AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Jun 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #556 of 735

That would be interesting indeed!
I decided to do the mod as I absolutely love the form factor of the 240SS, and cannot stand the sizes and dimensions of the 380 and other players. Since I like the current 240SS body so far, I thought I might as well make it as great sounding as possible!

Sounds like the justification I'll use when I update my SS. 
size]

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #557 of 735
Question: how do you guys care for the stock 240SS case?
Mine has a more suede-like material compared to the regular 240 case, and I think that continuous use has caused it to develop a sort of wet dog texture... Nasty. Has anyone encountered and successfully reversed this?

As alternatives, I'm considering buying an EASECASE or getting a customized leather case, but the EASECASE seems sketchy and I'd rather not spend hundreds on a custom case order.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #558 of 735
  Question: how do you guys care for the stock 240SS case?
Mine has a more suede-like material compared to the regular 240 case, and I think that continuous use has caused it to develop a sort of wet dog texture... Nasty. Has anyone encountered and successfully reversed this?

As alternatives, I'm considering buying an EASECASE or getting a customized leather case, but the EASECASE seems sketchy and I'd rather not spend hundreds on a custom case order.

I used my case for awhile and it developed a slick feel in certain areas. These days, I use no case because I love how the SS feels in my hand. In fact, I removed the protective screens as well.

One of the little known differences between the 240 and the SS is the rear panel is made from glass instead of plastic.

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #559 of 735
Well I received my 240SS mod a few days ago and have been burning it in since. Unfortunately, I have an ear infection and won't be able to give any impressions until it's better. Boo hoo.

I guess this could work out for me, since the solder used for some of the components (Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold) are said to take hundreds of hours of run in to sound good. Who knows?

Also on a side note, I've gone with the stock OpAmps as I didn't really enjoy the OpAmp swap.
Will update soon!

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #560 of 735
Well I received my 240SS mod a few days ago and have been burning it in since. Unfortunately, I have an ear infection and won't be able to give any impressions until it's better. Boo hoo.

I guess this could work out for me, since the solder used for some of the components (Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold) are said to take hundreds of hours of run in to sound good. Who knows?

Also on a side note, I've gone with the stock OpAmps as I didn't really enjoy the OpAmp swap.
Will update soon!

Is this the Red Wine Audio mod or your own? I always wondered which opamp the 240SS uses for the amplifier. Can you say more about that?

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #561 of 735
Is this the Red Wine Audio mod or your own? I always wondered which opamp the 240SS uses for the amplifier. Can you say more about that?

This is the mod by Musashi Sound Technology that I was discussing earlier.
I am told the stock OpAmp used is OPA1611.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #562 of 735

This is the mod by Musashi Sound Technology that I was discussing earlier.
I am told the stock OpAmp used is OPA1611.

I checked out the site. Interesting comment about the IM distorion measuring much higher with the output set to 150. Since I use my 240SS as the source component for my speaker system (Luxman MQ-88, Raidho XT-1s), I'll have to play with that. Up to now, I've used the line out (I understand this is not a real line out) going to my Luxman amp since it has its own potentiometer (bypassable using the fixed input).

IM distortion is significantly more bothersome than THD.

I'll be interested in your observations ...

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #564 of 735
  Anyone looking for an AK240SS for modding, or otherwise, should check our page, we have just one left, then they are gone forever!

http://www.headamp.com/order/astellkern-ak240-stainless-steel/

My hope is that as the 240SS new stock depletes to unavailable, the value on used ones goes up. Not that I plan to ever sell mine, but in the event I decide to, it would be nice to see the selling prices reflect the uniqueness of this reference quality DAP.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #565 of 735
Just sent my AK240SS for a complete overhaul/mod by Musashi Sound Technologies, pricey as hell but after hearing the partial mod I was blown away.
The partial mode gave the 240SS an energy and clarity to the sound that topped that of the 380 Black.
Will post impressions once it arrives!

Would you please let me know how to get more information about Musashi mod?
How can I contact him?

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #568 of 735
Hi all,

After almost 2 years of enjoying the AK100ii, I've decided to make the leap to the 240.

I have an opportunity to buy a very lightly used AK240SS for a very low price (~1350 USD), or a normal AK240 for about 200 USD less.

The only thing stopping me from buying the 240SS is that I've read about issues such as ground problems due to the body being stainless steel, the volume knob being loose, and that the 240SS is heavier than the 240.

How significant are these issues? and does anyone knows exactly how much heavier is the 240SS compared to the stock?

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #569 of 735
Hi all,

After almost 2 years of enjoying the AK100ii, I've decided to make the leap to the 240.

I have an opportunity to buy a very lightly used AK240SS for a very low price (~1350 USD), or a normal AK240 for about 200 USD less.

The only thing stopping me from buying the 240SS is that I've read about issues such as ground problems due to the body being stainless steel, the volume knob being loose, and that the 240SS is heavier than the 240.

How significant are these issues? and does anyone knows exactly how much heavier is the 240SS compared to the stock?

Thanks!

2.5 balanced issue can easily be fixed. The body shouldn't touch the cable connector.

Volume wheel is known and much pronounced in ak240ss than in ak240. Still not all ak240ss has this but eventually they will get it.

It is heavy but u can carry it with you. Having it in ur pocket isn't wise because it is thick and you don't want to damage the wheel

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #570 of 735
2.5 balanced issue can easily be fixed. The body shouldn't touch the cable connector.

Volume wheel is known and much pronounced in ak240ss than in ak240. Still not all ak240ss has this but eventually they will get it.

It is heavy but u can carry it with you. Having it in ur pocket isn't wise because it is thick and you don't want to damage the wheel

Thank you, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back