AKG 240DF first impressions
Dec 20, 2002 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Radian

New Head-Fier
Well I got the 240DF tonight to add to my selection of studio/location headphones and I wasn't expecting much. Firstly, this is just after running them on a high end home mini system, Sony MHC-C90, which I'm sure is not made anymore. Tests with pro equipment await. I'm going by the "all other things being equal" theory by using the mini system in that if you use so called crap ('crap' compared to a dedicated preamp and esoteric cable) to test everything and you become familiar with the characteristics of your crap then you can possibly make some valid criticisms. I know, not exactly Planet Accuracy, but the stuff I'm going to mix has to play well on little home systems anyway, among other things. Even more funny that I'm running a 600 Ohm headset through a mini system, but I think my theory may still hold as long as it delivers sufficient volume.

Well, I was quite impressed. I tend to be a perfectionist so I have to say they weren't perfect but they were definitely impressive. The definition was mostly what got me. No arguing the highs are the most pronounced element but the mids are there too, they're just not upfront and center, which is good. The mids are definitely there and distinguishable. Bass, lol, not happening if you want to listen with no EQ. With the built-in EQ I punched up at 63 Hz practically all the way and rolled off from there. Then I brought it down one notch at 16 kHz, and the sound was there -- good open and defined soundstage but not overly done like the 240Ms (ie. in comparison), there was still some sense of tightness happening and this was nice how they managed to get a relatively open feel with some intimacy going on. The final word I think would be
a nice blend of definition, openness, and just a touch of tightness aka punch or "fun".

If you are considering these, be warned, they sound "open" to others as well, as much as open can sound. If you have someone with you in the room it will almost sound like you're using a speaker. The leakage is that much. I suspect this set will definitely need to be kept on hand in the studio.

Next up I'm going to try the 240S. I hear they accentuated the bass on those compared to their mother, the 240M, but I sure hope they didn't screw up the 240M sound. It'll be interesting to see how they've "improved" the 240M sound.

If anyone wants to hear more I'll post further about the 240DF as I continue testing them on different equipment.

- Radian

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 9
For the record, I'll have to admit that my K240DF's are the ONLY currently-produced commonly-available headphones that I can trust if I have to connect headphones to a high-impedance HP out, such as that "speaker-amp-filtered-by-cheap-resistors" setup that passes for a headphone amp built into home receivers and integrated amps. They're somewhat bass-light, and their 600-ohm impedance is sufficiently high - thus they're less likely than most other headphones to sound murky out of a receiver HP jack. (BTW, even my Sennheiser HD 600's can sound overly thick out of the receiver's HP jack.)

Also, you've posted in the wrong forum. I will move this thread to the Headphones forum.

Dec 20, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 9
I have both the 240DF and 240S.

While they have some similarities, the are indeed quite different.

The 240s is a smart move by AKG. Most people have low-power headphone jacks, and the 240s will definetly sound good from these, and easy to drive. Yup, AKG discovers bass with the 240s.

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the impressions on your cans Radian!! It's nice to hear some fresh input on some cans that we don't hear much about round these parts. Please post some further comparisons and impressions of your headphones as it will give us more info and help us recommend them to others who might be looking for some cans in that price/performance range!!

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Radian -

Thanks for your post. I am always wondering about pro audio equipment like these cans. I always imagine that if they are what the studio pro's use, there must be a reason. And hopefully (at least) one of those reasons is sound quality. I happen to like the sound from some studio monitor speakers and wonder why that is not considered "audiophile" quality, especially if those are what is used to produce the recordings to which we listen! But I realize that there are other factors in choosing pro equipment that just sound quality.

I am curious about the 240DF's , and the 270S's that have recently come down in price. But there is a dearth of info about them on the headphone boards. Your impressions are valuable to someone like me. Have you heard the 270S's? While there are a few positive posts, Headroom's one review seems to have overshadowed all the others (for obvious reasons I'd imagine). If anyone has actually listened to them, I'd be interested in hearing some more impressions.

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 9
I am also very interested in this thread. I am still looking for a pair of monitoring headphones (the V6 don't quite cut it 100% for me). Please update this with any more thoughts you have on the AKG 240 series!

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 9
I was a Koss-only man for years. Then I started recording people in a small studio. The sheer comfort of the AKG 240 DFs won me over! Amazing how the headband just auto-adjusts to anyone who wears them. Bought two more, I was so fond of them and still am.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi Meguerra:

Being a recording engineer, part-time, I find them ever so helpful.

Everyone loves them. But don't get too close to my Neumann mics, though! They'll squeal like a pig!

Have a nice Easter.

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back