AK SP1000m vs. existing set up (Mojo + Woo WA8)
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

forbiddenbeat

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, happy new year! I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my current listening set up. I mostly listen to music at home while working (I work at home), and occasionally on the go. I have a Woo Audio WA8 that I use for my home set up, and a Chord Mojo for travel/working from a coffee shop. My source is always my desktop computer with Tidal + Roon, or occasionally my iPhone with Tidal on the plane.

I am selling my Focal Utopias, so I will only be listening to my Empire Ear Phantoms from now on. I'm considering selling the WA8 + Mojo and getting an AK SP1000m, both for use as a USB DAC at home and a DAP on the go. I'd love advice on whether this would be a step up from the WA8 and Mojo, and/or if anyone has opinions about making this move.

I'm primarily interested in a) MQA support (I listen to a lot of Tidal MQA albums), and b) overall improvements in sound quality.

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

I'm in similar boat. I do have mojo for mobile, but considering switching to dap. I tried ibasso dx200, and although mojo sounds not that fast and has smaller soundstage, doesn't have bass, and overall has less resolution then ibasso, but so far I still do prefer it. It just sounds more natural for me.
Let me know how do you like sp1000, if you have one, in comparison with mojo. I heard that Hugo 2 is more neutral, not sure if that is what I would enjoy.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi,

I'm in similar boat. I do have mojo for mobile, but considering switching to dap. I tried ibasso dx200, and although mojo sounds not that fast and has smaller soundstage, doesn't have bass, and overall has less resolution then ibasso, but so far I still do prefer it. It just sounds more natural for me.
Let me know how do you like sp1000, if you have one, in comparison with mojo. I heard that Hugo 2 is more neutral, not sure if that is what I would enjoy.

Hey there - replacing my Mojo and Woo WA8 (which I really loved) was definitely the right call. The SP1000 really blows both of them out of the water across the board: detail, soundstage, etc., and has a slight overall warmth that I appreciate. From reports I've read, the Hugo 2 may be more detailed, but in a way way be more fatiguing for everyday listening (I listen while at work).

So, replacing a desktop and portable with a portable was a win for sure. That said, I bought the SP1000 used so it was a wash cost-wise, but if I was paying SP1000 new prices, I'm not entirely sure I'd say it was worth it. That's personal preference of course - there is a definite improvement, but for $1000+ more, I was probably fine with the WA8 + Mojo (which are both awesome).

Edit: Oh, one more benefit of having the SP1000 is the balanced output. I'm listening to Empire Ears Phantoms, and plan on upgrading the cable to a balanced one soon.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey there - replacing my Mojo and Woo WA8 (which I really loved) was definitely the right call. The SP1000 really blows both of them out of the water across the board: detail, soundstage, etc., and has a slight overall warmth that I appreciate. From reports I've read, the Hugo 2 may be more detailed, but in a way way be more fatiguing for everyday listening (I listen while at work).

So, replacing a desktop and portable with a portable was a win for sure. That said, I bought the SP1000 used so it was a wash cost-wise, but if I was paying SP1000 new prices, I'm not entirely sure I'd say it was worth it. That's personal preference of course - there is a definite improvement, but for $1000+ more, I was probably fine with the WA8 + Mojo (which are both awesome).

Edit: Oh, one more benefit of having the SP1000 is the balanced output. I'm listening to Empire Ears Phantoms, and plan on upgrading the cable to a balanced one soon.

Thanks for update! Do you mean SP1000 or SP1000M?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back