Aiwa XP-500
Feb 9, 2003 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I knew it was around here someplace...

I just found my old portable CD player. It's an Aiwa XP-500 manufactured in June 1995. I quickly listened to it from the headphone jack and from the line out using my Super Mini V4, my PX200s and my PortaPros. It sounds pretty good but I don't have time to listen to it very much. I'm moving in a few days and today is honey-do day.

Does anyone know how this compares to some of the "legendary pcdps"? How about to the pcdps of today?

Feb 11, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Ugghhh! I guess it's not so great
eek.gif

Nobody responded
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 10
i had an aiwa xp-540 (or 570, not sure). It had commendable sound quality, just nothing to write home about. I have my D-25S so I gave the aiwa to my brother entrusting that he will not sell it off w/o my expressed permission.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 10
I've been using this player pretty regularly for a while now. It has decent skip protection. Battery life is about 6-8 hours. I remember it having an external battery pack that really extended battery life but I can't seem to find it. The sound is decent, Like AIM9x says. Sounds better than my Archos Studio 10 but probably not as good as my MZ-R70 MD. However, I don't have a lot of music recorded to MD so the PCDP gets more play. I debating whether or not I should buy a new PCDP, or invest my money elsewhere.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't know the models in question, but I recently got an Aiwa XP-7 as a fixer-upper. The repair was mechanical, but it took awhile to find and diagnose everything that needed doing, and the final repair had a bit of Mickey Mouse about it (I had to glue together a broken part). Now that it's working, I need to do some more extensive listening. My initial read is that it's a top tier player, competitive with the best of the Sony's.

Apr 27, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I don't know the models in question, but I recently got an Aiwa XP-7 as a fixer-upper. My initial read is that it's a top tier player, competitive with the best of the Sony's.

Curious as to when the XP-7 was manufactured. My XP-500 was made in 1995. Possibly, if the XP-7 is from the same era the quality could be similar. If the XP-500 would also be considered a top-tier player then I need look no further for another PCDP. Not ever having another one, I have nothing to compare it to.

Apr 27, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 10
I suspect the XP-7 is an earlier model. No skip protection. Sensor for a remote control which I don't have. 1 bit DAC. Toslink digital output. Clear plastic at the right front of the cover, which allows the disk to be illuminated with orange LED's from below...very cool effect.

Apr 29, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 10
i have an aiwa xp-5xx something long agobut i broke it, the laser lense is screw up, i could have use it to recharge AA batteries but i screw that up too, dammit. and i slam my car door on my imp350 controller. jezz, is the px200 flexible i really don't wanna break that when i buy it.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 10
It is a good pcdp. It is much better compared to sony`s mid level discmans such as D-E350 or D-EJ106CK. Build quality is good, bunch of features (battery charger) and great soundstage (both headphone and line out). As usual, older players (1995) like this one are better than most newer pcdps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back