they are by no means uncomfortable.

There are a bunch of options for different pads for the Grado line. Check out Todd The Vinyl Junkie (linked from the top of the page). I don't have the sr-80 but I do have the sr-60 and replaced the stock comfies with a nice set of flats and the difference in sound (especially bass) is very noticable (although the flat pads cost around $30).

Another thing... why did you opt for the 80 over the 60? Don't get the 80 just because it's "one model higher" in the line. In my opinion, the 80 is just a more expensive version of the 60 (as in no difference other than the money you shell out; actually I would argue that the 60 is superior to the 80 especially if you are going to use them for portable use).

I would either get the 60 or make the jump to the 225. Forget the AKGs
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
If you want to use them for portable reasons, forget both. They're huge, ugly and leak sound...
wink.gif

Just tell us what your budget is, ok? Trust us... ^^

Then, according to your logic, forget everything but the stock freebie headphones/earbuds that originally came with your portable player, because even the cheapest "upgrade/replacement" headphone is too expensive compared to the improvement in the sound quality that they deliver over those freebies
very_evil_smiley.gif

(Note from moderator: The above sentence is sarcastic
rolleyes.gif
)

Closed/sealed headphones that isolate are too big or too expensive or sound like crap. And the smallest "closed" non-canalphone headphone would disappoint many people, since they are extremely sensitive to fit and positioning, and would slip out of position all too easily. (The Senn PX200 didn't work for me at all due to the poor fit giving weak bass response and nearly nonexistent isolation.
frown.gif
)

And some people find every one of the small, portable headphones terribly uncomfortable for them to wear, even for a few seconds...
mad.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 15
Come on, there are a lot of better alternatives for portable use than Grado or AKG. The Sennheiser PX-series comes to mind, even the KSC-35 would be neat since they're so small and deliver such a huge sound unamped. I even doubt the K240S will sound better unamped than them.
Then there are the various in-ear headphones... Shure E2, Ety ER-6, both seem like a good deal for ~ 100 $.
Of course, not everyone would be satisfied by those above. But they should at least be checked out
wink.gif

-Taurui

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
Come on, there are a lot of better alternatives for portable use than Grado or AKG. The Sennheiser PX-series comes to mind, even the KSC-35 would be neat since they're so small and deliver such a huge sound unamped. I even doubt the K240S will sound better unamped than them.
Then there are the various in-ear headphones... Shure E2, Ety ER-6, both seem like a good deal for ~ 100 $.
Of course, not everyone would be satisfied by those above. But they should at least be checked out
wink.gif

-Taurui

I do know that. But I fall into the group that finds every one of the small headphones terribly and painfully uncomfortable! My headphones must be huge - or else I cannot stand wearing them for even two seconds!

Sorry for ranting, but that's exactly what my own personal experience with small, portable headphones has been.

And another rant alert:
Some small, "portable" headphones are portable only in size - only that they really need a huge amp in order to get any sound out of them at all. And the small but really inefficient 'phones cover all sorts of different price points - even the really cheap, sub-$10 range.

Jun 9, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 15
there's waaaaay too much passion in this forum!!!!! But those of you who focused on answering my question....thanks, I appreciate it....I think in the end I'll probably scrap the idea of AKG and the SR-80's and go for the Grado SR-60. From what I have read they are the same as the 80's only less bass and smaller pads, but Is ave 20 odd dollars....

Thanks for the help, although some of you are most welcome to continue to express your passion for cans and such.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back