AirPods
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #586 of 709
I achieved a much better fit using Sony Hybrid tips on the Beatsx. The comparison between the AirPods and the BeatsX is complicated by their strengths and weaknesses combined with use case. As I walk around during the day, the AirPods are definitely the way to go as I don't want to be isolated and I love the convenience factor. I f I need isolation and want to hear sub-bass, the BeatsX are the deal. I also don't find the AirPods sound to be offensive or piercing at all but maybe I am getting a decent fit. They never fall out even when running.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #587 of 709
But didn’t you hear the much richer mids and full sub bass of the Beats X?? Where is AirPod better? It has nothing to do with fit. AirPod bass is practically non existent in comparison to Beats X or any other in ear for that matter. I still like AirPods for phonecalls and some music listening at home. But what to like from AirPods when I am in the metro with all train noise entering my ears?? I cannot hear any music in this scenario even at 90% volume! Also AirPods’ volume of 90% is equal to BeatsX’ volume of 60%. AirPods at 90% are naturally presenting distortion in the high region especially, which is non existent in BeatsX’ 60% volume! Of course AirPods are more convenient, even though you occupy a pocket of your jeans for their case when you can just hang Beats as a necklace. But in any case wire free is definitely more convenient. But that’s all there is to it. Sound is thin on AirPods! No full impression, no warm sub bass! Nothing to invite you to liking the audio outcome. It’s balanced and actual, but too cold and radio like, IMHO!! I cannot enjoy audio when mids are thin, and that’s my problem with AirPods, as well as the non existent noise isolation. Of course it’s just my opinion of how AirPods sound to my ears...To each his own...

Of all people I’m surprised to hear this from you since you agreed with my dislike of traditional IEM’s.

I have a theory that you get used to what you’re listening to if you listen long enough and begin to prefer it. I.e. if I get used to the AirPods, I prefer the presentation of some songs on it as opposed to the Solo3 (which I’ve lost my taste for it’s overexaggerated bass) or even the Sennheiser HD1 Wireless.

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #588 of 709
I achieved a much better fit using Sony Hybrid tips on the Beatsx. The comparison between the AirPods and the BeatsX is complicated by their strengths and weaknesses combined with use case. As I walk around during the day, the AirPods are definitely the way to go as I don't want to be isolated and I love the convenience factor. I f I need isolation and want to hear sub-bass, the BeatsX are the deal. I also don't find the AirPods sound to be offensive or piercing at all but maybe I am getting a decent fit. They never fall out even when running.

They also never fall out from my ears as well and I also get a very good fit with AirPods, but fit has nothing to do with the fact that their sound is cold, without any sub bass, as well as that you have to reach 90% volume on them in order to hear audio details when out. I did not compare with BeatsX for nothing but audio quality. Of course AirPods win in convenience, but their audio quality does not match my music taste and my love for bass and warmth. AirPods are just good for calls imho.

Finally you do a common mistake and apply different ear tips to different ear phones without paying attention to the hole’s diameter. Sony hybrids are having a rather smaller bore than the one of original BeatsX’ tips. As a result you get a different sound from the one required. Most importantly you kill highs by using a smaller diameter bore! Of course Sony hybrids to me are the best and most comfortable silicone tips in the world, but they don’t match everywhere, unfortunately!...

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #589 of 709
Of all people I’m surprised to hear this from you since you agreed with my dislike of traditional IEM’s.

I have a theory that you get used to what you’re listening to if you listen long enough and begin to prefer it. I.e. if I get used to the AirPods, I prefer the presentation of some songs on it as opposed to the Solo3 (which I’ve lost my taste for it’s overexaggerated bass) or even the Sennheiser HD1 Wireless.

Please please, let’s not get so low as to compare the Sennheiser HD1 with AirPods!! Please don’t do that to yourself, it’s so insulting even to think about it!! In another thread you started to compare initially the Studio3 with Sennheiser HD800 (!!!!), and you got some good answers from people there!! Please don’t do that again here!! Every time you get a new toy you love it more than your previous toy! Or every time Apple give you a new wireless W1 you love it more than your older wired, but audio doesn’t work this way! Please control your self somehow... Apple give us good and useful toys, but they will never produce an HD800 because they are the biggest tech company in the world and their target audience is different, as simple as that...You will never find it all in one package, forget about it!

I also used to dislike some traditional iems but BeatsX are different, well studied in every detail and very comfortable! Even just the idea of making a cable that does not touch your face is quite remarkable! Of course I don’t use BeatsX while running since I never want music while running! And by the way I never understood all of you who run with music, since to me it’s a confusing interference to my own rhythm! I have run 2 marathons up to now and running usually 50 km per week, but i always prefer the genuine techno of my breathing...BeatsX for walking are perfect!!

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #590 of 709
Please please, let’s not get so low as to compare the Sennheiser HD1 with AirPods!! Please don’t do that to yourself, it’s so insulting even to think about it!! In another thread you started to compare initially the Studio3 with Sennheiser HD800 (!!!!), and you got some good answers from people there!! Please don’t do that again here!! Every time you get a new toy you love it more than your previous toy! Or every time Apple give you a new wireless W1 you love it more than your older wired, but audio doesn’t work this way! Please control your self somehow... Apple give us good and useful toys, but they will never produce an HD800 because they are the biggest tech company in the world and their target audience is different, as simple as that...You will never find it all in one package, forget about it!

Agreed, AirPods and HD1 are not in the same league. But in terms of convenience AirPods win, and AAC support on the AirPods vs just SBC with iOS on the HD1 (over-ear) makes it not quite as black and white.

Probably should’ve clarified better in that thread but I was comparing one aspect of the Solo3 to one aspect of the HD800 as measured by rtings to show that Apple/Beats is beginning to care about audio quality. The distortion on the Solo3 is among the lowest for a dynamic driver.

I would go back to my theory that we get used to the gear we’re using, as long as it isn’t obviously bad. The more time you spend listening to a certain song on a certain piece of audio gear the more you begin to crave and compare its presentation on that device.

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #593 of 709
So I'm getting these this weekend for the portability. Does anyone use those silicone straps or ear clips they sell on Amazon to keep them in your ears? I'm worried about fit.

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #594 of 709
So I'm getting these this weekend for the portability. Does anyone use those silicone straps or ear clips they sell on Amazon to keep them in your ears? I'm worried about fit.

Try them out first. They’re designed to fit stably in the majority of ears. For me personally they fit fine without any accessories.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #595 of 709
Try them out first. They’re designed to fit stably in the majority of ears. For me personally they fit fine without any accessories.

I will be doing that but earbuds and me, always a bit of a struggle and I know my ears. They are strange when it comes to buds. I have small canals that need to be "trained" to accept the buds and even then I sometimes need ear clips. If it weren't for the fact that these are tiny and will fit in a crowded bag easily, I wouldn't consider them.

Well actually, I also love bluetooth unlike a lot of people. However, I read a better Siri version may be released this year and a water resistant version may be released next year. Makes me wonder if I should wait a bit, at least for the new Siri version.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #596 of 709
Bought these and they fit a lot better than I expected. However I did have two "fall outs(thankfully while I was on the sofa)" so I'm ordering ear clips just in case. And I will not be going outside with these much in the meantime.

Michael is right about sound quality, way better than anticipated. And I'm getting enough bass for my tastes. I didn't try the volume outside, but they're plenty loud inside. I almost hurt my ears when I accidentally raised the volume too much on my phone. Couldn't hear my roommate calling me either. Outside I do need to hear my surroundings so I wouldn't want true isolation anyway, to be honest. But I also would hope that I can still enjoy music. That test may be tomorrow.

UPDATE: These are a keeper. I tried these at a noisy conference, and I did get some noise cancellation. I don't need total cancellation but I did get almost that. I also got my ear hooks in today and they help with staying put a LOT. I would like to thank Micheal for his enthusiastic review because I was almost going to pass on these completely because of the hype.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #597 of 709
Michael is right about sound quality, way better than anticipated. And I'm getting enough bass for my tastes. I didn't try the volume outside, but they're plenty loud inside. I almost hurt my ears when I accidentally raised the volume too much on my phone. Couldn't hear my roommate calling me either. Outside I do need to hear my surroundings so I wouldn't want true isolation anyway, to be honest. But I also would hope that I can still enjoy music. That test may be tomorrow.

UPDATE: These are a keeper. I tried these at a noisy conference, and I did get some noise cancellation. I don't need total cancellation but I did get almost that. I also got my ear hooks in today and they help with staying put a LOT. I would like to thank Micheal for his enthusiastic review because I was almost going to pass on these completely because of the hype.

Great to hear! AirPods genuinely do sound very good, almost great. The only real fault is that there’s a roll off of deep bass but the mid bass punch is enough for most music. Otherwise you are getting clean mids, fairly detailed bright treble, and a satisfying open sound.

What ear hooks are you using? I’ve considered them as well but they fit fine for me and I don’t want to lessen the convenience factor by constantly removing/installing earhooks.

By the way, Audeze’s Sine is one of my favorite headphones as well. Out of the iSine10, EL-8, and the Sine the Sine were my favorite but I sold them off too quickly since I assumed the EL-8 would be better.

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #598 of 709
Great to hear! AirPods genuinely do sound very good, almost great. The only real fault is that there’s a roll off of deep bass but the mid bass punch is enough for most music. Otherwise you are getting clean mids, fairly detailed bright treble, and a satisfying open sound.

What ear hooks are you using? I’ve considered them as well but they fit fine for me and I don’t want to lessen the convenience factor by constantly removing/installing earhooks.

By the way, Audeze’s Sine is one of my favorite headphones as well. Out of the iSine10, EL-8, and the Sine the Sine were my favorite but I sold them off too quickly since I assumed the EL-8 would be better.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07919Q734/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these. Although I have smallish ears so I'm unsure if they would work for you depending on your ear size.

These particular ones are thin and easy to put on and take off. I think I lucked out on this brand because with other brands, many people weren't happy for the very reason you mentioned. Taking them off to charge is a minor inconvenience for me because I fear losing the Airpods, which would be even worse.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #599 of 709
Just got back from the gym and I find that while the utility is amazing for that usage that when it’s crowded the noise drowns out the music. They sound good and are still quite versatile in a more quiet environment but I’m not sure whether I’d make them my main gym headphones even though I love the form factor. I know it’s only $11 for ear hooks that may improve them for noisier environments but I could buy another set of BT IEM’s for that price...

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #600 of 709
I went the cheap route and while those cheapo BT buds off Amazon are OK, just not my cup of tea in the end. Only one pair was decent, the rest had issues. I'm sticking with known names for BT from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back