AirPods
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #421 of 709
I was saying to you all a few posts back on this thread (see page 24), especially to some so called audiophiles like Bob24, but there was a general denial about AirPods’ audio quality, mainly due to the classic misconceptions and bias. Yes I agree with you, AirPods are quite good in everything! A very big creativity moment for Apple!!

Personal attack a little? :wink: (I never called myself audiophile nor did anyone else I think but I gather in your mind "so called audiophiles" is an derogatory term for people you disagree with?)

And if you summarise what people are saying here it is not much different from what we were saying a few pages back: they are an excellent product for their simplicity and sound better than most people expected based on the EarPods, but audio quality is of course nothing near similarly priced wired earphones and the lack of isolation is a problem in some situations.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #422 of 709
I love the AirPods. But while I was experimenting with other wireless earphones, my wife claimed the AirPods as her own!

I tried the Bose Free. They are good, but lots of left drop outs and they are huge. Currently I have in B&O E8. So far so good.

If these don’t work, I’ll probably just get another set of AirPods. I just wish they had a better fit for me. Edit: I even lost one in the snow while running. I was gutted, but ended up paying $70 for a replacement.

For reference, my daily wired headphones are JH16, and I am pretty pleased with the sound from AirPods.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #423 of 709
Personal attack a little? :wink: (I never called myself audiophile nor did anyone else I think but I gather in your mind "so called audiophiles" is an derogatory term for people you disagree with?)

And if you summarise what people are saying here it is not much different from what we were saying a few pages back: they are an excellent product for their simplicity and sound better than most people expected based on the EarPods, but audio quality is of course nothing near similarly priced wired earphones and the lack of isolation is a problem in some situations.

Actually, I think when properly-fitted they can rival some wired ~ $149-$199 IEM’s.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #424 of 709
259565A7-B46E-40C8-A45C-1831EBF34C62.png

Case in point: Sennheiser Momentum wired in-ear (left) vs AirPods (right)

Attachments

• A3544FCB-381F-4F85-B3B1-12F8C37918F3.png
    A3544FCB-381F-4F85-B3B1-12F8C37918F3.png
    629.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #426 of 709
AirPods are totally without bass??

Rolls off low bass like many audiophile headphones ironically, but retains the more audible bass range over 60Hz. This may be more due to fit since a tighter seal will result in more low bass. It does have a solid mid-bass punch, but I do wish it got deeper. Bass performance compares to my ATH-AD700.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #427 of 709
The more I listen, the better they sound. Call it burn-in, call it a better fit, or just a mental adjustment but AirPods can certainly play with the better IEMs I’ve heard. Still not absolutely perfect, but you’re not losing as much as you’d think for the convenience. I think considering all the significant improvements Apple has been making to their device speakers, the R&D into HomePod, and the popularity of AirPods that Apple is capable of producing AirPods that any audiophile can appreciate — and we’ll see that product within five years.
I bought some old school white foam covers. They fit a bit more snug with a tiny bit more of a seal. Got a 50 pack on Amazon for like 5 bucks. Plus they fit in the case and close and charge while still on.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #431 of 709
Thanks, what I like is that they even fit in the case!

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #433 of 709

I think you got your answer below;

Actually, I think when properly-fitted they can rival many wired ~ $149-$199 IEM’s.

Case in point: Sennheiser Momentum wired in-ear (left) vs AirPods (right)

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #434 of 709
I've found the Bose Soundsport Free to be the audiophile set I was looking for, for workouts. But then just fell in love with the overall sound quality. Awesome imaging, bass, mids, highs. The shallow insert reminds me more of overear than in ear. In a lot of ways, they sound and feel like the Audeze iSine and QC35 had a baby. They knocked it out right out of the park with these. Both for workouts and general listening. Calls are good too.

I now use my airpods mostly for calls or times when the smaller charging case makes more sense to bring with me.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #435 of 709
Actually, I think when properly-fitted they can rival many wired ~ $149-$199 IEM’s.

Disagree. Perhaps more accurately, factually incorrect. This is a similarly bold claim to when Jude called out your post exaggerating the performance post in the Studio 3 thread. Airpods are cool and sound good but they don't compete at all with even $100 IEM like the triple driver. Go the quoted range includes LZ A4, Quad Driver (which I own), Pinnacle P1 or FiiO F9.

You've stated many times on head-fi that you don't like IEM in the first place. I'm commenting for posterity so that anyone who reads this in the future won't be confused by the post here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back