AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #61 of 735
Hello Rudi thands for the feedback, I have not tried the SS, but compared the Lotoo to the AK240 and it is true the Lotoo stage is a bit more narrow. However, I do not find it veiled, it is more that the Lotoo has a deeper soundstage, so mids come from further. The 240 wins in clarity anyways but I wonder if the Lotoo does not have better driving power for cans.

Hi Michael you are right that

Lotoo Paw Gold has bigger Power than AK 240 SS for driving headphone .

In term of Sound Quality AK 240 SS is one level above Lotoo Paw Gold , from the price different is a lot too .

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #62 of 735
if you use the hugo then the sound quality of the ak100 or 240 or whatever u choose to use becomes irrelevant....if you use the hugo with the 240 then you are no longer using the DAC of the 240 which makes zero sense to me for such an expensive item

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #63 of 735
hey somphon, now saying your last which is a great idea; maybe do you think a cayin N6 or maybe a ipod touch 5th 64GB with onkyo app would be a very nice & cost effective pairing with the hugo?

If Hugo is you dac/amp, i would use ipod touch with Onkyo HF app
The UI is better and very responsive.

N6 ui takes a bit to get use to and it sound too much like Hugo to my ears to have 2 of the same sound. Better to get something else that sounds different, it can be refreshing to hear same music differently, like hearing different singers.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #64 of 735
makes a lot of sense . i am very very pleased with my good old faithful ipod touch 5 & 3 which have NEVER failed me.that being said only 1 other GUI player i really like is the android.but i will stick with my ipod touch. i wish apple would at least make an ipod touch with more storage like 128GB or even 256GB. Somphon thanks for your input & guidance.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #65 of 735
Because front ends and FWs don't sound different?
blink.gif
One can argue cost effectiveness but I wouldn't argue with someone (Rudi) that owns and compares all of the above. 

I personally don't care much about DSD playtime as I prefer HiDef PCM. I suspect Rudi was mostly using double DSD (higher bit rate, lower life) to get his just over 4 hr play time. I bet it will play 50% to 100% longer with PCM if not using the screen, wifi or bluetooth a lot.

I was surprised at how good the 240 actually is when I finally got to hear one. That and the Angie made a package that I couldn't fault.

I don't know this as fact but talk of an atomic clock generally refers to a caesium oscillator clock for the dac section. They're very accurate. Don't know why anyone would think it has any relation to a battery. Also don't know if there's a caesium oscillator small enough to use in the PAW Gold. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #66 of 735
  if you use the hugo then the sound quality of the ak100 or 240 or whatever u choose to use becomes irrelevant....if you use the hugo with the 240 then you are no longer using the DAC of the 240 which makes zero sense to me for such an expensive item

Yes indeed.
I have been wondering why I should partner the AK240 with the Hugo in order to achieve a better SQ.
To me, it makes no sense.

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #67 of 735
The only reason would be is that you use both at home, but 240 on the go. Many consider 240 to be TOTL for portability, so why have a "lesser" dap?

Or some may actually hear a difference, which I don't really understand since bypassing the DAC and all that... But hey this is head-fi, where the laws of physics and common sense are not applicable. I'm definitely guilty of losing my common sense, which has cost me a lot more "cents" :wink:

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #74 of 735
Crazy price, i will take Tera any day :)

Yes it does seem just a bit high but then the asking price of a Tera is up there as well. The ebay price for the SS version on the link is for someone not like me, they have money to toss around. :^)

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #75 of 735
Yes it does seem just a bit high but then the asking price of a Tera is up there as well. The ebay price for the SS version on the link is for someone not like me, they have money to toss around. :^)

Best wait for your dealer to get the stock in, you can save over $1k for sure from that ebay price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back